Just completed my Flavian denarii set

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mr.MonkeySwag96, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased this common seated Pax denarius of Vespasian to complete my Flavian type set and the latest addition to my 12 Caesars set:

[​IMG]

Vespasian Denarius. 75 AD. IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right / PON MAX TR P COS VI, Pax seated left holding branch. RSC 366, RIC 772, BMC 161

The first Flavian denarius I’ve ever purchased was a Titus denarius with a rostral column reverse that’s a throwback to an earlier denarius issued by Augustus:

[​IMG]

AR Denarius 19mm. 3.40g. Rome Mint 79 A.D. Laureate head, r. IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M Radiate figure standing on rostral column decorated with ships' rams. TR P VIIII IMP XV COS VII P P RIC II 16a; RSC II 289

Ex. Civitas Galleries

Instead of the common Minerva type denarius issued by Domitian as Augustus, I opted to purchase a Domitian denarius that was issued during his tenure as Caesar commemorating the triumphal parade held by Vespasian shortly after the Judea Capta. It was believed that Domitian rode a beautiful white horse during this parade:

[​IMG]

DOMITIAN, as Caesar under Vespasian, AR silver denarius. Rome, 73 AD. CAES AVG F DOMIT COS II, laureate head right. Reverse - Domitian, togate, riding on horse prancing left, holding sceptre in left hand and raising right. Cohen 664, BMC Vespasian 129, RIC Vespasian 608. Very scarce. 19mm, 3.3g.

Ex. Incitatus Coins

Feel free to share your coins of the Flavian emperors!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Excellent! Congratulations! I like the Titus denarius, it reminds me, for obvious reasons, of Trajan's coins with the Column.

Here is my favorite Flavian denarius - a Titus as Caesar that made me switch completely to ancients.
    upload_2022-2-26_10-9-39.png

T CAESAR VESPASIANVS, Head of Titus, laureate, right / IMP XIII, Sow left, with three piglets
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Vespasian 986

I also wanted a set of Flavians in bronze.
    upload_2022-2-26_10-11-57.png

Vespasian AD 69-79. Rome. As Æ. 23 mm, 11,02 g
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Vespasian 287
    Date: AD 71
    Obv: IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG COS III, Head of Vespasian, laureate, right / Rev: AEQVITAS AVGVSTI S C, Aequitas, draped. standing left, holding scales in right hand and long vertical rod in left

upload_2022-2-26_10-11-21.png

Titus AD 79-81. Sestertius Æ. 33 mm 24g
    Obverse IMP T CAES VESP AVG P M TR P P P COS VIII. Head of Titus, laureate, right; Reverse FELICIT PVBLIC S C. Felicitas standing left, holding sceptre and cornucopiae
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 143. Old RIC II Titus 89

I was extremely happy to get this coin at a low price - it had maximum eye appeal for me and even if it's not a top condition coin
    upload_2022-2-26_10-18-9.png
    Domitian AD 81-96. Rome. As Æ. 27 mm 10.73g.
    IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XV CENS PER P P, bust of Domitian, laureate, right / FORTVNAE AVGVSTI S C, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder and cornucopiae
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 707; Old RIC 394

Bonus - 2 extra family members (last - a provincial coin but still a good addition)
    upload_2022-2-26_10-21-27.png

Julia Titi AD 80-81. Rome. Dupondius Æ. 28 mm, 11,55 g
    Obv: IVLIA IMP T AVG F AVGVSTA, Bust of Julia Titi, draped, right; hair bundled high in front and wrapped in bun (sometimes small bun) in back / Rev: CERES AVGVST S C, Ceres standing left, holding corn-ears and torch
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 392

upload_2022-2-26_10-22-58.png
    Ionia. Magnesia ad Sipylum. Domitia AD 82-96. Bronze Æ. 15 mm, 2,86 g
    ΔΟΜΙΤΙΑ ϹƐΒΑϹΤΗ, draped bust of Domitia, right / ΜΑΓΝΗ ϹΙΠΥ, river god reclining l., holding branch of plant and cornucopia over inverted pot from which flows water
    RPC II, 986; BMC 56; Cop 259

4. Mr.MonkeySwag96

I need to get myself a Julia Titi or Domitia but those ladies are pretty expensive as Imperial issues. Maybe a Provincial would do. Your Titus sestertius has a nice portrait

5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

6. Mr.MonkeySwag96

I knew you wouldn’t disappoint since you’re a Flavian fanatic after all. I guess two of my coins fit your criteria of Pax and a column on your most recent post

David Atherton likes this.
  7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Perfect!

Mr.MonkeySwag96 likes this.
  8. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

Always nice to finish a dynasty, here the the flavian emperors (without any female yet :( )
    Emperor Vespasian - As - Rome mint
    (Obv.) IMP CAESAR VESP AVG PM TP COS V CENS
    (Rev.) VICTORIA AVGVST
    Vespasian Victoria.png
    Emperor Titus - As - Lugdunum mint
    (Obv.) T CAES IMP AVG F TRP COS VI CENSOR
    (Rev.) (Spes)
    Titus Spes.png
    Emperor Domitian - Denarius - Rome mint
    (Obv.) IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM PM TRP VII
    (Rev.) IMP XIIII COS XIIII CENS P PP (Minerva)

Domitian Minerva.png

Alegandron, PeteB, Orielensis and 8 others like this.
  9. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

10. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Mr.MonkeySwag96...Very nice set, lovely portraits on all three!
    @Andres2...Wonderful portrait on the Domitian, great hair!
    Domitian. 81-96 AR Denarius (3.17 gm, 18mm). Rome mint. Struck 81 AD.
    Obv.: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M, laureate head right.
    Rev.: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P, tripod surmounted by a dolphin right. RICII# 74.
    These early type portraits are my favourite and coupled with an interesting reverse, the tripod and dolphin, being symbols of Apollo.

