(Just added a second 10) My Top 10 Roman Imperial & Greek Coins for 2021 (first of 3 lists)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Nov 27, 2021.

?

Vote for Your Favorites

1. # 1: Aspendos stater

37 vote(s)
    57.8%
  2. # 2: Titus denarius with elephant

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. # 3: Nerva denarius with clasped hands

19 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. # 4: Trajan denarius with Arabia & camel

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. # 5 Antoninus Pius denarius with Marcus Aurelius Caesar

14 vote(s)
    21.9%
  6. # 6: Antoninus Pius dupondius with Pietas (Faustina II) & 3 children

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. # 7: Faustina II sestertius with 6 children

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  8. # 8: Diocletian argenteus with 4 tetrarchs before campgate

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  9. # 9: Arcadius solidus with Constantinopolis

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. # 10: Honorius solidus with Honorius standing over captive

22 vote(s)
    34.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Beautiful selection Donna. My favourite by far was the Aspendos stater. Tried (unsuccessfully) to add one of those to my collection this year:(/

Also 5 and 9. Looking forward to the other 2 lists.

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Looks like you had a wonderful year! They are all beautiful. I found #1 and #10 to be especially amazing! All the best for next year.

DonnaML likes this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks, and the same to you!

octavius likes this.
  5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The Aspendos stater was #1 for me, just for sheer jaw-dropping beauty.

Btw, there's a provincial drachm version of those Arabia denarii, struck in Bostra with Greek legends. It would make a great companion piece. CNG 118, 876...

4-3959PS.jpg

6. DonnaML

As I posted above, I think I was fortunate to buy the Aspendos stater from HJB for the "buy" price, within a couple of hours of when the sale opened. I have no idea what a coin in that condition (which you can see much more accurately in the video than in HJB's still photo) would go for in a traditional auction, but I think there's a decent chance that it would sell for more than HJB's $600 buy price.

octavius likes this.
  7. DonnaML

Thanks, John. The provincial version is discussed extensively in the 2015 Woytek & Butcher article I cited in my description (see https://www.jstor.org/stable/43859784). The authors believe that Trajan's camel drachms -- both this type and the type with only a camel on the reverse* -- were actually struck in Rome rather than in Arabia Bostra.

*My example: Trajan - Drachm, Arabia Bostra, Camel reverse - jpg version.jpg

8. DonnaML

Good luck finding an Aspendos stater next year. It seems that they're quite popular. The positive aspect is that they certainly aren't rare, even in nice condition.

9. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Wonderful selection @DonnaML......
    Apart from the 'Asplendid' 'Aspendos'.....Really like the Titus with elephant reverse and of course that lovely double portrait of A.P and M.A.....
    Looking forward to seeing your other lists.....Paul

DonnaML likes this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's possible, but there are examples that were struck over the drachms of the last Nabataean king Rabbell II - I have one that I'm going to post sometime in the near future. Would the Romans have transported Nabataean drachms to Rome in order to overstrike them?

DonnaML likes this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, it looks like many of the recently posted year end lists I've been meaning to get around to have already been kicked back to pages 3 and 4. Aaanyway...

Great selection! I voted for 1 and 2 (I'd really love to have a Titus elephant denarius someday), but all the coins on the list are great and really speak to your excellent taste as a collector of ancients. I'm looking forward to your next two lists!

Curtisimo and DonnaML like this.
  12. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying DonnaML. I did not reply yet...

First, wow, 73! That's a nice haul, even though less than last year :) Curious to see your other lists too, hope you can find the time to make them. I think I'm currently at some 19 coins, and I've sold a few this year too.

About your solidus, it strikes me that the obverses of the facing three-quarters-style solidii are generally speaking somewhat our of proportions, with the head being too long and the eyes too close to each other. On the other hand, I like the variety compared to (again generally speaking) Roman imperial portraits, which are (again generally speaking) shown from the side, either left or right facing. The reverse of your coin is, like you mention, very nicely done, with the right proportions. I like how the right leg of Constantinople is shown is such a way, that it gets a very nice 3d-effect.

DonnaML likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Over time the mark of a good source for coins is, IMO, how many of those coins you feel the need to upgrade or dispose of compared to how many find a long term home in your collection. My experience with the three mentioned has been very good in this regard. It is better to buy from people who love coins and who select what they sell rather than just marketing whatever is consigned to them. That does not mean buying only mint state coins but includes items with appeal of any nature (eye, history, style).

Curtisimo and DonnaML like this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great list @DonnaML ! My favorites;
    • #1 Beautiful stater!
    • #3 Nice all around Nerva. Great portrait and interesting type!
    • #9 The reverse on this coin is remarkable! Very nice!
    I’m looking forward to the other lists. Here are a couple of coins I think are relevant.
    254E1AB2-00D3-4917-868C-33205B06C915.jpeg
    2D981DC6-2C4E-4425-9ADF-F8F4C52CC585.jpeg

15. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I think that may be for the camel-alone type, which often comes well-struck on a full flan, but the companion piece

rarely has the quality we expect from the Rome mint. That quoted coin hammered at $2500 because it is very nearly full flan and is a "condition rarity." The great majority are crowded or very crowded and cost under $100.

Trajan4Bostra2131.jpg

This one, in pretty high grade, but crowded, cost about $100. The type is very rarely struck with its die-size matching the flan size. That would be unusual at the Rome mint.

16. DonnaML

My goodness; what happened to Trajan's tongue?!

17. DonnaML

I'm still not quite ready to decide on my Top 10 Roman Provincials, and it'll be at least a week or so before I can start thinking about my Top 10 Roman Republicans.

In the meantime, acting always in the interest of "showing and telling," I decided to select a Second Team of Roman Imperials for 2021: 10 more Imperials that I really like, but that didn't quite make the cut for the Top 10 (really, the Top 9 plus the Aspendos stater). There are at least a couple that I don't think I've posted here before.

No poll this time, but if anyone particularly likes any of these ten coins, or even thinks any of them are nice enough to belong in my Top 10, please let me know. (But please don't think you need to tell me which coin or coins you would drop from my original Top 10 list!)

11. Nero, AE As, 65 AD Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, [NER]O CAESAR • AVG • GERM IMP / Rev. Temple of Janus with closed double doors on right, garland hanging above doors, latticed windows and wall to left [flan flaw at wall], PACE P R VBIQ PARTA IANVM CLVSIT, S|C across fields. RIC I Nero 306, BMCRE 227, Sear RCV I 1974 (ill.), Cohen 171. 27 mm., 9.61 g., 7 h.

Nero - Temple of Janus - As  jpg version.jpg

12. Julia Titi Flavia (daughter of Titus), AE Dupondius 80-81 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right with hair bundled high in front and coiled in chignon high in back, IVLIA IMP T AVG F AVGVSTA/ Rev. Vesta seated left, holding palladium in right hand and long transverse scepter in left arm, VESTA below, S C across fields. RIC II-1 398 at. p. 223 (Titus) (2007 ed.), old RIC II 180 (Titus) (1926 ed.), Sear RCV I 2617 (ill.), BMCRE Titus 257. 26 mm., 12.23 g., 6 h.

Julia Titi - Vesta dupondius jpg version.jpg

13. Hadrian AR Denarius, Travel Series, Rome Mint, 130-133 AD (according to RIC II.3) [134-138 AD according to Mattingly & Sydenham in old RIC II]. Obv. Bare head right, HADRIANVS - AVG COS III PP / Rev. Asia standing left, right foot on prow, holding reaping hook [or acrostolium*] with right hand, and rudder with left hand, A S I A. RIC II.3 Hadrian 1507 (2009 edition); old RIC II Hadrian 301 (1926 ed.), RSC II Hadrian 188 (ill. p. 114), Sear RCV II 3462 (ill. p. 143), BMCRE 829. 18.5 mm., 3.4 g. [Part of Hadrian’s Travel Series, commemorating his travel to the Asia Province -- located in northwest Anatolia, largely comprising the former kingdom of Lydia -- in 123 AD. See Edward A. Sydenham, Historical References on Coins of the Roman Empire (1968 ed.; orig. pub. 1917) at p. 96. But see https://followinghadrian.com/hadriantravels, placing Hadrian’s visit to Asia in 124 AD, including its capital Ephesus on 29 Aug. 124.]

Hadrian Travel series Asia denarius jpg.jpg

*The new edition of RIC II (RIC II.3 1507) describes the object in Asia’s right hand as a “reaping hook.” The old RIC describes it as a “hook”; RSC as a hook or an acrostolium; Sear RCV as an “acrostolium(?),” with the rudder in her left hand called a steering-oar. Numiswiki defines an acrostolium as an “ornamental extension of the stem post on the prow of an ancient warship. Often used as a symbol of victory or of power at sea.” See https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Acrostolium. I think it is impossible to tell from my example which it is, although it certainly does not look particularly “ornamental.”

14. Hadrian AR Denarius, Travel Series, Rome Mint, 133-135 AD (according to RIC II.3) [134-138 AD according to Mattingly & Sydenham in old RIC II]. Obv. Bare head right, HADRIANVS - AVG COS III PP / Rev. Roma standing right in military dress, with right shoulder bare, holding inverted spear with left hand, receiving the arriving Emperor Hadrian standing left, togate, bearing a scroll in left hand, the two clasping their right hands, ADVE-NTVS AVG. RIC II.3 Hadrian 1984 (2019 ed.), old RIC II Hadrian 225a (1926 ed.), RSC II Hadrian 84a, Sear RCV 3455 (ill. p. 143), BMCRE 581. 18 mm., 3.46 g. {Part of Hadrian’s Travel Series, commemorating Hadrian’s arrival in Rome (adventus) at the end of his travels.]

Hadrian Adventus Roma jpg version.jpg

15. Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, AR Denarius [Restored Issue of Mark Antony Legionary Denarius Leg. VI, probably issued for 200th anniversary of Battle of Actium], 168-169 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Praetorian galley moving left over waves with four crew members, ANTONIVS AVGVR around from 8 o’clock, IIIVIR R P C across below galley / Rev. Legionary eagle (aquila) facing left between two standards, ANTONINVS ET VERVS AVG REST [ = Restituit] around from 8 o’clock, LEG - VI across lower field. RIC III M. Aurelius 443 (at p. 248), RSC I Mark Antony 83 (ill. at p. 127), Sear RCV II 5236 (ill. at p. 341), BMCRE 500. 19 mm., 2.86 g.

[​IMG]

*See Sear RCV II at p. 340: “Issue of Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus restoring the ‘Legionary’ Coinage of Mark Antony. The reasons for this remarkable restoration remain obscure. Mattingly (BMCRE, p. cxxiii) suggests that Legio VI Ferrata, which had fought for Antony at Philippi in 42 BC, may have played a leading role in the Parthian War of AD 164, the exceptional commemoration of this achievement on the coinage being prompted both by the the legion’s long and distinguished history and the similarity of the names ‘Antonius” and ‘Antoninus.” The 200th anniversary of the Battle of Actium [in 31 BC] perhaps provides a more obvious reason for the issue.” (Emphasis added.) [Remainder of footnote omitted.]

I really like the portrait on this one:

16. Faustina II (wife of Marcus Aurelius & daughter of Antoninus Pius), AR Denarius, ca. 162/163 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. draped bust right with hair in chignon behind, wearing double strand of pearls, FAVSTINA AVGVSTA ./ Rev. Fecunditas (or Faustina as Fecunditas) standing facing, head right, holding long scepter in right hand and, with left hand and arm, infant with its arms raised towards its mother (representing Marcus Annius Verus, b. ca. 162 AD*), FECVNDITAS. RIC III MA 677, RSC II Faustina II 99c (Faustina with double strand of pearls)**, Sear RCV II 5252, BMCRE Marcus Aurelius 92 (var. with Faustina wearing single strand of pearls***). 18.46 mm., 3.54 g.

Faustina II - FECVNDITAS - single infant (Annius Verus b. 162).jpg

*See Dinsdale Ch. 4 p. 51 & n. 1 [Dinsdale, Paul H., The Imperial Coinage of the Middle Antonines: Marcus Aurelius with Lucius Verus and Commodus, Ch. 4, Faustina II - Undated, 158-176 (http://romanpaulus.x10host.com/Marcus/04 - Faustina II - Undated, 158-176 (med_res).pdf) at p. 51] ("This issue refers to the birth of M. Annius Verus in 162"). See also https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Marcus_Annius_Verus_Caesar : “Marcus Annius Verus Caesar (born 162 or 163 – 10 September 169) was the 12th of 13 children of Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius and Empress Faustina the Younger. Annius was made caesar on 12 October 166 AD, alongside his brother Commodus, designating them co-heirs of the Roman Empire. Annius died on 10 September 169, at age seven, due to complications from a surgery to remove a tumor from under his ear. His death left Commodus as the sole heir. . . . He was given the name of Marcus Annius Verus because it was the original name of his father, Marcus Aurelius” -- as well as his grandfather and great-grandfather. [2nd and 3rd footnotes omitted.]

17. Divus Septimius Severus, AR Denarius 211 AD, Rome Mint (struck under Caracalla). Obv. Bare head right, DIVO SEVERO PIO / Rev. Eagle standing three-quarters right on globe, head left, with wings spread and tail showing beneath wings to left, CONSECRATIO. RIC IV-1 Caracalla 191C, RSC III Severus 84a, Sear RCV II 7051 (ill. at p. 545). 19 mm., 3.28 g.

Divus Septimius Severus jpg version cropped.jpg

18. Plautilla (wife of Caracalla; issued under Septimius Severus), AR Denarius, 203-204 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, hair in horizontal waves and drawn into large bun at back, PLAVTILLAE AVGVSTAE / Rev. Caracalla standing left, holding volumen with left hand and clasping right hands with Plautilla standing right, PROPAGO IMPERI. Short hairline flan crack. RIC IV (Caracalla) 362, RSC III (Plautilla) 21, Sear RCV II 7073 (ill.). 18 mm., 3.30 g., 6 h. [First appearance of reverse legend PROPAGO IMPERI, celebrating the hoped-for continuation of the Severan house through the union of Caracalla and Plautilla. Cf. RIC IV 367, showing Pietas (representing Plautilla) on reverse holding child, believed to have been issued to celebrate the 204 AD birth of child who died in infancy.]

Plautilla denarius - Plautilla & Caracalla reverse.jpg

I also think this one has a great portrait:

19. Maximinus I Thrax, AE Sestertius, 236-238 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM / Rev. Salus seated left, holding patera with outstretched right hand and using it to feed a serpent rising from an altar; resting left arm on side of chair, SALVS AVGVSTI; S C in exergue. RIC IV 85, BMCRE 175-176, Cohen 92, Sear RCV III 8338 (ill.). 31 mm., 17.58 g., 12 h.

Maximinus I Thrax Sestertius.jpg

20. Philip I AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG / Rev. Stone cippus inscribed COS | III in two lines, SAECVLARES AVGG. RIC IV-3 Philip I 24(c), RSC IV 193, Sear RCV III 8961 (ill. p. 154). 23 mm., 4.15 g., 6 h. (Part of series issued in connection with games commemorating 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)*janus

Philip I denarius cippus - SAECVLARES AVGG - COS III.jpg

*A cippus was a low stone column, usually square but sometimes round (as here), used for various purposes including as boundary stones and “to preserve the memory of some event.” See https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Cippus (noting “those cippi which commemorate the Secular Games”).

A photo of the reverses of the other antoniniani I have in this series can be seen at https://www.cointalk.com/attachments/philip-zoo-in-tray-4-jpg.1086993/.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  18. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Really nice #11 to #20 coins, Donna.

I can understand why it is hard to select top 10. Your #11-#20 are equally as good. I especially like your Julia Titi and the one with the galley (#15). Your Faustina Junior denarius also has a superb portrait.

Looking forward to you other two lists in the upcoming weeks. :)

19. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Triple or quadruple in my humble opinion!!! Easily.
    Great catch, @DonnaML Its easily my first choice!!!
    My second and third choices are “all the others.” ;)

DonnaML likes this.
  20. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I love (and don't have) the Nero temple of Janus type, so would be tempted to bump one of your original top 10 with that one. But I can see why your decisions here weren't easy!! Fabulous top 20. :D

Hmmm... I'm highly skeptical! You got that Aspendos for a nice price, but HJB's buy prices are typically astronomically high IMO.

Relevant coin:
    galerius argenteus.png
    (Galerius argenteus, Rome mint)

21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I love your Faustina II with the string of pearls ...

Here's mine.

Faustina Jr FECVNDITAS denarius.jpg

wittwolf, Spaniard, Curtisimo and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted