Just saying

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kelly Capone, Jan 16, 2021.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Kelly Capone and Heavymetal like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Used copy on eBay within last 10 years would get you in the game
    Will give a general idea of retail prices anyway
    You’ll soon know values. Until then, just ask here

Kelly Capone likes this.
  4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I was showing my wife a picture of one of the Silver Krugerrands just recently struck and she asked me what animal it was on the coin. I told her it was a Reebok antelope. She said she only thought it was the name for a shoe. See, you can learn something from numismatics that doesn't even pertain to coins.

Kelly Capone likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Kelly, the Red Book is the kid with all the candy (in a manner of speaking, lol); that is to say, it's the one most of us start with. It will get you familiar with the basics of grading in all the series of U.S. coin, and it's a good resource to assess relative value among the coins (i.e., which are basically worth more, referred to as the "keys," and generally how much more). You'll see, you'll get a lot of use out of it. After all these years, it's still as good a quick reference as there is.

Here's a link for when you want to see how the auctions are running. Just enter a shorthand description of the coin: https://coins.ha.com/us-coins/.

Good luck! Before you know it, you'll be just like us, addicted. And then, you're in it for life, and there's no turning back. :)

Kelly Capone and Heavymetal like this.
  6. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

7. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Don't worry about asking questions. That's how you learn and I've never noticed any members complaining about valid questions. Besides, I often learn from other questions!

Kelly Capone likes this.
  8. Kelly Capone

Kelly Capone Well-Known Member

9. Kelly Capone

Thank you. I appreciate that!

10. Kelly Capone

Hahahaha. I love it!

11. Kelly Capone

Thanks so much. I think I already am addicted! Ha! The book should get here by Tuesday. I'm very excited!

eddiespin likes this.
  12. Kelly Capone

13. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

Someone on another forum a long time ago advised me to "buy the book before you buy the coin(s)". As my collecting interests have expanded over the decades, so has my numismatic book collection. There are loads of books on specific types of coins from ancients to moderns to history to exonumia. Before you start a new collection, buy a book or two on that subject. You'll learn a lot that way. Welcome to the wonderful world of coin collecting!

Draft saved Draft deleted