Just a reminder that has probably been posted before

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hoky77, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Crimp your staples! Today I received a two coins I purchased from a seller who obviously doesn't know how to package properly. I was dismayed to see that they were in 2x2's that were loose in a business envelope. None of the staples were crimped and one staple had broken. The sharp point punctured the cellophane of the other coin and being able to slide around freely in a plain envelope didn't help. There is no excuse for this. It only takes a few seconds and a pair of pliers. IMG_5442.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I Europe we use self-adhesive 2x2's. Helps to avoid this problem. Never had an issue with them. Leuchtturm makes them, I believe.

4. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Hang on I need to get my pliers (I have been bad about not crimping my staples) thank you for reminding me!

Paul M. and Hoky77 like this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

There's another brand of 2x2 made or crom Europe that I liked that you can't get here... I have one a half dime came in...really like the way it was made.

And yes there's a dealer here I no longer buy from who was famous for not crimping the staples and he used the 2x2 that were the 1x1's that hid rim dings and other damage...I called him out on both issue.s

Paul M., Hoky77 and Omegaraptor like this.
  6. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

I'd be pretty upset if i received a coin with fresh staple scratches from being improperly packaged for shipment. Are you sending it back?

7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

With the advent of Saflips I don't know why anybody even has any cardboard 2x2s anymore. They're such a pita. Ship in a saflip. 11.49 shipped for 50. Probably get cheaper as you buy more.

Paul M., Hoky77 and Omegaraptor like this.
  8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Man, I would have been really upset!!

NapoleonDynamite-Crimp-the-staples.jpg

Paul M., Hoky77, Omegaraptor and 3 others like this.
  9. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I use fabric lined envelopes I found at a show. None of the shops near me have Saflips so I'll have to pick some up online.

Not a fan of 2x2s when with the above two options you can take the coin out whenever you want.

10. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Instead of pliers, you can simply get a stapler designed for this. I use a Bostitch B900 flat clinch stapler.

Paul M., Paddy54 and Hoky77 like this.
  11. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

The coin was so under priced that I didn't want to. I sent him an email complaining about the issue. I haven't heard back yet.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Paddy54

I had a 1874 three cent piece scratched a very high quality coin,as well a 1939 rev 38 proof Jefferson Nickel.
    All because a dealer was to lazy to crimp the staples.
    You know to me that's punishable by being put in stocks....or better yet stapled to a wall about 6 foot off the ground.:jawdrop:

13. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Let me pick where the staples go:shifty:

Paul M. and jtlee321 like this.
  14. Paddy54

Ouch.....:woot:

TypeCoin971793 and Paul M. like this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I always crimp my staples!

This is an issue which a lot of people really just don't understand, and I don't know why.

Hoky77 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted