Just got another ancients fan!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Oct 20, 2019.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I showed one of my lawn clients some of my recent auction wins. He was immediately hooked. He offered to make me his coin "advisor".
    His budget was 20K for initial first coins. It will be fun to help him out.

ominus1, galba68, Pellinore and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

20,000? Geez, you got yourself a wealthy client!

panzerman and spirityoda like this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Wow! Way to jump in! Haha! Now you have competition ;)

panzerman and TIF like this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

20K geez I feel so poor now.:(

panzerman likes this.
  6. panzerman

Yeah, he is a dentist....they make wads of $$$$$. The only time you pay to undergo torture;)

Pellinore and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

$20k Canadian won't buy all that many coins in the big-dog coin market which I assume will appeal most to people with multi-million dollar houses and who do grocery runs in their town-Tesla. The smartest purchase the dentist makes might just be p-man. Several people on this list probably spent $20k on coins last year and I know a collector with more $20k coins than I have $200 ones. There was a time a few centuries ago when gentlemen of substance had full time curators of their collections. Today, most high end collectors have relationships with dealer/agents who represent a number of collectors. The problem I see here is finding the appropriate advisor to fit our individual circumstance. Many of us now buy a share of the NCG staff one opinion at a time. Others enjoy doing it ourselves. I enjoy the process too much to send my 2020 coin budget to a pro and tell him to make me happy.

That is the great part of the hobby, IMHO. There are coins that are suitable for teens who cut their neighbors' lawn and others for dentists who pay p-man in gold. I wish I had the sense not even to look at high dollar coins or to admit defeat and send my $45 questionables to an expert who would charge $50 to tell me I was a fool. I hope we get to see what the dentist buys.

8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

John, I assume one factor that guided this client to choose you as a "coin adviser" for acquiring ancient coins was the quality of your lawn work, & that's not a bad criterion if you do superior work. Do you believe this client has a genuine interest in ancient coins & ancient history or are they just looking for a place to stash their cash o_O?

ominus1, Cucumbor and panzerman like this.
  9. panzerman

Thank you:happy:
    I truly beleive that he has caught the coin "bug", once infected you are toast....in a good way. Like me, he is German, and appreciates quality, loves history, enjoys life. He just had one pastime before...golf. I have never golfed/ but I love snowmobiling/ hunting/ hiking/ militaria. Like me, I know he will be into the hobby for the enjoyment, rather then to make a fast buck. I remember, I lost a FDC Faustina Sr. Aurei to someone, that coin went up for auction a couple months later, which meant the bidder was not a collector but a speculator....ruined my day. Sadly, their are many who like that.:(

10. panzerman

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Please PING collect89 when you post the dentist's coins. :)

12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Maybe the dentist just needs a friend to talk to !

:D Q

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted