Just got this 1 onza

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Morgandude11, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Just picked up this 1 onza for a great auction price. It is actually accurately graded IMHO, and looks fantastic in hand. Population wise, there are less than 300 in any grade certified by PCGS, NGC and ANACS. This one has a population of 2. Even allowing for possible liberal overgrazing ( it looks 68 in hand), it is still very uncommon at 67 (less than 20). The golden toning is really nice, too :

84onza.jpg 84onzarev.jpg

sonlarson, ddddd, Mr Roots and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yorkazuna

Yorkazuna Junior Member

I've always loved the beauty and quality of Mexican coinage.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  4. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I really like these, and have a handful. They have toned a delightful golden color.
    I don't think any of mine are high grade, though.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  5. Morgandude11

I like how the autocorrect calls it "overgrazing." Did not catch that. Are the cows over grazing? lol

6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Would the "relative rarity" of these be do to few being submitted for grading? I have a whole book of them, and would never send them in.

7. Morgandude11

Not really. The mintages are lower in the first place compared to other silver coinage. It is about 1/20th of the US, and far less than any other country in terms of their silver. Proofs are even less common--in a typical year, there are 5000-10,000 proofs minted, versus 500,000 Silver Eagles. Yes, fewer are sent in, but not that many survive in high uncirculated condition.

8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Well, how do we know? Such a coin seems to me to be one of those who didn't get sent in at first, and are all residing in world coin collections like mine. Mine are all "high uncirculated condition", and I image there are lots of others like me out there. Just a couple of weeks ago a bullion seller at a local coin show had half a roll of fresh onzas on his table for sale from a tube put back in the 80's. Are those rarities?

Not trying to argue with you MD, just postulating the question how do we know these are "rare" if kind of by definition most never got sent for grading?

Morgandude11 likes this.
  9. Morgandude11

I think they are relatively rare, since the proportion of ones minted are a fraction of other country's silver. I have been told that many have been melted in Mexico for jewelry use, as they are .999 fine. Thus, a low survival rate exists in collectible condition. Of course, collectors like us do have high uncirculated specimens. But, they are not easily available, like US and European Silver.

Draft saved Draft deleted