Just some older odds and ends (tiberius?)(denarius?)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by colubrid, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It's the third coin you presented in this thread. I would also point out that Doug is one of the resident CT experts IMHO. If he thinks someone should look at a coin, I would find someone. Doug also has the right of it. The first coin has real eye appeal and is the best of the Ancients that you've posted. It should sell without problem.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. colubrid

colubrid Member

I just wondered why it could be fake.. But if I knew someone in my area I would take it to them.. The only thing I can do is send it to someone and have it looked at.

4. colubrid

colubrid Member

If you don't mind me asking .. How do I enable PM?.. I would like to PM Doug but I don't see how to do that. I have not figured that out even though I am searhcing under my username if there is something I need to activate.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I think all you need to do is right click on his user name and you should be able to start a conversation.

I don't think your Tiberius is worth sending off for authentication. It would probably cost more than it's worth. If you know of an Ancients coin dealer in your local area, you could ask. Otherwise, take a better pic and post along with weight and measurements. Like Doug said, I think you should keep it, real or fake; however, I would want to know one way or the other.

6. colubrid

colubrid Member

thanks

got it!

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Neat stuff, yes that Constantius II is very nice!

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The only one

9. colubrid

colubrid Member

Thank you so much! This one I will keep!

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

You have a few winners there (congrats) ....

Ummm, the cow and suckling calf (ummm, maybe Dyrrhachium?) looks a little bit fishy, but hey, I'm no expert so it may still be authentic? (perhaps somebody else can verify if it's a winner or not?)

... good luck with all of them and welcome (hopefully you'll catch the ancient coin collecting bug and we'll hear more from you in the future?)

Cheers

11. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Interestingly, I had the exact same reaction when I saw the Tiberius denarius -- my reflexive reaction was that it appeared to be counterfeit. While silver coins do suffer from corrosion, the pitting on this coin appears different from most denarii that I've seen.

As Doug writes, I would consult a knowledgeable ancient coins dealer to verify whether or not this coin is genuine.

12. colubrid

colubrid Member

Could I just get it checked to see if it is silver? would that prove its validity?

13. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Hello Colubrid, sory to hear of your father passing away...
    nice coins by the way, noone will get sick of seeing nice coins....ever.
    The corrosion is odd on the Tiberius?
    I have PM'd you.....I assume you can receive?

14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

No. Counterfeits of these get made in silver all the time. I wouldn't worry about it, frankly. Even if the coin is genuine, it wouldn't be worth the cost of authenticating it by way of NGC or David Sear or the likes, considering its condition.

15. colubrid

colubrid Member

No one said anything about these coins yet.. What are they and their value?

I wonder if I should just make a new thread for these because they don't match the ancient coins in this thread:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71 likes this.
  16. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The second coin is a Probus Tetradrachm. Here is my example for comparison.

Probus, Billon tetradrachm, Alexandria
    Obv:– A K M AVP PROBOC CEB, Laureate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– None, Dikaiosyne (Aequitas) standing left, holding scales and cornucopia
    Minted in Alexandria Egypt. LB in left field. Year 2. A.D. 277 - 278
    Milne 4522. Emmett 3979(2) R1. Curtis 1846

[​IMG]

stevex6 likes this.
  17. colubrid

colubrid Member

wow cool! Thanks !

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow => that's a sweet coin, Martin ... bravo!!

sadly, I also have an Alexandrian Probus example, but mine looks like it's been in a car crash compared to your example and the OP example ...

*sigh* (man, I need to buy more coins)

Probus AE Tetradrachm
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Date: 280-281 AD
    Diameter: 18.4 mm.
    Weight: 8.1 grams
    Obverse: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Probus
    Reverse: Eagle, wreath in beak; L / S in fields (Year 6)
    Reference: Milne 4632

Probus and or Diocletian Alexandria Tet Eagle a.jpg Probus and or Diocletian Alexandria Tet Eagle b.jpg

chrsmat71 likes this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

For the record, being made of the correct metal means absolutely nothing. Being made of the incorrect metal means more. If you test it and it proves not to be silver, you have your answer but, if it is silver, you know little more than before. A coin like the Tribute Penny was made for several years and trace elements would vary enough that even a complex analysis would prove little unless the metal proved, for example, a perfect match for 1930 silver from Bulgaria or something like that. There are known examples of a faker even using a common, genuine denarius as the blank to make a rare fake. The silver to make a denarius costs nothing compared to the sale price of even common coins. It was worthwhile to fake denarii in the time of Tiberius using poor metal but now it is only done for the worst tourist grade fakes. The Tiberius here is a very common coin so this example, if genuine, might be a good candidate to provide metal to strike a fake Caligula. Few people will actually go to that length to fake coins since there seems to be no shortage of people willing to buy fakes made on old modern silver coins melted down.

There are, by the way, fakes known on metal too good to be real. The infamous faker Slavei seems to have made his fakes of Pescennius Niger on the same blanks as he used for Augustus while the real coins would have less than half the silver in the alloy. The coins are not deceptive to anyone who has ever touched a real one.

20. colubrid

colubrid Member

Very interesting stuff here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

the second to last coin you posted is a maria theresa thaler. probably a restrike (mid 20th century), they're very rare coins. but even some of the restrikes are silver and valuable i think. should have some neat lettering on the edge.

Draft saved Draft deleted