Just noticed this error

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 29, 2020.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I am in process of making precise data labels. I noticed this Valentinian II AV Solidus has a error in obverse legend. Coin was from NFA auction 1990. I don't have original catalogue to check.

They left out the I in NVS PF AVG should be NIVS PF AVG IMG_0783.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

No error there. VALENTINIANVS is correct.

4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Well, panzerman, if it's an error, it sure is a pretty one. If you're thinking of throwing it away, please keep me in mind. :angelic:

5. panzerman

Thanks! for that! I had an old NFA tag that read, rare variant unpublished officina/ I think it might have been a "brain cramp":dead: I hope I still have that old catalogue to follow up on that. I seem to have all the other old auction catalogues.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Can you show the other side of this coin please.

panzerman likes this.
  7. panzerman

IMG_0785.JPG

8. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

Damn, wish it were mine. Actually, if you want to let me borrow it for a photo I would use that coin's obv for the plates in my next ERIC.

Rasiel

panzerman likes this.
  9. panzerman

You are welcome to use any coin you wish for your fantastic new book, I sure love ERIC-II:)
    John

10. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

WOWWWWW @panzerman that is stunning. I just purchased a Valentinian II solidus, which is a similar type/style, but it is not remotely comparable in terms of grade. That seems to me as perfect a solidus can get!

panzerman likes this.
  11. panzerman

NFA to their credit had impeccable grading standards, sad that they are gone:(
    I would say that for ancients......nobody can/ could beat CNG/ TkalecAG/ NFA for high quality coinage.

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Wow, that coin is amazing. What is the value of this coin and what is the grade of this coin ?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    panzerman likes this.
  13. panzerman

The value, I paid $1200 back in original auction. The grade was "mint state" in NFA description. However, it looks better then a NGC GEM 5/5 5/5. Coin has no wear under 20X magnification. Probably worth 3K today my guess.

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted