Just for Fun - Washington "Follis"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Apr 24, 2021.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I was bored and thought it would be fun to imagine a Byzantine-style Follis for George Washington.

obv.PNG
    Obv: THEGEOWASHI-NGTONPOTVS. Suited bust facing.
    (The Honorable George Washington President Of The United States)
    Rev: Large M. ANNO-IIII Δ. WADC in exergue. Freemason square above, axe left, tree right.

The mason square represents Washington's Freemason membership. The axe and tree represent the traditional cherry tree story. The WADC mintmark represents Washington, DC mint.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

h.w.earl, You need to explore some outdoor activities & break away from coins for awhile :smuggrin:.

4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

hahah. I like it.
    I've been thinking of doing this type of fantasy coin design as well.

5. hotwheelsearl

I wish I knew how to graphic design, made this in MS WORD...

6. Evan Saltis

This is solid enough. Not like coins are colored or anything.
    If you really wanted you could make your own dies with this design and strike your own fantasy coin. It's something I've considered. Make a bunch and share with friends!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

What a neat idea. I feel like this would make a good "challenge coin." I'd imagine there are websites that will strike a die from a submitted image. Hmmm

Evan Saltis likes this.
  8. Evan Saltis

I was thinking more hammered coins, so that my 'ancient' coin with ME or something on it could be slid alongside LRBs and not stand out.

Imagine making enough that they end up in a reference book someday.. Lol!

+VGO.DVCKS and Orange Julius like this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

Good point. I just looked at some challenge coin sites, and they all seem to have that really extra-deep relief, which doesn't really work with coins all that well.
    I'll keep investigating...

+VGO.DVCKS and Evan Saltis like this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Very cool, @hotwheelsearl. It's fun that there are places that even do this! Like custom t-shirts. ...I used to make up what I'd call 'dangerous t-shirts to wear to a party.' Usually with potentially inflammatory politcal slogans. (...Nope, not going there.)

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Here's an actual denarius of Napoleon!
    napoleon denarius.jpg
    It's a tiny medallion (by Jeuffroy) celebrating his coronation as Emperor in 1804. They were given out to the people in front of Notre Dame during the actual coronation ceremony. (The "Den" stands for Vivant Denon, director of the mint.)

12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Cool idea. You obviously have some free time on your hands to ponder interesting historical parallels. Could have been something out of National Treasure with Nick Cage.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Interesting concept!

Here is a Masonic Chapter "Penny":

[​IMG]
    Masonic Penny, Innsmouth, Massachusetts

:)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    +VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  14. DiomedesofArgos

DiomedesofArgos Well-Known Member

Very cool :D. I've had similar ideas myself, though I haven't put anything to paper (or metal). The Intaglio mint made an "American Ancients" series done in the style of Ancient Greek coins. Here's their Washington:

DIAGONAL-TEMPLATE-AA-Washington.jpg

+VGO.DVCKS and hotwheelsearl like this.
  15. +VGO.DVCKS

@Severus Alexander, I Really, Really Need the Napoleon (...dramatic pause) denarius. I'm speechless, apart from guffaws and comparably monosyllabic words, of distinctly Old English (please read, more generally paleo-Germanic) origin.

16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I think they show up on Ebay occasionally, so keep a lookout. Frankly it's more quinarius-sized than denarius (13mm?), but... it's cooler to call it denarius. :)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  17. +VGO.DVCKS

Thanks for that, @Severus Alexander, but at the price, I'd rather have some of my t-shirts 'printed.' ...Or even, dare I say it, some worn-down Vespasian denarius, like the one I was privileged to find at a coin shop in Grand Central Station the one time I was there, at the age of 11, making it the summer of 1973. ...First and only 1st-c. CE denarius I ever owned. Memorable as such.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  18. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

This provincial portrait of Domitian always reminds me of the guy with wooden teeth...(ya ..not true - but his dental situation is still weird!)..

upload_2021-4-25_1-19-31.png

Snake on the prow of a ship? - the ancient version of:

upload_2021-4-25_1-22-22.png

Bing and Orfew like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted