Just completed a post-Colonial state copper set. Please post yours as well!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by KSorbo, Feb 11, 2019.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Although I tend to be very ADHD in my collecting habits, tonight I just completed what I would consider to be my first full set. After receiving the Vermont in the mail today, I now have examples from all 5 states (Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) that issued coppers during the post-Colonial period, plus a Fugio to tie them all together. (On a side note, Vermont did not become a state until 1791, and the Nova Eboracs were not actually authorized by New York. But the set still makes sense.)

Even though there are only 6 coins in my set, putting it together took a lot of patience. Despite having a low budget, I limited my purchases to certified problem free examples that have major details visible and at least some degree of eye appeal. As a result, for roughly the same amount of money I could have spent on a common date Saint Gaudens or a mint state 1909 S-VDB, I now have a set containing one R5 variety (the Connecticut) and two R3's (the Vermont and Nova Eborac).

I definitely want to expand my set, and with Colonials there are a lot of options. A Virginia Halfpenny is high on my list even though it is from a different time period. Private issues like the Nova Constellatio's are interesting, and I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Vermont landscape copper if I had the money.

Please post your Colonials!

Collection.jpg Connecticut Obverse.jpg Connecticut Reverse.jpg Massachusetts Obverse (2).jpg Massachusetts Reverse.jpg New Jersey Obverse.jpg New Jersey Reverse.jpg Nova Eborac Obverse.jpeg Nova Eborac Reverse.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Congratulations! Very impressive set.

KSorbo likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Cool set.

KSorbo likes this.
  6. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Very impressive

KSorbo likes this.
  7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

That’s a very well matched set! Thank you for sharing with us.

KSorbo likes this.
  8. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Nice, and much more interesting than a 1909 s vdb or St. Gaudens!

KSorbo likes this.
  9. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Very nice set

KSorbo likes this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have this one.
    Image_0666.jpg Image_0669.jpg

11. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I would love to do something similar to this!

KSorbo likes this.
  12. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

All of my coins were purchased on EBay or Heritage within about a 3 year timeframe, with all but one in a pure auction format. Just keep your eyes out and you may be surprised at what you can find.

Milesofwho likes this.
  13. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I obviously love the old Nova Caesarea (NJ) coin :rolleyes:

KSorbo likes this.
  14. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I like your avatar coin even better :)

juris klavins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted