Just cruisin Ebay

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by medoraman, Dec 8, 2013.

1. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I agree to some extent John......but if a coin is in an exceptional condition, then its always worth a premium. I have had my URBS Roma coins sell for $100, but they have been faultless and exceptional examples.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Yes, absolutely. The highest grades will always command premiums, and I myself have paid top dollar for coins that I consider best-of-type. I'm talking about mid-grade common coins.

The sellers that really leave me scratching my head are the ones that post auction after auction of worthless, corroded culls for a dollar or two. I can't believe they take the time to photograph each coin and make a separate listing for it. How can that possibly be cost effective?? Maybe they're retired and bored?

YOC likes this.
  4. John Anthony

Here's an URBS ROMA that cost me a good chunk of change, and I have zero regrets...

[​IMG]

stevex6 and vlaha like this.
  5. John Anthony

Here is a plate of LRB's, most of which I acquired on eBay for what I considered a very fair price, relative to the market. None of them were steals, but neither was I robbed. I'm not posting this by way of bragging - only to illustrate that with enough patience and wherewithal, and the boldness to do a bit of haggling, one can collect a nice set of coins in the cesspool which is eBay without breaking the bank...

[​IMG]

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

JA: I have the same coin from the same mint and workshop. I paid $21.50 including shipping. I think it's more a matter of being patient if one is going to shop Ebay. Urbs Roma 2.jpg

7. John Anthony

I overpaid for my VRBS - I bought it when I first started collecting. I've become more savvy since then, I hope! However, I like the coin so much, I still don't have any regrets.

8. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

dit in cres urbs.jpg
    I dont sell rubbish on ebay like some........

stevex6, vlaha and John Anthony like this.
  9. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

If people keep paying for junk people will keep posting junk. I am OK with it. Selling junker coins has bought me prettier coins.

John Anthony and YOC like this.
  10. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

If I sold 10 coins a day for a £2 profit on each coin, its £500 a month, after costs. Thats enough to make life comfortable for a retired person or enough to pay a small mortgage for someone out of employment. All the time they are being bought it proves the market is there and makes it worthwhile for someone.
    I personally get fed up with more than a weekend of selling a month......and I get bored with being 'tutted' at in the post office queue when posting 50 envelopes.

John Anthony likes this.
  11. Bing

I know what you mean, but it sounds downright sinful.

12. Whizb4ng

I hear the Brits are excellent 'tut'ers when it comes to voicing their displeasure. Next time cut into to the queue!

Sorry that was the best stereotype I could think up in short notice.

13. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

tedious more like.

14. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

stereotypes? you could always ride into the queue on your horse chewing tobacco and lassoo the cashier before dismounting and driving your 54 litre cadillac to the mall :)

vlaha likes this.
  15. Whizb4ng

I am Canadian ;)

We ride a moose thank you very much.

stevex6 and vlaha like this.
  16. Bing

Something wrong with chewing tobacco?

17. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

only when you are ooot and aboot with a bag full of loot WB ;)

18. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

only mouth cancer, but apart from that I'd encourage my kids to start young.:)

19. John Anthony

Well how else are you supposed to get the bird back to your flat?

20. Bing

Well, I take a chaw of plug tobacco a few times per year (no snuff). Plug tobacco when I can find it, loose leaf if not). I have friends who've never chewed nor smoked who have cancer of this or another body part. I've had friends who were vegetarians who have already died from some disease (my B-I-L for example..a doctor who never ate red meat. Massive heart attack at 46). I enjoy my few times of chewing and I'll be darn if I will live life afraid that I might contract this or some other disease. We're all gonna die from something.

My only stereotype of Brits are people who are prim and proper, who eat good fish and chips or bangors and mash whilst consuming ale.

Pocket change 50 likes this.
  21. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Thats us! cor blimey guvnor...chim chimanee chim chimanee....Loves me Bangers and mash I do.
    ps. Bangor is a town in Wales.:p

Draft saved Draft deleted