Phrygia, Eumeneia (near Civril, Turkey). Domitia, 81-96 AD. Bronze AE 15mm (2.47 gm).
    Obv.: ΔOMITIA CEBACTH, Draped bust right. Hair rolled in front and in que behind,
    Rev.: ΚΛ• ΤEΡEΝΤΥΛΛΑ ΑΡΧΙE /EΥΜE-ΝE-ΩΝ, Kybele enthroned to left, Patera in extended right hand, resting left forearm and hand on Tympanum (drum) at near side
    RPC II 1388. Rare. gVF.
    domitian and domitia.jpg

Alegandron, PeteB, Orielensis and 6 others like this.
  11. Mr.MonkeySwag96

12. ambr0zie

Thanks. That was the first Sestertius I have ever seen and remains my favorite. Especially since it was obscenely cheap - it was in my first lot of ancient coins I have seen - 100 EUR + taxes / 35 coins. Not all coins were that interesting, but the lot was very diverse, I identified all the coins myself, as an almost absolute beginner and this hobby started.

I am not sure if the Julia Titi dupondius was a good deal for me - but the portrait is good and she's a tough one to find.
    My Domitia, although not in the best condition, was a steal and I was a little shocked for getting it for 10 EUR - was expecting ~30.

Here are some other interesting (in my opinion) Flavian denarii. Budget purchases but I like the reverses that are not commonly encountered.

upload_2022-2-26_13-17-18.png

Vespasian (69-79) AR Denarius, Rome, 77-78
    IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG - Laureate head right
    Rev: Pair of oxen under yoke left, In exergue, COS VIII.
    C 133. BMC 206. RIC 943. CBN 184
    2,67 g, 18 mm

upload_2022-2-26_13-22-27.png

Domitian, 95-96 AD. 18 mm 2.62 g
    IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P XV, head of Domitian, laureate, right / IMP XXII COS XVII CENS P P P, Minerva Victrix, winged, flying l., holding javelin and round
    shield.
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 791; Old RIC 194; C. 294; BMC 237; CBN 210

13. Mr.MonkeySwag96

I love the early Domitian issues because of the variety of reverse types before Minerva dominated his later issues. I dig the toning on the tripod coin.

Spaniard likes this.
  14. Mr.MonkeySwag96

The winged Minerva Victrix looks a lot cooler than the typical Minerva reverse types. Minerva Victrix reminds me of a winged Valkyrie from Norse mythology

ambr0zie likes this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here are denarii of the three Flavian emperors.

Vespasian:

Vespasian SALVS AVG denarius.jpg

Titus:

Titus COS V Eagle denarius.jpg

Domitian:

Domitian Minerva denarius.jpg

Alegandron, PeteB, Orielensis and 6 others like this.
  16. ambr0zie

A coin I like a lot - also because it belonged to @Ryro (waiting for some Flavian shields to be posted by him)
    upload_2022-2-26_14-9-53.png

Titus, as Caesar AD 76-78. Rome. Denarius AR. 18 mm, 3,28 g
    AD 76
    T CAESAR IMP VESPASIAN, head of Titus, laureate, right / COS V, Eagle with wings spread, standing front on cippus, head left
    RSC 59a; RIC 191a; RIC2 861; ex Ryro

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Congrats, @Mr.MonkeySwag96 !

Love the look of that one. The toning, and that equestrian reverse, though Domitian's scale in relation to the horse makes it look more like a pony!

Here, I'll trot out my Flavian favorite for the umpteenth time. Stop me if you're sick of it by now. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Nice set! Your Titus denarius is excellent and has an unusually interesting reverse. The Domitian is exceptional because of the anepigraphic reverse, though the portrait on it differs strongly from the distinctive portrait style seen on later coins of Domitian as Augustus.

Here are some of my Flavians:
    Rom – Vespasian, denarius, Annona.png
    Vespasian, Roman Empire, denarius, 77/78 AD, Rome mint. Obv: CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head of Vespasian right. Rev; ANNONA AVG, Annona seated left, holding corn ears. 19mm, 3.33g. Ref: RIC II Vespasian 964.

Rom – Titus, denarius, Jupiter.png
    Titus (under Vespasian), Roman Empire, denarius, 76 AD, Rome mint. Obv: T CAESAR IMP VESPASIAN, laureate head right. Rev: IOVIS CVSTOS, Jupiter standing left, holding patera and sceptre; altar at left. 19mm, 3.2g. Ref: RIC II Vespasian 863.

Rom – Domitian, denarius, Minerva (neu estes Foto).png
    Domitian, Roman Empire, AR denarius, 88/89 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM PM TR P VIII, laureate head of Domitian right. Rev: IMP XIX COS XIIII CENS PP, Minerva standing left holding thunderbolt and spear, leaning on shield. 19mm, 3.22g. Ref: RIC II (2007) Domitian 669.

19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I will be giving a presentation about these guys at my local club next month. It's the last of my "12 Caesars" series.

If you live in the Tampa, Florida area, you are invited to attend. PM me for information.

Vespasian

Vespasian All.jpg

Titus

Titus All.jpg

Domitian

Domitian All.jpg

20. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

Pretty cool.

Does the OP mean one of each Flavian denarii types or one of each emperor?

I have at least one each of all of the 12 Caesars, but I'll never complete one of each Western emperor to 476, even discounting the ones who have only one or two coins known. The fifth century ones are just too difficult to get.

Draft saved Draft deleted