Junk mail from eBay seller...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seattlite86, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

So about a month and a half ago, I bought a $15 coin off a seller on eBay. The coin came in a giant package filled with advertisements from the company, which has a seemingly large list of coins for sale (kind of like Littleton or something, with a huge advertising campaign). I actually had to dig through the advertisements to find my coin hidden in there. No big deal; I didn’t mind them sending that. However, I’ve since received three more letters full of advertising from this company. What are your thoughts on this? Is this acceptable behavior from an eBay seller? Should that receive neutral or negative feedback? Should I report the seller? What would you do? I have already written them on eBay and demanded they stop advertising to me. What should I do if I get another mailer from them?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Mark packages REFUSED and have the post office return to sender on their dime!

SmokinJoe, MisterWD, JCro57 and 6 others like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Good advice if they are sent first class but I don't think the P.O. is required to return to sender if the mail is sent pre-sorted or bulk rate. (discounted rates). I don't think Ebay would do anything about it though as they are not soliciting via their site. Once someone has your address it's an open ended free for all.

Seattlite86 and Hookman like this.
  5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I find or ask for a self addressed envelope postage paid, and fill em with rocks, or their crap back again. They understand quick that way. I only had it happen a few times in 30 years.

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would call them up and talk to a person. If you explain it will all go into the trash and you aren't interested, a sane company would save the expense of mailing it all to you.

Alegandron and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Don't sweat the small stuff - toss it in your paper recycling bin and forget it :rolleyes:

8. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

I was standing in line once at the PO and a little old man didn't want to accept a solicitation from a credit card company, and he wanted them to send it back. He was afraid if he opened it it'd be a form of acceptance, so he wanted them to send it back. The guy behind the counter was trying to be helpful and help the old guy understand they can't send it back. One line he said stuck with me, "we don't send the mail we deliver it."

SmokinJoe, tommyc03 and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bill Burr would have a field day with that line........

CasualAg$ and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Junk mail does seem to excel at starting the fireplace.

11. Seattlite86

So this is my frustration. I buy off of eBay so I don’t have to deal with this kind of thing. I’m pretty sure they’re breaking some sort of eBay rules by advertising to customers. It doesn’t bother me on the first delivery of what I asked for, but subsequent ones are breach of trust with my mailing address.

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Modern Coin Mart does this and so does Coast to Coast Coins. I get flyers from them all the time and just toss them into the recycling bin.

13. Seattlite86

This doesn’t violate any eBay rules as they would not have had access to the address without eBay and there was no consent given for them to send more than the purchased item. I personally consider this a breach of trust.

14. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I have bought from a few larger companies on ebay and they don't send me anything after the initial purchase. It's gotta be only certain people and I wouldn't mind, really. I would enjoy reading the absurd prices that they are trying to get. It would be a little bit of humor!

15. HOWARD GOTKIN

HOWARD GOTKIN Member

16. HOWARD GOTKIN

HOWARD GOTKIN Member

On ebay its ok for them to send you newsletters via email but not to try and do business offline. I suggest you contact ebay customer service at 1-866-540-3229 as I believe the vendor is out of Compliance with his ebay seller's contract.

Sasquatch likes this.
  17. Granbeck

Granbeck Active Member

When I cleaned out my late mother's house, I found a large stack of envelopes from places asking for money - charities, etc. She evidently was trying to see how many she actually got.

18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not quite. You can do any kind of business offline you want once you have someone's email and address. Email address's are available through Pay Pal. You CAN'T do additional business online through eBay's messaging system. That IS a violation of policy. And you have to subscribe to newsletters, a seller cannot just add you to their newsletter list as far as I know. There's no way Ebay can police anything outside of their system. A complaint will end up in this case as a he said, she said. Best just to throw out the unwanted mail and let it go. Eventually, if you don't purchase the seller will stop sending mailings.

19. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yes, and it's the same with store flyers you get each week. The P.O. is paid and contracted to stuff these in your mail box weather you want them or not. And you cannot get them to stop this.

20. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

I'd rather deal with junk mail than phone calls. I ordered a couple 1964 kennedy halves from an ebay seller called bullionsharkllc a few weeks ago, now the guy's calling me with a sales pitch every couple days. You guys want his phone number?

C-B-D likes this.
  21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Feedback should be for the actual purchase/transaction and shouldn't be applied anything outside of it, period.

If you've already requested that they remove you from their mailing list, there's little reason to worry about the what-ifs. If they ignore said request simply deal with it then. As someone else has already said, it's foolish business to give potential customers a reason never to deal with you again, so if this entity has any level of competence they should honor your request.

Draft saved Draft deleted