Juno Caprotina, Goddess of fertility

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by expat, Oct 19, 2023.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Caprotina is an epithet of Juno in Her aspect as a fertility Goddess. As Juno Caprotina She is associated with goats (Latin capra, "she-goat", caper, "he-goat") and with figs, both of which are symbolic of fertility: the fig fruit bears many seeds, and goats are well-known for their randiness. Her festival was called the Nonae Caprotina, or the "Nones of Caprotina", held on the nones or 7th day of July, and it was exclusively celebrated by women, especially slave-women.
    The Roman explanation of the Nonae Caprotina is thus: after Rome had survived a siege by the Gauls (historically in the 4th century BCE), some of the less-friendly neighboring Latin tribes decided to take advantage of Rome's weakened position and demanded Roman women in marriage, under the threat of destroying the city. While the Senate debated what to do, a slave-woman named Tutela took the matter into her own hands: with a group of other slave-women dressed as free women, she went to the amassed enemy army, and under the guise of celebrating a wedding feast, got the Latins quite drunk. After they had fallen asleep the slave-girls took their weapons, and Tutela climbed a nearby wild fig tree (caproficus in the Latin) and waved a torch as signal for the Romans to attack. This they did, and as a reward for the resulting victory, the Senate gave each slave-woman who participated her freedom, as well as a generous dowry. After that, in remembrance of the victory, the Nonae Caprotina were celebrated. Fig-branches and the milky sap of the fig-tree were offered to Juno, and festivities, feasts and rites were held in the fig-grove of the Campus Martius (the Plain of Mars).
    Juno Caprotina was usually depicted with goats, naturally enough: on one coin She rides a biga, a two "horse" chariot in this case drawn by a pair of goats; Her dress flows in the wind of Her speed and She holds what looks like a riding crop. On another coin, on which Her portrait is stamped, She wears a head-dress made of goat-hide, with the goat's head over Her own so that the horns are preserved in the back, and the lower jawline of the goat runs along Her own.
    AR denarius (3,87 g. 17 mm.). Rome, 138 B.C. C Renius
    Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet and 5 drop earring; behind, X designating value/
    C•RENI below, ROMA in exergue, Juno Caprotina, holding crook, reins and scepter, driving biga of goats right.
    Crawford 231/1; Sydenham 432; Renia 1.

fo2Y5iLMg6jF9pWWcH3aQ4mTxz7GYT.jpg
    Please post your Juno Caprotinas or anything related to goats

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

C RENIUS.jpg
    C RENIUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Roma right, X behind
    REVERSE: Juno Capriotina in biga of goats right, C RENI below goats, ROMA in ex
    Struck at Rome 138 BC
    3.6g, 16mm
    Cr231/1, Syd 432

Curtis, Johndakerftw and expat like this.
  4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I don't think I have a Juno Capriotina (I love the goat bigas!) but I have Juno Sospita with the goat-skin headdress. (Sometimes I get confused by different epithets!)

Twice (once incuse) on this brockage:

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic. L. Thorius Balbus, c. 105 BC. AR Denarius (19 mm, 3.87 g, 12 h).
    Obv: I•S•M•R Head of Juno Sospita to right, wearing goat-skin headdress.
    Rev. Incuse of obverse.
    Refs: Cf. Babelon (Thoria) 1, Crawford 316/1, RBW 1168 and Sydenham 598.
    Prov: Ex Colleción Alba Longa (J. F. Molina), vol. II, Aureo y Calicó 339 (14 Nov 2019), Lot 1398; Aureo 89 (4 Mar 1998), Lot 1345; ANE-Calicó (15 Dec 1981), Lot 508. Images of this coin included twice in ANS RRDP "Schaefer Binder" No. 22, p. 2 (1981 & 1998 sales).

Here, on the reverse of a Procilius Denarius, hurling a spear:

Procilius AR Denarius Jupiter Juno Kunker e-59, Lot 8212.jpg
    L. Procilius AR Denarius (3.76 g), Rome, 80 CE.
    Obv: Laureate head of Jupiter r.
    Rev: Juno Sospita standing right w/ shield & spear, snake to right (mostly off flan).
    Ref: Crawfor 379/1; Syd. 771
    Prov: Kuenker, ex Niederrheinischen Privatsammlung (“Lower Rhine Collection,” Ton Nuij Coll., formed c. 1970-2010s).

Bing, Johndakerftw and expat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted