Just got NGC Photovision images for the 1702 Wildman I submitted at the FUN show

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Feb 10, 2023.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

For those unfamiliar with the type, this is a 1702 “Wildman” 24-mariengroschen piece from the German state of Brunswick-Lüneberg-Calenberg-Hannover. The type is Numista-39913 and KM-15.

No grade announced yet, but the images are done and the coin has moved into quality control at NGC now. This one was submitted by itself as a one-coin invoice, since it was a rather late purchase on the show floor.

09144326-F80C-4C52-BE75-871A3C195A34.jpeg

342AE8AE-F16E-41AD-A640-C36506D3A8C9.jpeg

C63BF52F-A9F3-4D5E-8C97-A0B809DA2BA0.jpeg

Hope it straight grades. Karl Stephens said it was "lightly brushed" in the past, and gave it 50-50 odds for a straight grade at NGC (less at PCGS, as I recall). I decided to take a chance on it.

Even if it fails to straight grade, and gets a “details” grade with a problem notation, I think the eye appeal is such that I shouldn't have any trouble flipping it if that happens.

Here are the pics I took at the show.

348114F7-63D7-4302-9374-874478174D29.jpeg

7DABA603-99B4-4E6C-BD4E-2D6A6A23D022.jpeg

4D04A49A-253F-46BC-ACDA-116E224752A3.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Here’s a fun short video about these that a friend of mine (@Aethelred) created.

Yep, it seems the “Bigfoot” myth had its origins in medieval Europe, though on these coins, he’s more of a hairy, bearded giant- perhaps similar to Hagrid in the Harry Potter stories, only fiercer- than as the apelike cryptid searched for by enthusiasts in North America.

So essentially, the much older European Bigfoot is … the Wild Man.

4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I actually minted those, in a previous life, as a self-image.....and now, I'm almost there again, sort of a twofer one!!!! :p

panzerman and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

That looks like ......., Well its not me, but I can't say if I wish to stay here :) Jim :)

panzerman likes this.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Nice. Even if you get a details grade (unlikely) you won't have trouble moving it. It doesn't matter as much on world coins.

panzerman and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Regardless of what the slab reads, anybody should be happy to have this piece in their collection.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Very nice! I predict a straight grade ... but what do I know? :D

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

There are "Wildman" aka "Bigfoot/ Yeti" sightings all over the World/ in past and thru present day. Sir Edmund Hillary went on expeditions to locate the Yeti in Nepal. George I of Braunschweig-Lünenburg/ Hannover/ Great Britain kept a "wild boy" named Peter as a "pet".

Chris B and lordmarcovan like this.
  10. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Just ran across my pics of your coins little brother

upload_2023-4-24_23-16-17.jpeg

upload_2023-4-24_23-16-32.jpeg

Seattlite86, Chris B and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

I sold the coin, but am likely about to purchase a very similar one of the same date, which is straight-graded AU55:

[​IMG]

chlorinated and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted