Just another nice Parthian drachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Time for another of my recent additions:
    Phraates III court Rhagae.jpg
    Parthian Kingdom. AR drachm. Phraates III (c.70-57 BC). Court at Rhagae mint. Obverse: Diademed bust left with long beard. Reverse: Seated archer right, mintmark below bow, six-line Greek legend "Basileos Megalou/Arsakou/ Euergetou/ Epiphanous/ Philellenos" (Of the Great King Arsakes, Beneficent, Illustrious, Loving the Greeks). Traces of double-striking on both sides. Sellwood 38.4, Shore 170. This coin: Frank S. Robinson Auction 108, Lot 102.

Phraates III seems to have been the son of the Parthian king Sinatruces (c. 77-70 BC), and a surviving inscription claims he was the great-grandson of Phriapatios, the third Parthian king. During the early part of Phraates' reign, there was an active usurper (called Arsakes XVI by modern scholars) who may have been active for several years before finally being killed. Phraates also had contact with the Roman general (later triumvir) Pompey the Great. In 66 BC, Pompey received Phraates' assurance of Parthian neutrality in the ongoing disputes between Rome and Tigranes I of Armenia. However, soon afterwards Phraates supported a rebellious son of Tigranes I, called Tigranes the Younger, in an unsuccessful revolt against his father. Phraates was able to capture Gorduene (an area in northern Mesopotamia) from Tigranes I, but Pompey was not pleased, sending a very haughty letter to Phraates (addressing him simply as "King" rather than "King of Kings") and dispatching troops who forced the Parthian king to withdraw from Gorduene, restoring it to Tigranes. Almost nothing is known of the later part of Phraates' reign, as (per usual) Roman historians didn't write much about events that didn't involve Rome. In either 58 or 57 BC Phraates was murdered by his two sons, Mithradates III (or IV, by modern count) and Orodes II.

This obverse type (Sellwood 38) is one of my favorite portraits in the whole Parthian series, so I never tire of adding a new example even if it differs only by a mintmark or a slight change in legend (one variety adds Kai (And) in front of Philellenos). Please share your coins of Phraates III (he had 4 distinct portrait types), or else coins where you happily collect multiple varieties with only tiny differences.

Sulla80, Finn235, Pavlos and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That is a sweet portrait @Parthicus ! Cool new Parthian!!

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great portrait on it.

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post and congrats on the new addition! A portrait style that I am still watching for. Here's my Phraates III .
    Phraates III drachm.jpg
    Phraates III (70-57 B.C.) AR Drachm
    Mint: Mithradatkart
    Obv: long-bearded bust left wearing tiara decorated on side with horn and stags with antlers around crest; circular border of pellets
    Rev: beardless archer wearing bashlyk and cloak seated right on throne, holding bow in right hand; below bow, monogram; no border; ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ ΑΡΣΑΚΟΥ ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ ΕΙΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ
    Size: 3.96g 19.4mm
    Ref: Sellwood 39.6

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have not kept up with all the recent attribution changes. When I got this it was Phraates III and genuine. The seller is long gone and I doubt the coin for obvious reasons.
    op0120bb1749.jpg

When I got this ae17, it was Darius according to Sellwood but was later Phraates III in Shore. I believe it is at least genuine but I do not know the most current attribution. 'Sunrise' chose to go light on AE unless they moved it somewhere I have not yet found.
    op0130bb0864.jpg

Sulla80, Parthicus and Johndakerftw like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

8. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great coin! I love the portrait, they are so different compared to the potraits on Greek and Roman coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted