Just in case the word is not out on 2021 SE variety

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Apparently, there is a 2021 Type 2 SE with the obverse of the coins with a Type 1 reverse. This make sense as "Transitional" coins exist in several coin series.

I have looked at 2021 Type 1 and 2021 Type 2 SE. The obverse is stronger and different (naked eye) on the 2021 Type 1 coins.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Garlicus, John Burgess and YoloBagels like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Well, nice to hear it, but I guess I'll never find one.

Since I didn't buy any.

4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Can you clarify a bit? Does it have a type 2 reverse with the type 1 obverse? Or type 2 obverse with type 1 reverse?

5. Insider

Best I can do: Apparently, there is a 2021 Type 2 SE with the old obverse used on the Type one variety.

A dealer is paying $300 each raw. Have I seen one? No. Is this a scam? I don't know. Probably by tomorrow the word should spread and we'll know for sure.

Garlicus and John Burgess like this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I happen to have 3 of each on my desk. now these are the bullion type.
    The type 1 shows no AW on the obverse so maybe there are type 2 with no AW. just a guess. 3 2021 ASE Ty 1 2 x.jpg

7. Insider

That seems to be correct.

2021 SE w/o designers initial and old reverse. COMMON
    2021 SE w/initials and new reverse. COMMON

Claimed New variety?:

2021 SE w/o designers initials and new reverse.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That should make it easy to spot. Another easy to see difference is the sun ray through L. On type one it runs through the top of the L and the type 2 it runs through the center of the upright.

dwhiz and Insider like this.
  9. Insider

There are quite a few differences. The drape under the neck and breast is very different. Still, I await the national press release from the Mint. I think if true, it was done on purpose to use up the dies and provoke excitement at the same time.

Penny Luster, John Burgess and dwhiz like this.
  10. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

That's for the heads up, now THAT'S why it's good to keep an Insider around!

it could be a dealer just placed a bounty on it in case it exists so people would look for it. pretty sure it would be worth more than $300 if one turns up and is authenticated though.

I dunno, the possibility exists, I thought there might be a transitional error in the Washington crossing quarters with the obverse of the parks but that hasn't turned up.

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Insider

John Burgess, posted: "That's for the heads up, now THAT'S why it's good to keep an Insider around!"

Insider is on thin ice. I've been banned from a few forums because I treat members of all coin forms as my "family" and treat them as such. Too many snowflakes in forums cannot take the tough love, disagreements, sarcasm, barbs, and jokes present in my actual family when we get together. :(

12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Well that's a shame, I'm just banned from Youtube comments and I might be the reason Yahoo! got rid of the comments also, but that's unconfirmed. :) I've done my best to behave here though. of all the coin sites I like this one the best as far as the people on it so I'd hate to get banned from here.

Capture8954343.PNG

green18, Garlicus and Insider like this.
  13. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

The 2008, reverse of 2007, are selling for a nice premium. Hopefully, the 2 tubes that I just got, and will be opening one soon, are these errors, if they exist.

Side question - Are these ‘seals’ now put on at the Mint, or is this just something JM Bullion did?

2693F9F9-4A5B-4FE5-A49E-5B1FDA825129.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    green18 likes this.
  14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

4 obverse and 2 reverses :0

15. Insider

I don't get to open the boxes anymore but I've seen the seals. My guess is they are from the Mint. They come split in unopened monster boxes that have been knocked around.

Garlicus likes this.
  16. Insider

UPDATE: So many tubes are broken that some customers only want sealed tubes.
    IMO, there is going to be a premium on sealed tubes. ;)

17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

like packs of baseball cards

18. Insider

I heard that one company would put coins in tubes, seal the tubes, and place a grade on the unopened tube. :jawdrop:

:D What a great marketing tool to sell :greedy::greedy::greedy: stuff. BTW, once the roll was opened all guarantees no longer applied. :D

Heck who needs the actual tube. Issue a slip of paper with the grade of the virtual tube the customer paid for. How come no one has bought a great coin like a 1913 Liberty nickel and sold shares in the coin? I'm in the wrong end of the coin business. ;)

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I have seen such tubes in the past from PCGS, NGC and ANACS. I don't recall if ICG has ever done it.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sorry double post

Draft saved Draft deleted