Just talked to eBay about NOT being able to buy coins with eBay Bucks... UPDATE: IT'S A GLITCH

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Jan 4, 2017.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

A representative said all Coins and Paper Money are now excluded, as are gift cards. We can no longer buy coins with eBay Bucks. But I called back 2 more times and talked with 2 other team members and they said it should still work... but it doesn't yet. I was told this last time that "the tech team is working on it."

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Really?! When did that change? You should be grandfathered or something.

4. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

save up for a Yamaha or some stamps or some kind of antique

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The site says it changed as of 1/1/17

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Talk about ridiculous. I guess my current bucks are virtually useless to me then. I wonder how many people are going to win an auction or BIN an item and then not pay the seller after finding this out.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  7. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Can you sell ebay bucks on ebay?

Stevearino likes this.
  8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

no

9. Seattlite86

Happy New Years... :cigar:

Noah Finney likes this.
  10. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Thank you for your continued unhelpful replies. o_O

Noah Finney likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

That was a sarcastic comment commiserating with you in lamenting a policy change by eBay that affects us coin collectors that was made effective starting the new year. I like what you did there though, really classy. I'm going to avoid posting on anything of yours for a while because you clearly feel personally invested/angry at me that you are bringing up something from another thread into this one. I respect you as a collector, we are clearly just not seeing eye to eye today. Have a good one.

C-B-D likes this.
  13. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Although I don't really see anything stating it changed as of 1/1/17 under the terms. Unless they're referring to #12 'Rewards cannot be redeemed for cash but eBay reserves the right to give Rewards in the form of cash in its sole discretion'
    Pretty sure it has always said that, they just must be intent on enforcing it now and angering a ton of sellers/buyers.

Although now that I'm thinking about it this is likely because Ebay has the bucks programmed to work exactly like a gift card in there system. Probably should have seen this coming once they announced gift cards could no longer be used on coins/money. Maybe they'll realize this is is going to anger a lot of buyers who can earn on that category but not buy. As well as a lot of sellers who appreciate the bump in sales Ebay bucks usually brings in and program an exception, though I doubt it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

UPDATE: I just called a third time. Apparently, it's a glitch. The terms and conditions DOES say Coins and Paper Money on the excluded list, but there's a note next to that saying only Bullion within that category is excluded. I reported the problem, and the eBay team member confirmed that the tech team was working to resolve the problem. So it's still not working as of now, but it should be in the near future.

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

THANK GOD!

Noah Finney and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I thought I had seen this same discussion, and this same conclusion, somewhere else.

I'm really sorry that you're having to spend your day dealing with this, but I'm also really grateful that you're doing it, and hope plenty of others are doing the same thing. They need to understand how many people they'll be alienating if they do decide to try this.

It seems to me that eBay is digging itself a pretty deep hole here. They've imposed so many arbitrary and ill-publicized rule changes that we all just assume they're sticking it to us again, even when they aren't (yet).

I also have the impression that their policy changes are outrunning their back-end development process. Just yesterday I was seeing something on a Bucks-related page that's contradicted by current policy; it looks like they're changing policies faster than they can roll out code to enforce them. This could get very ugly for them.

And, as I've said before, I'm really glad I don't work there right now.

C-B-D, Noah Finney and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I also find it sad and funny that the first 2 reps gave me bad information. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Probably because the company's head is too far up the anatomical area that they can't find with both hands. Ahem.

C-B-D likes this.
  19. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Before you buy any arrowheads, visit Alibaba.com, where you will find over 2,500 "arrowhead lots" for sale, both retail and wholesale. The (U.S.) Native American artifact biz has nearly collapsed due to the massive number of reproductions coming out of China and India. These show up at flea markets (and CraigsList) constantly.

Example: (image would not copy)

Black Obsidian 2 INCH Arrowheads | Cheap Arrowheads For Sale | Arrowhead collections for sale

US $1-3 / Piece
    100 Pieces (Min. Order)
    Technique: Handmade
    Material: Gemstone
    Use: Art & Collectible
    Regional Feature: USA
    Style: Folk Art
    Type: Quartz

Noah Finney likes this.
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Ugh.

21. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

well, crap. if you could, you'd at least be able to come out ahead.

Draft saved Draft deleted