Just bought this...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Dec 27, 2016.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Paid $365. What do you think PCGS or NGC will call it? AU58 or MS62? Lol. Hopefully it won't come back Details...
    20161227_180021.jpg 20161227_175933.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Well, given enough time and ...

By today's standards those old PCI holders are now 'fairly' graded.

But EAC grading is somewhat of a dark art. There is no number from PCGS or NGC that I'd take on a bet.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

There's just no way this is a XF...

dwhiz and Paul M. like this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's the generation of PCI slab to look for. XF40 looks pretty stingy for this one (EAC aside).

dwhiz, C-B-D and Paul M. like this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Not in my wheelhouse. But only a 40? Hmmmm....

C-B-D likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I know the pics aren't good. But it looks like it has the luster of an UNC.

8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I think youre right that it is better than EF but I just have a hard time imagining old copper in anything but a details slab. Just seems like even witht he tiniest nicks they come back as damaged. I wouldnt be surprised if it came back as cleaned or re-colored, or quest. color.

dwhiz, Paddy54 and C-B-D like this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

This is under graded. Nice coin. Au 50.

C-B-D likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

Let's go with AU 58 ....whatever grade it ends up being, it looks like a nice coin!

Cascade, dwhiz and C-B-D like this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Well, part of the appeal of that 10-digit PCI slab is the accuracy of the grading (by the conservative standards of the day). My default judgement in view of images that aren't 100% is, there's things I'm not seeing here but I'd likely see it a bit higher-grade in person.

At that money, you're going to need another set of FE's to beat the deal. :)

NSP, dwhiz, green18 and 1 other person like this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That was 'classic'.........No one does their homework better than C-B-D.

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I've been trolling eBay for another deal like that. Maybe this one will come fairly close, but there's no way I'll match that one this time, even if it comes back MS62.

14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Pretty coin plenty of eye appeal , not my series , however I can see this in hand being a better grade . From the images the surface as well as color has me guessing if it wouldn't be graded details.
    That said to me the coin is worth every dollar spent. And personality if I'm going to buy a problem /details coin....I want it to look like than one.
    nice find!

C-B-D likes this.
  15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the tinge to the color might be just some funny lighting.

C-B-D likes this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Thing is, the TPG's seem to sometimes give you a 'get out of jail' card for older issues. I'm thinkin' low AU, but what do I know? I'm not a follower of the series. Just an interested observer, and based on the photos.......I calls dem as I sees dem. :)

Paul M. and C-B-D like this.
  17. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

All I can add is I would have given it a shot with those photos.

Paul M. and C-B-D like this.
  18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I will add this....personally I wouldn't do a thing to it....I leave it as is. In the PCI holder with the as signed grade.
    And if I were not going to keep it.....I would market it for what the in hand condition is, as well as a older PCI slab.
    The reason being is... anyone whom would be a buyer couldn't dismiss the condition no matter who's initials on the plastic.
    Again you buy the coin not the plastic.

ddddd, easj3699, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I have to agree, that's a honey! And it's under-graded. I wonder, will CAC sticker it in that holder, or are they that unsure of themselves they need a major TPG going to bat for the coin first? I'll bet they have some crackpot reason they won't do it. I think they should do it, if their judgment is all they say it is. Can you imagine a gold bean on it when you send it off to NGC or PCGS? But I'm sure I answered my question, they'll play it safe, give us some cornball reason for it.

C-B-D likes this.
  20. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

very nice and yes look better than EF40

C-B-D likes this.
  21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

CAC only does PCGS and NGC.

Draft saved Draft deleted