Just need some info. on Silver Proof Kennedy half dollars.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Jun 22, 2018.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Hi Folks. I just added 90% Silver Proof Kennedy Half dollars to my coin addiction just because I think they are beautiful coins. I only purchase DCAM coins. I have been buying raw and a very few slab coins and I must admit I have very many more raw coins than slab due to Social Security pay checks. LOL. I sure ain't rich. I just purchased from ebay an NGC 2018-S DCAM Prf69, First release coin for $29.00 shipped. Do you think the price was in the ballpark? What is the difference between first release and early release marked slabs? Do you think they will increase in value or loose? I know. Crystal ball question. To many questions. Thanks much. first release 2018-s kennedy.jpg

onecenter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

I think $29 is a fair price.
    As for future price... I wish I knew!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Nothing, just what the submitter chose.

5. GUNNER63736

Thanks baseball21. That is what I was guessing on the early and first release marked.

6. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Sweet Coin and price.

7. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

A "First Release" designation is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Dealers/Sellers inflate prices for no good reason but educated collectors see no added value to it. I see no reason these will appreciate in value in the future either. It a coin is common now, it will be common in the future.

TheFinn, Inspector43 and Michael K like this.
  8. GUNNER63736

LOL. That figures.

9. GUNNER63736

PS. I am glad I don't collect coins as an investment. Just do it for my own personal enjoyment.

10. GUNNER63736

Well, I just added another worthless 90% Silver Kennedy Half to the collection. Wifey is going to kill me. Just can't seem to stop myself. LOL.
    1999-s silver proof ultra cameo Ken..jpg

11. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

Still a beauty!
    Pick them up reasonably cheap and nothing to lose.

12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I never could understand anyone investing in "First Release", "Early Release", "First Strike", "First Day Issue" or any of the other marketing gimmicks. The mint produces coins and puts them in storage until they are ready to release. Sometimes it could be over a several month period. It stands to reason that the first ones put in storage will be the last ones taken out. So, if you get coins earlier than someone else the odds are that you got some of the last ones made. Like JCro57 said, they have no added value to a knowledgeable collector now or in the future.

13. Inspector43

I collect dates and mints. I grade my coins Circulated, Uncirculated or Proof. I do use AG, G, F, EF or XF, AU, etc. The mint state and proof range designators mean nothing to my antique ways. They get to be too subjective. But, we all need to have fun and collect coins. I wouldn't designate your 99S as worthless though. It is very nice and a keeper.

Dynoking and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

There is absolutely nothing wrong with those coins. I like ‘em both. If you enjoy having them in your collection, that’s really what counts.

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

We are kindred spirits. I still grade my pieces the old fashioned way too.

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree with the other recent posts. If you like the coins, enjoy the hunt to complete the set, and have reasonable future value expectations, then your doing well

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The “First”, “Early” and other similar marketing designations used by the ‘Third Party Graders’ or TPG’s, were meant to imply that these coins are of better quality. If the mint were to only use 1 single die pair to mint the entire run without repairing or replacing it AND if they were to use a documented FIFO system, then this certainly would be the case.
    In reality, the only thing that these designations prove is that these coins were received by the TPG on or before a specific date, shortly after being released by the mint.
    If you were to compare a group of identical coins with identical grades from the same TPG, with the only difference being the “First” or “Early” type designation, you would find no difference in the quality of the coins.

Inspector43 likes this.
  18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Buy the coin...not the holder. Modern designations mean nothing to collectors, they only clutter the holder with mindless graffiti and raise the price tag. All modern proof coins are "Deep Cameo". The mint has evolved to this level of "Cameo" since the early 90s. Many of the earlier Kennedys are not DCAM strikes because of the primitive die making techniques which were very similar to those used in the 1800s proof coins.

Inspector43 likes this.
  19. Inspector43

I approached a major coin magazine about this a couple of times suggesting an article on the subject. An article that would advise the general collector of the truth about what they are buying. They don't want to touch it because there are too many advertisers that would not take kindly to it. I don't subscribe to those publications anymore.

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Its just someone that sent it to be graded days after the coins release. Means nothing what so ever

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

That '99 is a beauty and you collect whatever you want! Just be mindful that everyone is correct when they tell you that the First Release/Early Release is a gimmick and should hold no extra value. If that is what you collect and are willing to pay for that then be happy with your collection!

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted