Just had a "Duh!" moment: CRH and Coronavirus don't mix

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Dougmeister, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I don't know why this didn't dawn on me earlier... am I right?

Doing CRH while this infection is out there is a bad idea... correct?

I'm not getting into the political aspects of this... and staying away from my opinions of the media... but I will say (and I hope that this is okay) that I feel that the general state of panic is unwarranted. Do we need to be careful, cautious, etc.? Yes. Do we need a plan? Absolutely (and I think we have one). But I also perceive that things are getting blown way out of proportion.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Time to change your avatar! icon_smile_roflmao.gif

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 4.27.37 PM.png

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

On the one hand: every roll contains coins that have potentially been handled by dozens of different people, most of whom probably didn't wash their hands right before touching them.

On the other hand: the virus doesn't last that long on exposed surfaces.

On another hand: if the coins are in rolls, they aren't exactly exposed.

On another hand: if the coins are in rolls, they may have been there since before this virus started to spread...

In any event, I'm guessing the choice will soon be out of YOUR hands, because I'm already hearing about banks curtailing their in-person services, and business demand for change will be greatly decreased.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I always wash my hands before handling coins to prevent them from getting dirty and after I handle them because they made my hands dirty. Virus or not it's good practice for anything you do.

6. drewish

drewish New Member

CRH is a pretty dirty hobby to begin with. Before this pandemic, I would often go through rolls w/o gloves and just make sure to wash my hands thoroughly afterwards. Nowadays, I'm wearing gloves and sanitizing my desk afterwards.

As @jeffB has alluded to, it is going to be pretty difficult to get coins in general from banks as some are closing their lobbies and going to drive-through only service. A bank I went to the other day is staying open (for now) but the tellers are restricted to staying behind the glass wall. A number of other banks I go to do not have this wall so they may be forced to close inside service altogether.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I live in a rent-controlled apartment building for senior citizens, and most everyone here is concerned. I'm not overly concerned because I use a little common sense in my dealings with others, but I'm young (72) when compared to most of the others in the building. Many are in their 80's and early 90's. It won't take too much for any one of them to become infected because some people just don't think about what they are doing.

Yesterday, one of our residents was talking about the seriousness of the virus prior to our lunchtime service. She cleaned the tables with a disinfectant spray and then proceeded to lay out placemats and eating utensils without gloves or a mask. How dumb can you get! ~ Chris

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Draft saved Draft deleted