just a simple question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by igotchange, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your screen shot of the CBS4 site is an excellent example of the kind of misinformation that’s out on the web. It has numerous inaccuracies.

• There was only one 1970-S quarter overstruck on a 1941 Canadian Quarter
    • 1970-S quarters were only struck for proof sets, not general circulation
    • This quarter and other “unbelievable” proof coin errors were found in a safe deposit box that was confiscated by a Govt Agency (I think it may have been the DEA or FBI but I can’t remember the details). These coins were subsequently sold at a government auction.
    • It is widely believed that this coin along with the quarter over struck on a 1900 Barber quarter (referenced in a previous post) were done by a rogue employee at the mint. It was not part of the production process.
    So, contrary to the info you saw, nobody is going to find another one in circulation or even in a proof set. The person who wrote this filler for the TV station did not bother to check the facts even though the information was widely published by numismatic sources. If a news organization makes these kinds of mistakes, just think about how much other inaccurate junk is out there on youtube!

Chuck_A likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

as always once again i feel like a fool(go figure) for even remotely considdering just about anything in print for having validity more or less anything dated.wheres my monkey hitting self in the head e mote. thank you for your input.mostly clawcoins you should be a professor and thats a fact.

Spark1951 likes this.
  4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger, we all have to decide what to believe and from what source.

Fortunately here on Coin Talk we strive for accurate info. Any wonky stuff gets called out, and, because you posted we all got the full story...Spark

Draft saved Draft deleted