Just another sandy Claudius II

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Feb 27, 2015.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There must have been a hoard of this period recently. I've been seeing Gallienus and Claudius a lot. This Juno has the optional peacock and letter B in exergue neither of which keep RIC from calling it #212 page 229. It is a moderately nice coin and the first sand patina I have shot with my revised set up. It looks like the coin. rx2159led3230.jpg

vlaha, randygeki, Pishpash and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

My 212 is a left facing head rather than the draped and cuirassed bust right.
    I have come to mistrust sandy patina after the patina fell off a few such coins that I bought and a bit of investigation proved it to have been glued on with a water based glue. Ho hum.

[​IMG]

vlaha, randygeki, Pishpash and 6 others like this.
  4. maridvnvm

5. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

nice patina Doug.

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Here's mine, bought some time last year, sans sand.

image.jpg

And thanks for the link, Martin!

vlaha, stevex6, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  7. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Very nice coin of a very good Emperor!
    All coins shown so far have put my measly little Antoninianus of his to shame:sorry:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I wonder too. Afraid of taking my nail to it and scraping.

10. maridvnvm

Doug,
    I am not aware of any easy method of telling genuine from false without risking a genuine coin. I know that I was burned with a few a couple of years ago from a dealer who used to apply this to virtually all his lower end bronze and to "enhance" surfaces of other coins. I accidentally got one of them wet and the sand parted company with the coin. I then saw some of the before and after pictures of some of his repatinated coin and discovered that all the bronzes I had bought from him were similarly treated. It has left a sour taste and a general mistrust of desert patina ever since.
    Martin

TIF likes this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice find Doug.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My similar experience turned me off of vCoins rather than the patinas. They had and still have a few dealers 'soft' on repatination. I do not pay extra for sandy but certainly must have a few bad ones.

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Interesting and will make me look twice before I buy any sand patina coins.

14. maridvnvm

The practice can be difficult to spot and is quite well executed. It came to light after some people spotted coins being sold by a major dealer and then appearing shortly afterwards for sale with a desert patina that hides much of the surface issues of the original coin. The new seller didn't make any mention of the repatination.

Here is an example of the before and after.

SandExamplesml.jpg
    Martin

stevex6 and Collect89 like this.
  15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks for posting the example.

16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I have a coin which arrived recently and is clearly covered in fake dirt. It scratches off easily with a fingernail. I payed a pittance for it, so no matter, but I am going to soak and clean it, to see what's underneath - whether the "sand" is covering up some tooling. Why anyone would go to such trouble over such a common coin is beyond me. Perhaps practicing for something more valuable?

fh.jpg

TIF likes this.
  17. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Did you smell it? (Let's not forget Tif's experience with makeup a few months ago...)

18. John Anthony

Well, since you asked, I had to go smell it. My wife gave me a very strange look. But I didn't smell anything at all...

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Phew => luckily it wasn't one of those goat-fed coins that Doug sometimes talks about!!

vlaha, TIF and John Anthony like this.
  20. John Anthony

Lol!

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

One thing I look for (right or wrong) is demonstrated by the Alexander or Carthage Martin showed. I ask myself what the coin would look like if the sand were gone but no damage was done to the metal in removing it. The Alexander is obviously a rough coin pitted before the sand was applied. Adding the sand filled in general rough surfaces and a few larger pits like the one near the bottom of the reverse figure. Adding the smoother sand made the coin look better and increased its eye appeal several hundred dollars worth. My OP coin did not benefit from what I can see but that does not make me in any way certain that the sand is original. I suspect that clean it would look a lot like zumbly's coin. Some will prefer my coin because they like sand but others would just as well have a smooth, brown surface. The cash difference would be minimal unless the sand were hiding a fake making it look 'old'. I believe all the coins on this page are real so it is just the dirt we are discussing.

John's coin is more of a mystery but it does have some roughness so probably looks better now than it will when cleaned. Losing the dirt in the face pits might even make it look better. I see no way that tooling would change the value of the coin since it is not just a letter away from anything more or less valuable than what we see. I suspect we fail to appreciate how it benefits anyone to turn a $4 coin into a $5 coin but a dollar is a lot of money for a little dirt so a thousand such coins would make a good paycheck for someone.

I yield to vlaha and steve as more expert in the odors of makeup and goats. I have minimal experience with goats and none with makeup.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted