Featured Juno Martialis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

Just another speaking example.
    RIC 69
    3,09g 24,2mm 12h
    upload_2019-1-6_21-27-49.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Volusian. 251-253 AD. Æ Sestertius. Obv: IMP CAE C VIB VOLVSIANO AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: IVNONI MARTIALI, S-C across fields. Juno seated facing, holding wheat-ears and scepter in r. hand; all within domed distyle temple, set on three-tiered base. RIC IV 253a; Hunter 30.
    VolusianSestTempleOfJuno.jpg

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I find the style and proportions differences on the temples as shown on the sestertii posted here quite interesting. These are the same coins but very different. I have no explanation.
    ro1460b01991alg.jpg

Marsyas Mike, PeteB, Paul M. and 5 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I had to post this week's "Franklin's World" comic here!

36313_491cda2e.jpg

6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Trebonianus Gallus Antoninianus

Obv:– IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped cuirassed bust right
    Rev– IVNO MARTIALIS, Juno seated left, holding corn ears and sceptre
    Minted in Antioch. A.D. 251 - 253
    Reference:– RIC 83. RSC 47

Weight 4.86g. 22.50mm. 0 degrees

[​IMG]

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

This was such a great thread it needs another go-round. The occasion being a Trebonianus Gallus IVNO MARTIALI sestertius I just got in the mail, the non-temple version.

As I mentioned in another thread I resurrected today, I've been finding low-grade unattributed stuff in European eBay auctions that are, sometimes, pretty scarce, such as this one. It came from the Czech Republic (shipping time to Midwest USA: July 3-July 24 - not bad at all). It was described as "ROME EMPIRE SESTERTIUS"

At the risk of repeating some information already in this excellent thread, here is some Juno Martialis information from the "Four Bad Years" website (which I highly recommend):

"Juno Martialis is found exclusively on the coins of Gallus. Juno is the wife of Jupiter and Martialis mean "of Mars". This could then mean "to the warlike Juno" since Mars is the god of war (and Juno's son) and it has been conjectured that it is an appeal to Juno (who was worshipped as a goddess of healing in addition to other attributes) to fight the terrible plague that ravaged the empire. Others believe that the "Of Mars" refers to "of the month of March". Juno Martialis had a festival on March 7, and Juno Martialis may be identified with Juno Perusina of Perugia, Italy - Trebonianus' home town that received special favors from him. A third theory is that as goddess of fertility, "Juno Martialis" is just referring to Juno as being the mother of Mars. The fourth theory is that these coins are in honor of his wife, Baebiana, who had not been elevated to Augusta in favor of allowing Herennia Etruscilla to retain her title." Four Bad Years website http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/Trebonianus.htm

Here's my new one:

Trebonianus Gallus - Sest IVNO MART July 2020 (1).jpg

Trebonianus Gallus Æ Sest.
    (251-253 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

IMP CAES C VIB[IVS TRE]BON[IANVS GALLVS AVG], laureate, draped and
    cuirassed bust right / IVNONI [MARTIALI] S C, Juno seated left holding corn-ears & globe.
    RIC 109; Cohen 52.
    (20.21 grams / 28 x 24 mm)

Draft saved Draft deleted