Just rejoined the ANA and this was my first e-mail

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by onecenter, Apr 26, 2013.

1. onecenter

onecenter Member

NEWS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, April 26, 2013

Telephone: 719-482-9872

E-mail: pr@money.org

ANA Board Elects Not To Extend Contract
    of Executive Director Jeff Shevlin
    American Numismatic Association President Thomas Hallenbeck announced today that the ANA Board of Governors has elected not to extend the contract of Executive Director Jeff Shevlin.

"After considering the Board's mission and objectives, the Board of Governors concluded that Mr. Shevlin was not the right fit to lead the Association going forward," Hallenbeck said. "The board felt that it was in the Association's best interest to sever our relationship and seek new leadership for the Association."

Rather than extend his contract in June, the Board opted to relieve Mr. Shevlin of his duties.

Hallenbeck said the ANA Board of Governors will discuss a succession plan during a scheduled telephone conference on April 30.

The American Numismatic Association is a congressionally chartered nonprofit educational organization dedicated to encouraging people to study and collect money and related items. The ANA helps its 27,000 members and the public discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of education and outreach programs, as well as its museum, library, publications, conventions and seminars. For more information, call 719-632-2646 or go to www.money.org.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoYoSpin

YoYoSpin Active Member

What one volunteer board of directors sets in place, another takes apart. Merry-go-round exercises like this are all too common with non-profits.

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Apparently no human will ever be an acceptable president for the ANA. Just one of many, many reasons I'll never join.
    Guy

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

The ANA has problems with anyone in the exec. director position. Does anyone know when was the last time an exec director served out his complete contract without being removed?

6. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

My vote is for Detecto. :yes:

7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

The president is Hollenbeck. Jeff Shevlin is the person being let go, executive director. This is the third exec. dir. in a row the ANA has fired.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Will this be the third Executive Director in a row to sue the ANA over his dismissal?

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll bet it is.

10. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Once again no explanation why he was fired. Every single board member blabbers endlessly about how they are going to bring "transparency" to the ANA. And this is what we get. I guess we'll learn what the real deal is once the law suits start flying..,,

Meanwhile, what's the rumor mill on Shevlin?

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Yeah, Ed Rochette. And things ran pretty smooth
    when he was Exective Director.

12. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

All together to true. I've been around non-profits for over 25 years and it's always either a really strong Executive Director and a wimpy board or an active (and strong) board and a revolving door for Executive directors. And money spent for legal defense that should be going to the benefit of the organization...

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

One thing the Press Report does not make clear is whether he has been fired and relieved of his office as of now (In which case he may have grounds to sue for wrongful termination.) or if this is merely a notice that his contract will not be renewed when it expires in June and he is still the Executive Director until then. (In which case he has not been fired or terminated, his contract of employment will merely expire and he would have no grounds for wrongful termination.)

So has he been fired, or simply not renewed? Big difference and the PR is not clear.

14. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I was under the impression they fired him but were going to pay him through the end of his contract which only a couple months away anyway. I may have misinterpreted that of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted