Junk silver from kitco... Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RabidRick, Sep 1, 2014.

1. RabidRick

RabidRick Sardonic Devil's Advocate

Kitco sells bags of junk silver for about a grand and a half (100 dollars face value). Are these all culls or are a lot of the dates at least readable?

If someone has purchased one of these, please let me know your experience. I want to get an opinion before I go throwing a grand and a half at it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I would like to know the quality of this junk silver coins that these big dealers are selling as well.

4. RabidRick

Yeah. Even though I don't think it is as overspeculated as gold right now I have no interest "investing" in silver. I would only purchase it for the coins themselves but if I get a bag of junk with unreadable dates it's a complete waste.

5. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

In that case I would ignore the junk silver bags entirely. Instead I'd go after XF+ and if you can afford it MS65 +

The beauty of a coin is in the details. when too much detail is worn off it lacks the ability to make your eyes open wide with appreciation for the great art that once was of minting coins.

6. RabidRick

I completely agree.

The thing is, all my really good coins are locked away at the bank :c

I'm trying to get some date sets going and am looking for fillers.

7. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

These bags are not supposed to have excessively worn, bent, holed or otherwise damaged coins in them. If you ask them about the quality of the dimes in their bags I am sure Kitco will tell you. I am certain that all of the coins would have readable dates and very few, if any, culls in them as well.

A former boss of mine bought two bags of half dollars a couple years ago and in one of them were eight 1982 Columbian Expo halves in AU condition plus quite a few AU/MS60 Walking Liberty halves. The other was a typical bag of VF-MS60/61 Walker Liberty, Franklin and Kennedy halves.

RabidRick likes this.
  8. RabidRick

Thanks!

Might be something to look into, then.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I cannot speak of the bags of these dealers, but I have seen tons of junk silver bags. For halves, you will get up to VF walkers, AU Franklins, (maybe baggy BU 1960's,), and of ocurse nearly every kennedy is BU. Dimes will mainly be roosevelts with up to XF WWII mercuries. Its been this way since the late 70's at least.

There ARE bags put together when silver spikes made up of better coins, but its hard to find these. If you are lucky you can come across some of these, but they are not too easy to find. When silver spiked in 1980 some bags were put together with lots of barbers, SL quarters, etc. Those are great bags, but like I said I would not count on them.

10. merrill01

merrill01 Member

15 times face is not bad. A few years ago the coin stores were paying 23 times face, so if you think silver will go up, it is a good deal.

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The junk silver I have seen are just as have been described here. Just circulated silver coins. Typically no culls, but there could be some. The coins won't have a collector premium over melt.

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I hate to admit, but I can remember about 25 years ago buying junk silver and still finding Barbers back to 1892 in them. The most interesting junk silver find was about half a roll of Columbian halves.

13. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Keep in mind your buying silver...... so look through and pick out what you want to keep, then wait for silver to take an up tick and unload... :)

14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I would think you'd get 1960 Roosevelt dimes, which r always a bore. But u never know. Maybe try a smaller bag first

Draft saved Draft deleted