Just made my first raw eBay purchase in a long time

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paul M., Jun 20, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Click, "Home" under the editor, then click "Filter" on the right of the page, towards the bottom, "Reflection" shows up, click it, chose "10%" then click "OK"

Paul M. and BigTee44 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

In the numismatic world, he is considered a crackpot!

Paul M. likes this.
  4. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

While rust and toning both are examples of a metal reacting with its environment, the reaction on a silver coin is self-limiting, meaning once the toning/tarnish/patina forms, it protects the rest of the coin's interior from oxidizing. Rust, on the other hand, is not self-limiting. Rust on the surface of an iron object doesn't protect the rest of the object from oxidizing. While both reactions are technically environmental damage (sort of), the silver toning reaction is protective and helps preserve the coin. Plus toning looks pretty nice as an added bonus.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Weimar White can pound sand. :)

6. I personally love toned coins. Gives it personality, and more eye appeal than blast white. But that's just my opinion. I love the nickel, and honestly what you paid isn't that crazy. Plus, if you like it that's all that matters. And like someone else said, others bid against you so that shows the demand. Good score. Thanks for sharing

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Paul M.

Yeah, I'm not worried about paying too much. Even ignoring toning, I'm guessing the halves are MS64-65 and the nickel is MS65-66. That puts all 3 of them in the neighborhood of $15-20 apiece. That means I paid at most $45 or so over "book," which, even if it turns out to have been a mistake, is a mistake I can live with. But, given the seller's reputation on this forum, I don't think it was a mistake at all. :)

8. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Nice nickel. Not too sure about the toned Kennedys.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

Nice toners. Kennedy's with attractive (in my opinion) color are not that easy to find. The nickel was a bonus it is a real clean killer natural toned example.

do you pay too much? Only you know , they are a great trio of coins and you sure could pay a lot more. I say well done and if you like them you paid the right money.

Seattlite86 and Paul M. like this.
  10. Paul M.

+1 to this. I would say that attractively toned Kennedy halves are genuinely scarce.

11. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

Who is Shane?

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

He is the seller, kryptonitecomics. He is a member of CT but doesn't post much anymore.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

He is also an excellent photographer and I have used him to photograph coins for me in addition to consigning to him and buying from him. The halves should look very close if not exactly like the coins in the OP. What did these hammer for?

14. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Well said.

15. Paul M.

UPDATE:

I have had the coins in hand for some time now, but just got around to putting them into Air-tites. The lighter-colored 64 half (which I had high hopes for) has a scratch above the 6 and 4 in the date that's rather prominent in hand, but not obvious in the pictures. It's visible in the pics, but it doesn't look nearly as bad in the pics as in hand. I think that scratch limits the grade to, at best, 63.

The darker half looks just a little bit better than I thought it would. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. Offhand, I'd say it might grade 64-65.

The nickel, I'm very pleased with! I love the light rainbows, which are just as nice in hand as in the pictures. I think I have another gem here, probably a 65.

Overall, I'm happy with the coins, but I wish I had noticed the scratch on the lighter half.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  16. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

nice coin. Again toned like everyone said it all depend on what you like and since you have pay $89. and as long as you are happy with them, then don't matter what everyone think. Sometime you can pick up coins like the Kennedy in toned at you local coin shop for less. It also depend on the dealer if they care for toned coin or not and if not then you can pick them up for almost at melt price. And Yes that nickel is pretty nice.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The guy in the wild looking shirt.:D

18. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

Lol @ Larry. :) Yes, Shane is the seller (Kryptonite Comics) and he deals in Comics as well....and will wear very LOUD comic related shirts. Nice guy. He has a ton of eBay followers that know him for selling toned coins which tend to go for a premium. Buying from him in an auction will likely lead you to spend more. You could have bought slabbed examples for less, potentially, depending on grade etc.

Nice looking coins though. :)

19. Scropper

Scropper Member

I think the coins are beautiful! I sold a spectacularly toned '64 Kennedy some time ago and still regret it. I think what you paid is just fine by me! The lighter of the two is certainly a special coin to behold, and the others are great, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted