Just made my first raw eBay purchase in a long time

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paul M., Jun 20, 2015.

1. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

All 3 are from Kryptonite Comics. I'm hoping they look as good in hand as in the pics. I was looking for a nice 64 Kennedy toner for a type set, and the nickel was kind of an impulse purchase. Final price was $89 shipped for the 3, so not much of a toning premium if they're as nice in hand as the pics.

Ok, now I'm shutting up and posting pics:
    64 kennedy #1 obv.JPG 64 Kennedy #1 rev.JPG 64 kennedy obv #2.JPG 64 kennedy #2 rev.JPG 46 d nickel obv.JPG 46 d nickel rev.JPG

What do you think?

Scropper, Jaelus, imrich and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Personally, I think you payed a lot for those coins. I'm not expert, but i think i would have payed $20-30 for all 3 total (but I'm also not really into toners). But wait for others to chime in.
    Really liking that nickel though

dwhiz and Paul M. like this.
  4. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

While you paid a premium for the toning, I *think* it was worthwhile, but then again, I'm not a huge toned coin collector so I don't know a whole lot about how much toning affects value. I hope they turn out as good as the pictures, because I like the first Kennedy and really like that nickel.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Paul M.

I agree. :) I find the second Kennedy a bit "meh" and I don't like how the toning is fairly dark in some places. But, the halves were bundled as a lot, so I had to bid on them both. Maybe it will look better in person. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    NSP likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

The top one is really cool and should definitely look better in hand. There's a lot of competition on ebay when it comes to buying toners. The fact that other's were bidding right along side of you says you didn't pay too much. Toner's carry a premium, that's all there is to it.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I like the nickel the best

UnCommonCents and Paul M. like this.
  8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Nickels rarely tone like silver coins.
    Mostly pastel colors.
    I like yours.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Same here, I love the pastel colors with sutile rainbow toning.

I cropped put the two photos together so it makes each side easier to see in one photo.
    a46-tile.jpg

dwhiz, UnCommonCents, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  10. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I think any toned coin is unique in it's own way. Makes me wonder the history of the piece and how the toning took place.

Paul M. and coinman1234 like this.
  11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

What program did you use to do this?

Paul M. likes this.
  12. coinman1234

It's a free program, Photoscape, works wonders :) If you get it it will take well under 5 minutes to crop, combine, and post photos.

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

That's what I use too, great program and it's free!! Daniel Carr Tokens 035az-horz.jpg

Paul M., bear32211 and coinman1234 like this.
  14. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Shane's photo tend to be on the bright side, but you know that already just by looking at his pics. ;)

The coins will be attractive, but like most all coin photography, your coins will look different in-hand, under different lighting, and at differnet angles.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. coinman1234

I fixed up the rest of the photos.
    1234567.jpg a46a-tile.jpg

Scropper, Paul M., dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  16. Bill1517

Bill1517 Active Member

Love the Jefferson...

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I like the coins and the price.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. Paul M.

Yeah, I can tell there's a lot of light thrown on the coin, for sure. That's why I'm a little "meh" on the second Kennedy, because it looks pretty dark. I'm hoping my mind will be changed when I see it. :)

19. According to Weimar White, retired chemist, toning on coins is like rust on iron--not a good thing no matter what it looks like.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Paul M. likes this.
  21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Nice score. I'm waiting on a shipment from him myself.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted