Just purchased an old US Currency collection with $1000 and $500 notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Mark Metzger, May 12, 2021.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

I just purchased a fantastic little collection of US (and a few world) banknotes. I am typically a coin guy, but I could t pass up this opportunity. I’d love to hear folks input on the better notes posted below.
    I am picking up the collection tomorrow but took these photos when I did my initial viewing.
    63DF711F-7A0A-4F1C-AFE1-1DF483BB2321.jpeg 93D49179-9DAA-4FF0-9BC5-EA3C3504A452.jpeg E14081F1-0616-4AEC-AF70-FB5D7E34D34F.jpeg FC94AB8F-3A1E-4485-88B0-391C0BD20E55.jpeg

ZoidMeister, beaver96, Tater and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Now, there's something you don't see every day. (I wouldn't even know where to begin if someone offered those to me as part of a collection.)

I do love the old designs, though.

5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

6. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Curious how much you paid for them :D

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Very nice. Watched a Pawn Stars special (old one) last night that featured a $500 note and a Gold Certificate, both going for $50,000. Of course condition is everything, but if you didn't spend too much, you got one heck of a deal.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  10. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

You're a lucky guy, Show us more.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Too bad these have climbed. I always wanted to own both, (circulated), and keep them in my wallet. Don't judge me, I think it would be cool. I always keep a dozen of so hundreds in there.

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

My input is, did you get a good deal ?

They look in pretty good shape as well :)

Tater likes this.
  13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Nice. A friend of mine worked in a gas station in the early 60's. He called one day and told me that he just got a $20 Gold Certificate. I said hold it until I can get there. Well, the boss came unexpectedly and took the deposit to the bank. Missed it.

Matthew Kruse and Robert Ransom like this.
  14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

What are friends for...LOL

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

I've noticed circulated $500 & $1000 notes being offered for 2 to 3X face, at the very least... but usually a bit more!
    J.T.

16. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Rats!!!

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. Mark Metzger

I paid a bit shy of 2x face and think I did very well. I’m not sure what I am going to do with them since they aren’t my normal focus. I think there’s plenty of meat on the bone to turn a nice little profit.

18. Mark Metzger

Did someone say $20 gold certificate? Got two of those yesterday too.
    B406EB8E-2F7A-473F-B16F-7B30A64A31ED.jpeg 4026028C-38E5-45E1-8A43-285783F910E0.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Back in the early 1990's coin dealers were selling these for about $15-$20 over face. I regret not buying some then. I've gotten some since, bank called me when they came in and sold them to me at face otherwise they had to send them to the Fed. That way I have gotten two $500 and three $1000 notes.

20. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Of all the photos I've seen of $500 and $1,000 bills...the fronts...have never seen the backs until now. Cool.

Copper lover likes this.
  21. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

High denomination notes have been doing very well as of late, even mid-grade examples. Personally, I would send them in for grading and encapsulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted