Just got the elusive 1916 Barber Half....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, May 18, 2015.

1. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Any idea how long you might continue to produce the high grade coins? I've been holding off a bit since I learned about the cracked reverse die.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

If you look back a page or few, you will see I posted the front and back.

4. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Actually, I did produce 278 over-strike "1964-D" Franklin Half Dollars that were released. All of those were over-struck on genuine 1948-1963 Franklin Half Dollars.

There were also two "1964-D" Franklin Half Dollars that were over-struck on 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars. Those are the two that were not released.

5. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Man, wrong and late again. LOL Sorry about that.

6. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Thank you.
    I may do some gold coin over-strikes at some point. I have actually done one already. That was a fantasy "1861 Confederate Double Eagle" over-struck on Type-1 US Double Eagles of 1850-1865 vintage. I also produced those in a one-troy-oz 999 gold format (on virgin blanks), and in brass (edge marked as a 2011 brass strike).
    I only produced 23 of the over-strike version, and only 14 of the 1-troy-oz 999 gold version. The brass issue was considerably less expensive and 199 were made. They were minted in 2011 for the sesquicentennial of the original CSA coinage.
    http://www.dc-coin.com/search.aspx?find=Confederate

7. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

The original 1964-D Peace Dollars were actually struck and destroyed in May of 1965.
    Due to the shortage of coinage, the US Mint was producing 90% silver 1964-dated coins well into calendar year 1965. At the same time, 1965-dated copper-nickel clad coins (and 40% silver half dollars) were also being produced.

The prohibition on using mint marks was correlated to the year shown on the coin, not that actual calendar year in which it was struck.

The 1964 Philadelphia Peace Dollars were produced as die trials, some time prior to the Denver production.

8. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

No problem. Once in a while there is one on eBay (but none right now). The last one sold for $250.

9. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

My other die pair is almost ready. So the first (cracked) dies may only be used for another two weeks or less.

10. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

You are probably familiar with the phenomenon where one person tells a story and then the story is relayed several times, and when it gets back to the original person , the story is significantly different. I believe that is what happened here.

Former Denver Mint employees tell the same story about being able to buy one or two 1964-D Kennedy Half Dollars when they were first produced. I believe that fact has, over time, morphed into the story about Mint staff being able to by 1964-D Peace Dollars.

Not a single Denver Mint employee has ever come forward confirming that they had an actual opportunity to buy a 1964-D Peace Dollar from the Mint cashier.

11. I thought the same at first but glad I pulled the trigger. The die crack is actually quite cool and adds some character to the piece.

12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I agree, Daniel. I do not think that the 1964D has ever existed, except possibly a few trial pieces. It is my belief that the 64D was a experiment, with a handful of specimens. They were melted, and there are NONE of them that are lurking around. As you said, it is like the game of telephone--one person starts an urban legend, and then it gets exaggerated, endlessly. If people on this board are looking for a US MINT 1964D Silver Dollar to appear, it will be a long wait--much like Waiting for Godot. Thus, your production of a facsimile 64D is vindicated even more, as I believe it to be a non-existent date in US coinage.

If it existed, somebody would have blabbed, taken a sample, and would have shown it to friends and collectors. Somebody would have accepted the PCGS reward. Some big collector would have taken the chance, despite the illegality of possessing it at that time, and would have bought it. Sorry folks, but the only 64D Peace Dollars out there are either cheap Chinese fakes, or the high quality overstrikes and non-US Mint productions. Daniel Carr's is an example of the high quality reproduction, and since the coin never existed, there is no issue of genuineness. Besides, as was said endlessly, there is a huge disclaimer on his website that the coin is non-US, and as such, not legal tender or US MINT production.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    19Lyds likes this.
  13. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nicely done. As a sometime Web developer, I particularly appreciate the "404" in the certification number. ;)

15. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Mine came back MS69 1916 50c ANACS MS69.jpg 1916 ANACS Photo-horz.jpg

TopcatCoin likes this.
  17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Both of mine are listed as MS 69, but have not come back yet in hand, as I submitted a bunch of Daniel Carr tokens. Pictures when they arrive.

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I found out it's best to do your own photos. Theirs take to long and they are not as good as mine. They didn't even take a second or two to wipe the dust off the slab
    But they only charge $3.00
    The top one is my photo, so the color on the label isn't so good but look at the coin 1916-vert.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  19. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

Oh wow, gooood for you..."would that it were I." Nice job!!!:happy:

20. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

Beautiful coin, very nice capture...question Dan Carr produces and grades his own "coins"?

21. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

No, ANACS does. Not sure, but I bet ICG would too.

Draft saved Draft deleted