Just picked up two nice Constans III Solidi!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Dec 11, 2017.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I got home from a rough day of shovelling/blowing snow/ found that I won 2 out 3 lots I had placed proxy bids on. Both are very common coins/ but they are in pristine quality.

Here there are, one is a younger Constans/ second is an older Emperor with shaggy unkept looking beard!

#1 AV Solidus ND Constantinople Mint struck 643-46 21mm./ 4.45g.

obv. Emperor Facing/ Holding Globus Crucifer
    rev. Cross Potent on Four Steps

#2 AV Solidus ND Constantinople Mint struck 659-62 21mm./ 4.46g.

obv. Constans III/ Constantine IV Facing
    rev. Heraclius/ Tiberius Standing

Constans made some very unpopular decisions in the latter part of his reign (other then trimming his beard) He ended up being murdered by his servant while taking a bath.:dead: Note: Constans II was the son of usurper Constantine III/ he was Augustus 409-11AD. His coins are $$$$$$$$$$$$$ image00514.jpg image00514.jpg image00517.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

So 'Eastern'..........

galba68, panzerman and Jwt708 like this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Great captures! Love the portraits on the second one.

galba68, panzerman and green18 like this.
  5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Gawrgeous coins Panzerman! Love them both.

panzerman likes this.
  6. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@panzerman , Sear, Dumbarton Oaks, Hahn, and almost everyone else numbers him Constans II, not III. I see you explained your numbering

but Sear and others just call that one "Constans" and ignore the numbering problem. He is so rare there is little chance of confusing him with the very common coins of "Constans," son of Constantine.

Has some reference source (which one?) convinced you to call the Byzantine emperor usually called "Constans II," Constans III?

panzerman likes this.
  7. panzerman

In ERIC 2 the author names the son of Constantine III /Constans II, so he renamed Emperor Constans II now the III.

8. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

That's some pretty gold!

Thanks,
    Jacob

panzerman likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAng.

10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I am going with the traditionalists. Constans II. :pompous:

Wanna trade one of those for mine? It has a cool graffito and an explosion! :shy:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 9.07.26 PM.png

11. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

He's My Avatar...[​IMG]

Also another name change... if you look at old Auction Catalogs, Constantine VII used to be called Constantine X..

They called Basil I's Son Constantine IX, Theophilus's Son Constantine VIII and Leo V's Son Constantine VII.. but now they are all just called "Constantine"

12. panzerman

My personal feeling, I would agree with ERIC II . Reason, Constans II was elevated to Augustus by his Father/ Constantine III. Second, coins were struck with his image/name. If Saturninus is listed then Constans II 409-11AD should be. The older publications are outdated in many ways, dues to recent discoveries of coins from before unknown rulers. Same for Theodosius III son of Maurice Tiberius/ coins were struck/ so the "old" Theodosius III is now the IV. Nothing wrong with updating coin publications:happy:

Curtisimo likes this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful posts everyone!!

Congrats @panzerman----both coins are magnificent.....but I LOVE the second the most!

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  14. panzerman

Thanks Mikey! They are both common/ but these were esp. nice that the legends are well struck, and they are truly mint state/ Elsen have very high grading standards like CNG.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great pickups @panzerman I love the reverse on the second one.

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful coins!

panzerman likes this.
  17. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Hold on I need something before viewing this post.

img-thing.jpg

Ok I'm ready now. :jawdrop:

Johndakerftw, Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  18. panzerman

Thanks guys:) Now I am to do more snow blowing.....to pay for those coins!

Mikey Zee, coinsareus10 and Curtisimo like this.
  19. panzerman

When I was into collecting butterflies/moths, we always had "newer" publications coming out with revisions in taxonomy/ new sp., ssp., forms which were described/found. Hence all of the classic works were way out of date/ only usefull for their historical value ie: Seitz books/images all hand painted! Same with coins/ probably in time ERIC II will be be revised/ updated with new discoveries.

Draft saved Draft deleted