Junk mail from eBay seller...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seattlite86, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I get some from MCM and it's nice to window-shop for a kilo gold coin but come on guys, my whole order was under a $100. They have to know that's over my budget!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You guys that think that eBay is going to do anything to stop any of it are kidding yourselves. It's the big sellers that do that, the ones that have their own rules and yes they can send you advertising if you want.

If you really want you can request it to be stopped or just keep writing return to sender on it and drop it at the PO to send it back.

Calling eBay is a waste of your breath and time

Otherwise just trash it or put it in the recycling and go about your day. It's really not a big deal

Bambam8778 likes this.
  4. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I would hope that because someone sent you some mailers you wouldn't use that as the sole reason not to do business with them.
    They wouldn't have any way of knowing that and what they are hoping for is that you go a little crazy and buy that thing because of their marketing. If you don't, I'm sure they have the price so jacked up that little bit of paper they sent you isn't going to matter much to them.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Of course not, but you edited out the qualifying part of the statement, which was...

"...so if this entity has any level of competence they should honor your request." (Emphasis added)

The issue addressed wasn't the fliers/mailers but if this company refused to honor a customer's written request that they cease sending them. If a business cannot respect a customer's wishes to not be flooded with junk mail, it is absolutely reasonable to refuse any future business with them. :)

6. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I don't feel it would be reasonable and that was what I was trying to say. Junk mail isn't anything to be getting all worked up over. It's pretty petty actually.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You're certainly welcome to your opinion on the matter (as am I).

If you're okay with a company having so little respect for you they're willing to ignore a written request, that's fine. You can continue giving them all the business you so choose, but this doesn't mean it's not a poor business practice, especially for a niche business in which repeat business can be paramount. Obviously they want repeat business or else they wouldn't be flooding past customers with junk mail. It's simply not wise to cut off one's nose to spite their face.

Personally, I would find the refusal of the business to respect my wishes to be infinitely more petty, but again you're certainly free to disagree.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

At the end of the day people doing mass mailings have a lot of people involved and are just sending things out to everything. I would never spend the money to mass mail and honestly I think a lot could save money updating their marketing, but it’s just not that big of deal. If someone has something I want at a price I like I won’t not buy because they sent me junk mail

Most mail at this point is junk mail

9. HOWARD GOTKIN

HOWARD GOTKIN Member

Call ebay Cust Service and tell them what's going on. I think that he's in violation of ebay policy.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

My father did that for three years before he stopped tracking them. The number increased each year and the third year it was something like 2,100 requests for money. An average of roughly 7 requests per day 6 days a week..

11. Granbeck

Granbeck Active Member

That's the only thing I can think she was doing with them. I don't think she was thinking to reuse the envelope. That was a great generation.

Draft saved Draft deleted