just scored a beautiful 42mm Ptolemy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ziggy9, Mar 3, 2018.

1. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Just scooped up a beautiful 42mm Ptolemy from @Ken Dorney 's Vcoins site. I don't want to use his photos without his permission but maybe he will post them here. If not I will post as soon as the package arrives. With the cancer looming over my head I haven'y bought anything major recently but now that i am in full remission I'm back in the hunt!

Carausius, dlhill132, Smojo and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh wow-- YAY for remission! Congrats on your new hockey puck :)

TJC and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Looking forward to seeing this millstone,

TJC likes this.
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Congratulations on good health!

Enjoy it with some new coins!

What are your collecting interests?

:)

John

TJC likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Don't drop it on your toe. My only question was how the obverse 'pit' became so enlarged. It is simple to find sold items on vCoins sites so I assume I have the right coin. It is a good looking item. Mine is smaller (AE36) and was from the first Frank Robinson sale I bid in over 30 years ago.
    g92530b00016lg.jpg

7. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I just noticed the title line How the heck did i mess up "Ptolemy" that bad?

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Congrats on your remission. My father just was cleared of lung cancer last week - no more chemo!

9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Because the P and L are next to one another! I do it all the time. It's a good thing you posted this as I didnt get the notification to ship. It will be in the mail tomorrow Priority. Glad to hear about the remission.

ptol.jpg
    Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt, Ptolemy III Euergetes, 246 - 222 BC
    AE Drachm, Alexandreia Mint, 42mm, 64.67 grams
    Obverse: Diademed head of Zeus Ammon right.
    Reverse: Eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt, cornucopia in left field, XP monogram between legs.
    SNGCop171-2 // Svornos964

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a handsome and hefty ol' Ptolemy that you picked up. Congrats on the remission and the coin!

TJC likes this.
  11. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Very nice Ptolemy indeed!! Congrats on a great coin and a bigger congrats on the remission!

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats on your news @ziggy9 ! Wonderful feeling!

I have the HemiDrachm (yeah, and it is HALF the weight of your monster coin!) and the itty-bitty Chalkous from Ptolemy III:

Egypt Ptolemy III 245-222 BC AE 34mm 31g HemiDrachm Zeus-Ammon Eagle Tbolt SV 965 O-R.jpg
    Egypt Ptolemy III 245-222 BC AE 34mm 31g HemiDrachm Zeus-Ammon Eagle Tbolt SV 965

upload_2018-3-5_7-39-7.png
    Egypt Ptolemy III Euergetes 246-222 BCE AE Chalkous 12.0mm 2.0g Zeus-Ammon Eagle Svoronos 840 ex Righetti Collection

Theodosius, dlhill132, Bing and 5 others like this.
  13. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

Ziggy9, I too had cancer - in 1994. I'm so thankful you are in full remission. God bless you!

Theodosius and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted