Just another overstrike of...wait, what?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by KIWITI, Jul 13, 2018.

1. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

A friend of mine recently bought this coin and asked me how could this have happened.
    It´s a common Valentinian I, partly overstriked. Not by the same obverse die as one could expect, but one of Valens.

I really have no clue, since they appear to be both official obverse coin dies.

Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you make out of it.

PHOTO-2018-07-13-09-24-14 (5).jpg PHOTO-2018-07-13-09-24-14.jpg PHOTO-2018-07-13-09-24-13 (1).jpg
    Nothing relevant to the reverse, just the blow from the overstrike.

Thanks in advance!

Marsyas Mike, galba68, Ryro and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

wow!..i don't think it's the same die overstrike.. very kool!!

KIWITI likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Neat addition. I like stuff like that but own none.

KIWITI likes this.
  5. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I don't know how true this is BUT I was told many years ago that periodically older coins were removed from circulation and examined for weight and purity. If they were within limits they were then lightly over struck with the current dies and if they were too worn to pass they were melted down for reuse. Since I have seen many examples of heavily worn ancient coins this must not have been a universal practice.
    That factoid is worth at least what you just paid for it.

KIWITI and BenSi like this.
  6. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Interesting. One coin, two different anvil dies. I too suspect as you have suggested that the break pattern on the secondary obverse strike, "P F AVG" is counterbalanced by VALENS. Given the complete absence of detail on the reverse secondary strike, I suspect the hammer die was merely a hammer without an image (possibly to burnish out the existing earlier image?). Unfortunately the coin (probably heated to some extent) was placed face down in a Valens anvil die but was not positioned properly for a restrike, and when the hammer came down all Hades broke loose.

Just a thought.

KIWITI likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

pretty neat

KIWITI likes this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

With the lack of quality control I think the Celetor, and or his aid, was having fun.:wacky:
    Here is one of my favs of these.
    Though, I believe, it is the same die it was struck 3 times at East, South and West...like most coins much cooler in person.
    CollageMaker Plus_20184520113638.png

Draft saved Draft deleted