Just Nice to Collect or Worth Sumthing?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by LuckyCoin, Nov 10, 2018.

1. LuckyCoin

LuckyCoin HappyHunting

This is just my 2nd box of pennies i'v search thru and found this nice and large die crack. I really couldn't find a straight answer if die cracks are worth anything or just nice collectibles to find. I know the penny itself is pretty beat up but I was just surprised how large the die crack was. Thanks for any advise or comments anybody makes. Thanks for stopping by and....:wideyed: Happy Hunting o_O

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Best Answer
    A Die Crack is not a crack on the coin itself. It is a crack on the Die that strikes the blank planchet. So when the die strikes, the metal flows into the crack leaving a raised appearance on the coin. Many people confuse what a Die Crack actually is.
    That circular looking issue is not raised and cannot be a Die Crack. Looks like someone took a circular sharp edged object and struck the Cent with it.
    There is a mint error know as an Incomplete clipped planchet but when that occurs it cuts into both sides of the Planchet and leaves a similar incused cut such as yours. But yours shows no evidence of this.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

So your saying that the line is completely raised from on end to the other?
    The area starting at the A thru the s of EPU looks scratched into the surface.

Heavymetal likes this.
  5. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing a raised line as would appear in a die crack. I think it could be a sratch or a stain of some sort.

LuckyCoin likes this.
  6. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I didn't address the other issue of value. I don't think this one has any value as I don't think it's a die crack. I have sold a few lincoln cents with die cracks in unusual places and some that are very wide. It all depends on what you have and who wants to pay what for it. I think the most I've ever sold a lincoln with die crack(s) in was for about 2.50 and it had multiple. Not big time money but when you're starting out, it helps you add some funds to your collection if you can find a few! Happy hunting!

LuckyCoin likes this.
  7. LuckyCoin

LuckyCoin HappyHunting

Thanks so much...def i'll have to go double chk and lol bcareful of jumping the gun lol....Thanks for all the advise and comments

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Best Answer
    A Die Crack is not a crack on the coin itself. It is a crack on the Die that strikes the blank planchet. So when the die strikes, the metal flows into the crack leaving a raised appearance on the coin. Many people confuse what a Die Crack actually is.
    That circular looking issue is not raised and cannot be a Die Crack. Looks like someone took a circular sharp edged object and struck the Cent with it.
    There is a mint error know as an Incomplete clipped planchet but when that occurs it cuts into both sides of the Planchet and leaves a similar incused cut such as yours. But yours shows no evidence of this.

9. LuckyCoin

LuckyCoin HappyHunting

Wow always love your detail and knowledge paddyman. Ur replies are always eye opening and taken with great appreciation. thanks so much

Randy Abercrombie and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted