Just how many different types of Altars on Roman coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Since I have been collecting, one type of coin seems to appear the most, whether searching "new coins daily" or just browsing other collections and
    that is what is referred to as a LARGE ALTAR. But in actual fact there is ROUND
    ALTARS, ALTARS with HORNS, ALTARS with FLAMES, SHRINES, SACELLUM, ARA PACIS, and ENCLOSURES. I have a few this one I have just photographed is a Domitian ALTER SHRINE to SALUS, the goddess of health, a shame that it has extensive corrosion around Domitian's bust but besides that good detail, AE AS ROME 85 AD, 9.1gm, RIC 272.

I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO SEE THE VARIETY OF ALTARS YOU GUYS HAVE...
    POST YOUR ALTARS. 20160904_100923.jpg 20160904_101046.jpg

Smojo, dlhill132, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Nice coin. I've only got one altar coin and the obverse is really not in the best of shape. I havent gotten around to getting the weight or diameter yet
    Augustus AE Quadrans Rome mint.
    augustus.png

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, Bing and 5 others like this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

5. Ancient Aussie

Yes I have seen that type before, very different as one of the earlier ones. It looks like your obverse has been to the same place as mine.

Ajax likes this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Orfew likes this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

A couple more of mine, A Sestertius of Marcus Aurelius, Rome mint 161 AD, 25.2gm, RIC 1272. 1000-34-189.jpg

Smojo, dlhill132, Mikey Zee and 7 others like this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Also there is a few 20161001_155253.jpg 2015-01-07 01.07.44-5.jpeg of ALTAR of LUGDUNUM, Augustus AS, c. 9-14 AD,
    Altar of Lugdunum, decorated with corona civica between laurels and nude male figures; on columns left and right, Victories holding wreath;below, ROM ET AVG. 27mm, 10.77g RIC 1, 233. And below that a Tiberius as Caesar under Augustus minted within a couple of years of the top one. 12-14 AD 28mm, 12gm, RIC 245.

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, Bing and 5 others like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great topic... I'm looking forward to seeing all the different ones that'll be shown.

Coincidentally, one of my wins from a couple days back was a Domitian with an altar on the reverse...

upload_2016-10-1_14-38-23.png

DOMITIAN, as Caesar
    AR Denarius. 3.46g, 17mm. Rome mint, AD 80-81. RIC 266 (Titus). O: CAESAR DIVI F DOMITIANVS COS VII, laureate head right. R: PRINCEPS IVVENTVTIS, altar, lighted and garlanded.

Smojo, ancientone, dlhill132 and 8 others like this.
  10. zumbly

A provincial of Caesarea Maritima showing an altar dedicated to Apollo.

upload_2016-10-1_14-40-58.png
    TRAJAN DECIUS
    AE28. 19.77g, 27.8mm. SAMARIA, Caesarea Maritima, circa AD 249-251. Kadman 154; Rosenberger 129. O: IMP C C MES Q TRA DECI[VS AVG], laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: COL PR F AVG F C [CA]ES METR P, Altar of Apollo, with horns; behind, palm tree with dates on left, olive tree on right.
    Ex NAC 59 (4 April 2011), 1420

Notes courtesy of CNG : Kadman (p. 262) notes: "...it must be remembered that according to the myths of the Greeks, Apollo was born under a date-palm and an olive tree. His mother, Leto, who was known in Egypt and Palestine as Lat and in Italy as Latona, was regarded as the fertility goddess of the date-palm and the olive. We may, therefore, assume with virtual certainty, that this altar was consecrated to Apollo."

11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Correct me if I am mistaken but with Cos VII shouldn't that mean that this was issued not long before he became Augustus?

12. Ancient Aussie

That is a great coin, I especially like the portrait so realistic....and that altar would be a normal small one decorated with horns and flames.

zumbly likes this.
  13. zumbly

Yes, this was struck during his last year as Caesar under Titus. Titus died in September, so there are COS VII issues of Domitian as Augustus as well.

14. zumbly

Thanks! The portrait has a real Titus-ish look to it, rather than how he'd look on coins he struck on his own. I really like the altar on it!

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cilicia, Tarsos
    circa 100 BC
    Tyche with c/m & Sandan with Horned Lion, on altar

Cilicia Tarsos countermark.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    ancientone, dlhill132, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, does this Commodus on stage count?

Commodus AE Sestertius
    177-192 AD
    Commodus & Meeting on stage

Commodus Sestertius.jpg

... or how 'bout this Severus example?

Pontus Amasia, Severus Alexander
    222-235 AD
    Reverse: High altar upon which eagle stands facing, head left; above, Sol in facing quadriga, holding whip; to left of altar, tree

Pontus Amasia.jpg

Smojo, ancientone, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

Here is another small lighted altar, Domitian AS, Saecular Games reverse, minted Rome 88 AD, Domitian standing left, sacrificing over altar; to left, lyre and flute players standing right, hexastyle temple in background (Jupiter) with eagle in pediment. 28mm, 11.21gm, RIC 11, 623. 20161001_172103.jpg

ancientone, dlhill132, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  18. Ancient Aussie

No sorry steve that's not an altar, but great coin anyway.

Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
  19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sassanian Kingdom, Peroz I
    459-484 AD
    Reverse => Fire Altar Attendants

sassya.jpg sassyb.jpg

20. Ancient Aussie

Now that's more like it slick coin steve. Although it's not Roman but still in the theme of the thread.

stevex6 likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

well => 2.5 outta 4 ain't bad

:panda:

... that was a pass where I grew-up

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted