Just in.... AV 8 Escudos 1813/12-NR Neuvo Reinos Mint

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Jun 10, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Got this MS-62 Colombia 8 Escudos (Fernando VII) for bargain price of $1500US:happy: I got home from work last Sunday at 9:30 evening. First thing I did was check auction site. I found no one had bid on this coin, so after my shower/ supper....I checked site, there where 5 minutes left, so around 11:15 I placed my bid and WON! Same coin sold in Stack's Eldorado Sale for double that amt.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

Jeepers, I forgot....sorry! 583279-1.jpg 583279-2.jpg

5. Biurs92

Biurs92 Member

panzerman likes this.
  6. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

panzerman likes this.
  7. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

what a beauty!!!

panzerman likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice.

Almost had one myself in 2009 at a good price, but passed since I didn't know if it was real. Turned out it was :(

panzerman likes this.
  9. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

$1500. - dollars ? Escudos me !!!

10. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

There was something in the air that night, The stars were bright, Fernando. - Though we never thought that we could lose, There's no regret. If I had to do the same again, I would, my friend, Fernando.

panzerman likes this.
  11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Muy bien

panzerman likes this.
  12. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Very nice catch!

panzerman likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It isn't often that something that catches my eye actually makes me go looking. But when I saw this I said what, Nuevo Reinos ?, I've never heard of any such mint - and started looking.

The first thing I looked at was this -
    https://coinweek.com/world-coins/colombian-pillar-dollar/

And I said to myself - OK, that explains it. It's been quite a while since I dug into Pillar dollars ! So it makes sense that something actually new, seeing as it's dated 2015, would explain why I'd never heard of it.

But then I looked some more and found this -
    http://www.sedwickcoins.com/articles/colombia.htm

Now I don't know when Dan added that to his website but it was certainly long after I had last been researching Spanish colonial. And given the dates for literature that Dan mentions, and where it all comes from, that explains why I have never seen reference to this mint in any of the many books I own or have owned or the many articles I've read on Spanish colonial.

In any event, I learned something new as a result of this post and I'm glad it happened :)

Oh, and nice coin ! But I think I've probably said that so many times that it kinda goes without saying :D

panzerman and Jaelus like this.
  14. Clay Bowen

Clay Bowen HaveYouSeenTheWizard?

It's a beautiful coin, even though it has Fernando VII's face on it. Not sure what it is about French and Spanish royalty...

panzerman likes this.
  15. panzerman

Thanks for all those nice comments:happy: Glad that the Spanish Empire produced all those beautifull AV 8 Escudos. These are the only crown sized gold coins that are affordable to average collectors like myself. The AV British 5 Guineas/ Holy Roman Empire AV 10 Dukaten are all very pricey in 100K range:( for mint state examples....

Biurs92 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted