Junk Silver Albums for Fun

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jaelus, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

So I have a side project I've been working on over the years for fun whenever I buy junk silver. Namely that I have a few Danscos where I am endeavoring to complete as much of the sets as possible with coins exclusively sourced from junk bins. I go for the best eye appeal and I upgrade slots when I can; the only rule is that I cannot pay more than 1.5x melt for any coin that goes into these sets.

So far I have put together two complete sets of silver Roosevelt dimes in gem grades, a set of mercury dimes (except for the 1916D), half of a Barber dimes set, and a bit over 2/3rds of a walking liberty halves set. The mercs and WLH sets have quite a few uncirculated examples in the later dates.

Does anyone else try to do this with their junk silver? Feel free to share.

fretboard, Jim Dale, Chris B and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I did it- with low grade Barber dimes & quarters.

LakeEffect and Jaelus like this.
  4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here are some pics of what I've been able to put together for mercs from junk boxes. Nothing here cost more than 1.5x melt, and many of them were gotten under melt (I think the lowest I've paid for a merc is about 50 cents).

Page 1 is AG-VG, and page 2 has about a dozen AU-UNC with a couple nice toners.

Of note, but not in the book, I also found a nice incomplete planchet example in a junk box, but ended up selling it. I've found several sets of the 1921 and 1921D over the years from junk boxes and sold them, but I kept the nicest of them for my album.

Other notables I've found in junk boxes for near melt are a set of 1921 and 1921D WLH and even an 1893S Morgan in borderline VG/F.

merc_p1.jpg
    merc_p2.jpg

5. Treashunt

amazing, you got the 1921 P & D + the '26 S in junk?

I believe it.

At two metal detecting hunts, I got #2 21 D's - one AG, and one AG with a scratch, from digging it up. Also, at least one 1916S.

In junk silver I also got a 21D - cost 50 cents.

Randy Abercrombie and Jaelus like this.
  6. Treashunt

This thread deserves a bump!

So...........

Bump

John Burgess likes this.
  7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I been waiting to get into doing this, waiting for silver to come down to $17 an oz. or lower like before the pandemic run up. otherwise I'll just keep roll hunting for it. LOL

8. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

With the various "value/price" schedules being what they have always been, I thought that was the only way that partial sets could be formed.

I generally always bought the more expensive keys as part of a lot from a cooperative seller. It took many years to complete some sets as the Mercury dimes.

If one looks at my feedback, they'd see that I shared duplicates with young Numismatists in the range of your estimated maximum expense. I stopped doing that after realizing that most buyers consider a "deal" always due them, and don't appreciate scarcity. Over the years only one buyer appreciated the scarce additions to his deceased fathers collection.

Congratulations!!

JMHO

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    tibor likes this.
  9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I like this forum.. I just finished the FDR Silver Coins set. I tried to get the nicest ones for less than $20. So far, my highest price coin was $18. I'm now working on the Mercury dimes. It looks like I'm going to have to spend more than I did on the Silver FDR Dimes. I'm also working on the Quarters before the State quarters. Although I have filled my book of State Quarters and a book of the America the Beautiful quarters. I though I would never get the Tuskegee Airmen quarters. I got the set of 3, but I just couldn't figure out how to get them out without destroying them. But, I really like doing this, and so does my wife, because it keeps me from buying more expensive coins. Don't tell her this, but she just bought a human hair wig. It's beautiful, but I think I could have bought a Quarter ounce gold coin for what she spent. I thought when we got older, we wouldn't be as vain, but I was wrong.

johnyb and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Interesting project. I'm surprised you were able to buy Unc Walkers at 1.5 spot but, if a dealer has to many low grade unc's or even AU's I guess it's possible. Two sets of gem Roosevelts is also interesting. The dealer must buy a lot of junk silver to toss gems into junk boxes. I want to make sure I understand what you are calling gem Roosevelts. Do you mean they appear to be at least MS 65 or better or do you simply mean they are unc to choice unc. There is a big difference in value. I don't know of a dealer that would do that unless he just has to much coming in and wants to sell it quick. Sounds like a good deal though.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Beautiful dimes, even in lower grades, one of the coolest coins ever minted! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted