Just some grease filled die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by James.R, Dec 11, 2019.

1. James.R

James.R Just Here

I'm guessing its grease filled die, by it I'm not sure because the whole A is not faded. Just the hole in the A is missing. Not 100% sure on what it could be.
    Oh and I'm sure it's nothing but what is the cause of the T in LIBERTY to make its top sides dissapear?

20191211_213032.jpg 20191211_212452.jpg 20191211_212505.jpg 20191211_213049.jpg 20191211_212439.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Die chip. If it were a filled die, the rest of the A would be missing.

Evan Saltis and furham like this.
  4. James.R

James.R Just Here

Ohbok. I thought die chips were all mostly randomly placed. Like not the middle of a letter.

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Sometimes. They are often caused by the flow of the metal tearing the die apart. Metal flows mostly from center to edge, and certain parts of the die are more vulnerable to cracks and chips than others, due to the design. The inside of the A could be such a part. It's also just as random a spot on the die as any other. The "BIE" Lincoln cent errors also demonstrate this, with the raised part of the die between the B and E being broken off due to metal flow.

cpm9ball and ldhair like this.
  6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Small raise pieces of metal on a dievcan chipvaway with lots of use. Especially those striking copper-nickel planchets.

7. James.R

James.R Just Here

Is that what also causes the mint marks to be filled?

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, and on numbers, too! For example, the post that forms the lower loop of the "8" broke away on this Lincoln cent allowing coin metal to flow into the void.

"Lincoln's Purse"
    1983 Lincoln 1c Filled 8.jpg
    Chris

Coinstruck89 and James.R like this.
  9. James.R

James.R Just Here

Oh ok.. thanks. I understand a little more about die chips now. Are they ALL common? Or are some rare because of the place? Like "Lincoln's purse"

10. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

some die chips are special enough to be their own varieties. I found a "1956 double bar 5" a couple weeks ago, which carries little premium, but still cool and not nessecarily common. IMG_7423.JPG

James.R and Coinstruck89 like this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They're all common, but there is no telling where die fatigue will enable them to form. Some people like to give their "oddities" names to help sell them. Me? I named this "Lincoln's Purse" only because it seemed appropriate, but I intend to keep the coin.

Chris

Coinstruck89 likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All chips are common and expected as the Mint uses dies well past their life span. Nice find.

James.R likes this.
  13. James.R

James.R Just Here

Is the T also die deterioration?

Draft saved Draft deleted