Just got the elusive 1916 Barber Half....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, May 18, 2015.

1. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

There is only one troll here. Feel free to look at him in the mirror

Rassi likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How would you know? You've already admitted that you're under-medicated.

Chris

4. aronsamma

aronsamma Active Member

It seems like you're getting nothing but hate here, but I want to say that I really appreciate your work, and I think you're creating really interesting pieces.

5. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Thanks.
    I wouldn't say that I get "nothing but hate" here. Many posts are in support of the work. A few are not. Other forums have been similar.

Morgandude11 and Paul M. like this.
  6. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

The voices tell me you are acting like a troll. The voices say you should be more like bb4c with your discussion. You can disagree in a more polite fashion. Just think about how far you must be off when even vegas Vic thinks you are rude.

19Lyds and Hommer like this.
  7. cpm9ball

Now, you're hearing voices! Polite? Look who is talking?!

Chris

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Enough - it stops now !

sgt23 and dwhiz like this.
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

about time

10. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

We live in reality unlike you who seems (I'm only assuming since I don't personally know you, based on what I've read you say here) to live his life based on assumption and what ifs. If the U.S. mint or government finds what he does is acceptable according to the law then there isn't much me, you or all the attorneys in the world can do about it. Well that's not completely true. You could spend a lot of your own money contacting your congressman, advertising your point of view to the public, maybe get a lawyer to represent you in court, in front of congress or the supreme court if it gets that far. So if he isn't breaking the law then he has nothing too worry about.

11. cpm9ball

That may be true, but it speaks a lot for his lack of concern for the numismatic community as a whole.

Chris

12. cpm9ball

I'm sorry, Doug. I responded to a quote before I saw your post.

Chris

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Many members of "the numismatic community" plainly disagree.

In fact, I'd say that someone who actively participates in the numismatic community, and has actually designed circulating coins, may well be a better representative of "the numismatic community as a whole" than most of us here. Again, only my opinion, of course; I certainly can't speak for the "community as a whole" myself.

14. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It seems that this is more than just an argument of fantasy or fake. This is about individuals trying to decide what is a legitimate numismatic item or not. None of us can do that. It is a wide field, people collect different things. Every item, be it a fake, a fantasy, NCLT or an old coin, presents a genuine numismatic interest to some part of the hobby. None of can categorically declare any such items as not having a purpose in the hobby. To do so is pure and blind egoism.

15. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Also I'm pretty sure Doug meant that the inflammatory insults stop now, not the discussion in general :)
    Otherwise this thread would already have been locked.

16. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

You grossly underestimate (ignore) the amount of encouragement that I receive from the "numismatic community". Some of the top numismatists alive today have acquired my over-struck specimens for their collections; people are constantly asking me when the next one will come out and what it will be; I was asked by the Society of Silver Dollar Collectors to write an article about my "1964-D" Peace dollar over-striking project, which I did, and that article received the "A. George Mallis Literary Award"; my "1964-D" and "1975" over-strike dollars are listed in the Krause "Unusual World Coins" catalog (6th edition, which is a few years old now); ANACS will certify anything that I produce. Those are a few examples.

You are free to dislike the fantasy-date over-struck coins. You are also free to dislike the people that collect them. Fortunately, however, every collector gets to make up their own mind as to what they desire to collect.

dwhiz, Paul M., Morgandude11 and 2 others like this.
  17. cpm9ball

I don't dislike the people who collect them, but I wonder how many of them would be collecting these non-coins if they had the word "COPY" struck on each one? Just because you found a loophole in the law doesn't make it right, and because you do it will just give others the idea that it's okay to "bend the law".

Chris

18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Well, I like them. I consider them highly collectible, and think they are beautifully done. The restrikes are skillful adaptations of long standing designs, as fantasy (not counterfeit, but fantasy issues) coins, as they never existed in reality. The other coinage that Daniel does is very tasteful, skillful engraving and minting. So what makes them not collectable? As I have said so often, I collect classic series of Silver. To me, collecting these fantasy coins are no different than collecting any other issue from any other time or country. Just as a matter of interest, a friend who has been a longtime collector with extremely deep pockets looked at these coins and offered me $500 for my MS 69 1965D Peace Dollar. I declined, as I have no desire to sell it, or any of the other fantasy coins.

dwhiz likes this.
  19. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Do you mint to order? Im still waiting on mine.:shy:

20. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I was kind of wondering about that, myself, @dcarr. I'm also curious how long the dies tend to last, given that they're probably struck with super high pressure. I mean, I know you'v there might be traces of the old design under the new one, but I've examined several of your Peace dollars under 5x and never seen anything there.

21. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Had the same question here. Hoping every day for a surprise in my mailbox...

Draft saved Draft deleted