Juno = June

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's June and it's named after the goddess, "Juno", post your favorite "Juno" coins.

[​IMG]
    Julia Maesa (218 - 225 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IVLIA MAESA AVG Draped bust right.
    R: IVNO Juno standing facing, head left, holding scepter and patera.
    3.3g
    20mm
    RIC 254 RSC 016

[​IMG]
    Julia Soaemias (219 - 222 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVGVSTA, draped bust right.
    R: IVNO REGINA, Juno standing right, holding scepter & palladium.
    Rome Mint
    20mm
    3.89g
    RIC 237, RSC 3, BMC 41

NGC Ch VF

oct.jpg
    Otacilia Severa, (244 - 249 A.D.)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: M OTACIL SEVERA AVG, diademed and draped bust right, resting on a crescent.
    R: IVNO CONSERVAT, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter.
    Rome, 246 - 248 A.D.
    24mm
    5.1g
    RIC 127; RSC 20

Scarce

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The obverse of this issue is often attributed to Venus, but Grueber identifies the deity as Juno (see BMCRR p. 366), given the similar head expressly identified as Juno Moneta on a later coin of L. Plaetorius (Crawford 396).
    Kx6efKT27rgNawH9Gc3JCDo45qfWPd.jpg
    GENS NAEVIA. Denarius (Serratus) Ar. 3.89g/19mm. 79 BC Auxiliary workshop of Rome. (FFC 937; Crawford 382/1b). Obv: Diademed head of Venus right, S.C behind, dotted border. Rev: Victory in triga to the right, with one horse looking backwards. Control marker L, above. C NAE BALB in exergue, dotted border.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

How about another Juno:
    C RENIUS.jpg
    C RENIUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Roma right, X behind
    REVERSE: Juno Capriotina in biga of goats right, C RENI below goats, ROMA in ex
    Struck at Rome 138 BC
    3.6g, 16mm
    Cr231/1, Syd 432

5. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Won this Juno Sospita ("Juno the Savior") in a lot of 5 denarii:D

Denarius Serratus, Rome, 79 BC
    18.46 x 18.06 mm; 3.607 g
    RRC 384/1, type 33; Sydenham 773; RSC I Papia 1; SRCV I 311

Sydenham proposed that the symbols on these denarii represent trade guilds and merchants (collegia opificum) in "Symbols on Denarii of L. Papius and L. Roscius", Numismatic Chronicle, 1931. The control marks on this type are normally paired related symbols. Each pair has only one set of dies. H.A. Seaby writes there are at least 235 pairs. However, Crawford in RRC, suggested that there is no such association with the collegia. Rather he believes they are a "random selection of pairs of everyday objects".

Ob.: Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat's skin; shallow cup behind.
    Rev.: Griffin springing right; rhyton ending in a horse left below L•PAPI in ex.

The symbols on this denarius may refer to the wine vendors trade guild.
    upload_2023-6-1_18-41-36.png
    upload_2023-6-1_18-41-52.png

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

This is my personal favorite. It is hard to find, cuz Capua traitored Rome during Hannibal promising they would become capital of Italia should he defeat the Romans... after Rome won, they slaughtered Capua’s aristocracy and destroyed all of their coins...

JUNO / IVNO

[​IMG]
    Campania CAPUA
    AE Semuncia
    215-212 BCE
    Diademed and draped bust of Juno r., with sceptre over l. shoulder.
    Rev. KAPV in Oscan characters Two xoana draped; to l., triple knot.
    Sambon 1038. Giard 17. SNG ANS 215. Historia Numorum Italy 495.
    Hannibal capital Italia

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Love the patina on that one.

Alegandron likes this.
  8. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Ho8xz5nLmiN7Ew6c2nFDYR3e9t8GW4.jpg

Crispina
    A.D. 178- 182
    Ӕ As
    23x24mm 9.9gm
    CRISPINA AVGVSTA; draped bust right.
    IVNO LVCINA S-C; Juno standing left, holding patera and sceptre.
    RIC III Rome 680

Wife of Commodus

9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

My favourite Juno (another L Papi):-

L Papius Denarius Serratus

Obv:– Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat skin tied under chin. Behind head, Dolphin wrapped around anchor.
    Rev:– Gryphon running right; in ex., L. PAPI.; in field, Hippocamp
    Minted in Rome from . B.C. 79.
    Reference(s) – RSC Papia 1. RRC 384/1. RCTV 311.
    Symbol variety – RRC -. Babelon -. BMCRR -.

A previously unknown symbol pair

[​IMG]

10. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

11. Alegandron

Thank you. It caught my eye, but when I saw the history of it, and is considered Rare, it was an easy snap-up for me.

Besides, how many times do you get to see Xoana as well as Oscan script? :)

Curtis and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  12. Alegandron

This is one of my favorites that you post. Great coin.

Curtis likes this.
  13. temp.png

Julia Domna AR Denarius. IVLIA AVGVSTA, draped bust right / IVNO, Juno standing half-left, holding patera and sceptre, peacock standing left, head turned back. RIC 559; RSC 82.

14. cmezner

What is its weight? is it a fourré?

15. Possibly, though the weight is 3.2g.

16. cmezner

Weight is ok; according to numismatics.org the average for this type is 3.24 g.

Probably it's just the picture that makes it look like a fourré

17. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins Mat. Juno.png
    Volusian. 251-253 AD. Æ Sestertius. Obv: IMP CAE C VIB VOLVSIANO AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: IVNONI MARTIALI, S-C across fields. Juno seated facing, holding wheat-ears and scepter in r. hand; all within domed distyle temple, set on three-tiered base. RIC IV 253a; Hunter 30.

Curtis, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  18. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

What a good idea for a topic... I think I may have a whole month's worth of additional Juno's to post & talk about, but I'll try to stay within reason...

Here are a couple of my Juno Sospita's with some interesting backstories.

The previous owner of the first wasn't a collector of ancients. Unfortunately, after NGC noted "deposits," he freaked out, thinking it was like a "Details" grade and the coin is no longer "collectable" (!).

Thorius Balbus Denarius NGC 2407432-007 E2.jpg

Perhaps he was overcome by Juno's spirit of renewal and purification, because he proceeded to crack open the case and try to scrub it clean!

Whatever NGC gave him on his resubmission must've pleased him even less, since he gave up and sold it to his LCS, who sold it to me.

(At least he kept photos to pass on!)

My other specimen is a "brockage." (These are fun!) I like it better:

Thorius Brockage ED JPG.jpg

In keeping with Juno's unchanging spirit of "eternal youth," I dug out the older auction photos from 1981 and 1998 (thanks to the R. Schaefer binders & Roman Republican Die Project at ANS and Liv Yarrow's Schaefer Guide).

Juno looked just as good back in 1981 and 1998, as she did when the Alba Longa Collection was sold at Aureo y Calico in 2019!

Finally, does a Hera count as Juno if she was struck under Marc Antony & Cleopatra? (From Greek Olympia, Elis, but under Roman control.)

Here's a storied middle bronze (Dupondius or Diassarion?) -- both as a type and specimen. The type itself has a highly controversial history of dating, which has changed dramatically from one generation to the next.

Elis Olympia E1TRWh.jpg

At one time, these were dated to the 4th or 3rd century BCE. One proponent was P.R. Franke [1984], in whose collection this coin resided for ~10 years prior to his death! (See his article on the excavations at Elis, Olympia und Seine Münzen, in Antike Welt 15.)

More recently, though, opinion has shifted toward a date in the late Roman Republican/Imperatorial period, possibly in the mid-30s BCE, under Antony & Cleopatra, shortly before the Battle of Actium. (E.g., Jennifer Warren, “The New Landscape,” and O. Hoover / CNG's HGC series. However, Wojan [Obolos 10] has recent made a vigorous case for pushing it back again to the 3rd Cent.!!)

As with other Roman Provincials, especially when struck to the standards of Roman denominations, can we imagine some contemporary audiences receiving this object as depicting the Latin Juno, rather than strictly a Greek Hera?

Elis Olympia Philipsen Warren Ars Classica.jpg

In a rare bit of luck, I've been able to trace this coin's chain of custody back nearly to its unearthing c. 1880s-1890s. It was sold as "Ex Sammlung P.R. Franke," but I recognized it from the Morcom Collection (which gave Ars Classica XV), and eventually found more as well

- Ex IGCH 216 (unknown findspot, 1887-1894) [who dispersed them? Was it Canon [Rev.] William Greenwell (1820-1918)?];
    - Gustav Philipsen (Copenhagen, 1853-1925) Collection; Hirsch XXV (25 Nov 1909), 1300;
    - Edward Perry Warren (1860-1928) Collection [Naville's "amateur étranger récemment décédé"?]; Naville Ars Classica XV (2 Jul 1930), Lot 809;
    - Lt. Col. Reginal Keble Morcom (1877-1961) Collection; Christopher Morcom Collection; CNG MBS 76 (12 September 2007), Lot 562 ;
    - Sammlung P.R. Franke (1926-2018); Solidus Auktion 108 (8 November 2022), Lot 137.

(I've been intermittent in my activity, but do we do these for the other months? I like it!)

19. cmezner

@Curtis totally fascinating all that you share with us. Thank you

Curtis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted