Just got my first Worms coin!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Oct 31, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

AV Goldgulden 1619 Worms Mint
    Free Imperial City of Worms 4379435l.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice addition

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

Thanks Mat, I really love "Dragon" coins:happy:

John

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Nice coin.
    Worms, located on the west bank of the Rhine River, is one of Germany’s oldest cities. Besides the archaeological finds that go back more than 6,000 years, Worms was the scene of several events that shaped European history. It is the site of a medieval epic “the Nibelungelied’ , a story every German child learns at school about a legendary hero, Siegfried, and the Hun destruction of Worms. Legend says the name “Worms” referred to when Siegfried slew a lindworm (a type of serpent or dragon) near the city.

Aunduril and panzerman like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

panzerman likes this.
  7. panzerman

I think you would have to be as rich as the guy who owns "Amazon", to get most German coins. A quarter of the coins listed in Friedberg are from Germany. I am trying to get a gold coin from Rottweil (where my favorite dog, drew its name) I remember, we learned about the, "Diet of Worms" in highschool. Most of my classmates got the wrong meaning;) 230aff649db7baea193119e59339fb84.jpg

chrsmat71 and green18 like this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I was brought up 'Lutheran'.........still am.

And don't get your knickers out of wack because I claimed a religious affiliation people..........it's in the history books and I offer no conciliation.

panzerman likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

What a great looking coin, awesome dragon!

I have this early 20th century porcelain coin commemorating the Diet of Worms.

[​IMG]

10. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Very nice coin! Congrats!!

panzerman likes this.
  11. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but since you went from Worms to Luther, yesterday was Reformation Day, the anniversary of Luther's posting of his 95 Theses in Wittenberg, 501 years ago.

20180414_132950.jpg 20180414_133000.jpg

chrsmat71 and Theodosius like this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Right, that is a legend indeed. The city name goes back to Borbetomagus, a Latinized Celtic word. The place is older than the saga of the Nibelungs ...

This summer the Rhine river (which also flows through Worms) did not have that much water. People found all kinds of stuff, from mammoth bones to old ships that had sunk, but they still have not found the Nibelung Treasure. ;)

Christian

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted