Just snagged this rare Vespasian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

This popped up on VCoins a little while ago. It is a very sought after reverse for Vespasian which features Nemesis. A reverse copied from a denarius of Claudius.

I already have one of these but 2 are better...right?

Vespasian, 69-79 A.D.AR Denarius, 3.15 gr. – 18.9 mm. Rome, 73 A.D.
    Obv: IMP CAES VESP AVG CENS. Laureate head of Vespasian to right.
    Rev: MAXIM PONTIF. Nemesis walking to right holding caduceus over snake.
    C 385, RIC 544. SRCV I (2000) 2304

Vespasian RIC 544 #2.jpg

It will go very nicely along side of my other example.

Vespasian, 69-79 A.D.AR Denarius, 3.16g. 21.41mm. Rome, 73 A.D.
    Obv: IMP CAES VESP AVG CENS. Laureate head of Vespasian to right.
    Rev: MAXIM PONTIF. Nemesis walking to right holding caduceus over snake.
    C 385, RIC 544. SRCV I (2000) 2304
    Ex: E. E. Clain- collection. Ex: Numismatica Ars Classica - Auction 92 Part 2, Lot 2133 May 24, 2016 275 CHF ; Ex: Ed waddell September 7, 2016
    Coin depicted in the Wildwinds.com database.
    Best of type in the Forum Ancient Coins Galleries

vespasian ric 544.jpg

PeteB, Deacon Ray, Nemo and 22 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

You got that for a steal! And both dies are different.

Nice pick-up!

Orfew likes this.
  4. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Both terrific looking coins. I don't think you can ever have too many 1st century coins.

TypeCoin971793 and Orfew like this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice pick up, but your first one is absolutely exceptional, by coincidence I looked at it in Best of type in the Forum Ancient Coins Galleries a couple of days ago, very impressed.

Orfew likes this.
  6. Orfew

Thanks David. I did notice that the dies were different. I find that interesting given the rarity of this type.

7. Orfew

Thanks @octavius In a month or 2 my entire collection will be over 95% first century coins.

8. Orfew

Thanks very much for the kind comments. I was very lucky to find this one especially given the E.E. Clain-Stefanelli provenance. When I saw it I did not hesitate, I bought it immediately. I absolutely love the look of it.

Ryro and Ancient Aussie like this.
  9. Orfew

It arrived today with nice surprise. The seller included a laminated 4X6 card with a photo, the provenance info, and the attribution. This is a nice touch imho.

Vesp_ric_544_no_2_new-removebg.png

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice.

Only 2? :D

11. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful acquisitions, @Orfew ! After enjoying your thread, I searched VCoins and was unable to find another like it.

I must make a confession—During my absence from the Forum, I've fallen back on one of my old habits—I've renewed my NGC membership and sent 90 of my coins off to be slabbed and certified.

Okay guys—I'm ready to receive my scolding. :(

VESPASIAN_POST_IT.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    TIF, David Atherton, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  12. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Naughty naughty!:p

Erin

Deacon Ray likes this.
  13. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

They say confession is good for the soul, but the priest at the end says go and sin no more. Therefore "go and slab no more".
    Always nice reading you entries Deacon.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  14. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

Heh! While I wouldn't do this, and I think it's safe to say you're in the minority of collectors who like slabbed ancients, there are undeniable benefits. While from what I remember NGC doesn't come out and say they certify, as in explicitly vouch for authenticity, I doubt their ancient coin guy (coin guys?) is a newbie. NGC certainly has the budget to get top-rated experts to avoid the embarrassment of slabbing fakes. I have to assume that in their business plan for the ancients section they took this aspect into account as a primary mission.

More importantly, your coins will be safer behind the inert plastic than they would be out in the open. Even the staunchest anti-slabbers among us must cringe on the occasion of dropping one of our coins on the floor or see their kids handle a coin with Cheetos-covered fingers.... things that don't happen when the coin is locked up. If nothing else, the coins will not deteriorate in there and that's an important plus.

Oh, and the fact that if that that NGC plastic will result in an extra bid or two on ebay, at least, making the expense potentially an investment!

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted