Just One Franklin Away

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I went through a lot of my junk silver coins and I discovered that I only needed 2 Franklin Halves to fill a Whitman’s folder. I found one of those two today. I’ll keep looking but only when I’m bored or have nothing better to do. Lol That’s a laugh. Nothing special but now I only need one more to have a circulation set.
    25A4FF3B-F887-48E8-BC5D-81FD88F7846F.jpeg 523EA8E4-D51D-43E0-8F71-10593A427A1F.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

And this is the lowest mintage of the entire series for circulation.

4. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I have become a collector of circulated Franklin complete sets and I'm working on my fourth one. Can't help myself when I come upon those low priced halves.

dwhiz, PamR and Collecting Nut like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

I put one together years ago. This set I searched my junk silver buys and only needed two. Now I’m down to one. I only need 5 or 6 in PCGS MS-64 with FBL to have a high grade set but that’s a tough one to put together. They are a beautiful looking coin.

lardan and dwhiz like this.
  6. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

That’s a nice one. Cool just one more?

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

You would be surprised how much dealers want for those circulated sets at the shows. I don't understand it because if you are willing to pay that price, $350 to $400, it does not take that much more to get into Mint State territory.

The 1955 Franklin was a nice find. Those have brought a premium price for many years.

8. johnmilton

I never got into the FBL thing. I was happy if all of the coins in the set were Uncirculated. I guess the 1953-S is the big one for FBL? Some people (Not I) will pay outrageous prices for that coin.

9. johnmilton

Duplicate post.

10. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

This is great. If you need help looking through those old boxes again let me know, I'll try to make it a point to come to assist. Franklins appear to me as really being pushed these days on television. Three things you can always see in some form or another are Morgans, Franklins. and ASEs.

11. Collecting Nut

Yes and my second folder will be completed.

PamR likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

You are correct. In FBL it’s costly. I have a MS-65 slabbed by PCGS but it’s not a FBL. I’ll be patient for this one.

PamR likes this.
  13. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I'm sure there's a box around there somewhere @Collecting Nut there just has to be

14. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

And yes you'd probably be surprised at what some of the others go for in FBL. The price skyrocket in the early 2000s was responsible for a lot of Franklin halves hitting the melting pot. Even some Philadelphia issues can be costly in FBL

15. Collecting Nut

And my set is so close to being completed. I keep looking for the few I need so hopefully I’ll find them soon.

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Most examples of the 53S are weakly struck.
    PCGS shows that it has only graded 50 in FBL.
    and a few of them I would argue aren't true FBL.
    Recent auctions of these coins are above PCGS valuations.

17. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

20210702_094106.jpg 20210702_094141.jpg 20210702_094229.jpg Finished my set years ago, grades range from F to BU.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  18. Collecting Nut

Jeffjay likes this.
  19. Jeffjay

Good place for an obverse example or a 64 Kennedy.

Heavymetal and Collecting Nut like this.
  20. Collecting Nut

I was thinking a nice clashes die like the Bugs Bunny Franklins. :)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  21. Jeffjay

Oops, I said obverse and meant reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted