Just bought a dream coin: A 1955 DDO Lincoln. No big deal.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Jan 27, 2020.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

So, I had a bit of fun with the folks over in the error forum, but I thought I should share this one with the larger crowd. I've been actively collecting for 25 years now. I distinctly remember 10 year old me getting his first Red Book, poring over the entries and dreaming of owning certain coins. We went to the Library every week, and I always took time to sit in the periodicals section and read the library's copy of CoinWorld (I read it for the articles! I swear! It wasn't just for the pictures!).

Anyways, this particular coin has always been one of my dream coins. You probably have a similar list: 1909S VDB, 1877 Indian, 1916D Merc.... and this one. I've decided that 2020 will be "The Year I buy all the coins that would make 10 year old me scream". I saw this one on Ebay recently. I liked the color. So I bought it.

Post yours, or tell me about a coin that would make newbie-collector-you scream.

NGC MS-63 BN:

IMG_0146.JPG IMG_0157.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Regarding the list?....Yes, same here.

Can I ask where/how you purchased it?

Beautiful coin!! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

BTW: That coin is a big deal!!

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ten-year-old me would've said "aww, couldn't you at least get one that hasn't turned brown? How are you going to get it out of that case to use the eraser on it?"

In the end, though, ten-year-old me decided that fifty-odd-year-old me probably knew more about coins. It just took forty-odd years for him to come around. :rolleyes:

Randy Abercrombie and JCKTJK like this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Ebay, believe it or not. I bought it about 2 weeks ago, but the seller shipped it Registered so it just arrived today.

I paid a slightly strong of a price for it based on recent sales, but I was willing based on the eye appeal I think I did well.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  6. Islander80-83

OUTSTANDING! Congratulation! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

spirityoda likes this.
  7. Islander80-83

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ten year old me wasn't into coins much at that time yet.....yeah, I can remember the 'old man' jumping up and down about the fact that he got three 1960 'small date Lincolns in three of the proof sets that he had ordered but it didn't mean much to me. My Epiphany resulted when I got my first Red Book at the age of thirteen and I discovered commemorative coins. The prices for them (suggested by the Red Book) were so unaffordable for a lad of thirteen. Lust of the time......

ldhair likes this.
  9. robec

robec Junior Member

Great eye appeal on your new 55 DDO. Normally they are just so so looking. Great job finding just the right one.

ldhair and green18 like this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You did great. Pretty coin. Good things come to those that wait.

11. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Great score! I consider this coin to be the most sought after error coin. Enjoy it

12. Tuco

Tuco Active Member

Beautiful coin, agree on the color it's fantastic! Congrats!

13. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Wow!! It’s a freakin 55DDO. When I was ten I did have two cent to rub together!!

I’m guessing. 1,700-1,900$?? Or was it more?

spirityoda likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You did great as that's a fantastic looking coin. What a wonderful addition to your collection!

15. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

That's a great coin - its like my eyes are stuttering :) - Especially on the IGWT
    When I saw the auction it looked like you paid a strong price but it looks like you did ok - Past few did around the same money BUT YERS my friend is much better looking - Nice grab

Despair and green18 like this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well put......:)

17. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That’s a very big deal! I hope you enjoy it!

18. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your purchase. 10y/o me sat around with a friend polishing the rare Indian Head cents we found. We had about 10 of them. Hopped on the subway and went to Stacks. They wouldn't even look at them. lol

19. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ambitious though!!

20. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

I'd love to own it!

:happy:

21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

2017 was the year I bought this, it was the last major coin for my Lincoln 1955 DDO AU53 PCGS 1-horz.jpg collection

Draft saved Draft deleted