Junk Box Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kentucky, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I thought there was a thread for this, but searching I don't see anything. OK, so I'll start one. Flea market yesterday - guy has a ziplock bag of what looks to be all Mexican coins (after all, I live in Southern CA). I root around in them and come out with these for $1
    junk1.JPG junk2.JPG
    The one centavo is 1906, I was intrigued with a 500 peso coin, I like owls (gonna get me an Athena one day) and I like Indian coins.

What have you found?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

20170924_202954.jpg 20170924_203020.jpg 20170924_203004.jpg 20170924_203028.jpg 20170924_202900.jpg 20170924_202913.jpg Ohh I like those while (especially the owl one, the eagle on in the top right of the bottom pic, and the one centavo) I don't have any experience buying coins I have found 2 mercury dimes in the bottom of a coin star and a wheat penny in the bottom of a sticky old cup holder if those count.

Edit: (pictures)

Thanks,
    Jacob

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Kentucky likes this.
  4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I like your coins and I think they are definitely worth a buck to get them. I have only found this one coin at a local store. There is a little plastic cup where they have pennies that people can take or leave. To be honest, I do not know how that works or why it is there; but, I always look through the cup to see if there are wheat cents in there. If there are, I ask to exchange those for new cents. The lady always agrees. This day when I came across this coin at the bottom of the cup, the store owner invited me to take it. Neither of us knew where it was from. I found out once I got home that it's from the Ukraine. I like it a bunch for a couple of reasons I won't go all into here.
    image2 (3).JPG image1 (2).JPG

longshot and Kentucky like this.
  5. Kentucky

Jacob, do you have any way to post pictures?

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 500 peso coin was before the devaluation. (1000-1 face value would be 50 centavos (1/2 a peso) about 3 cents) most likely worth more as a coin to a collector. 50 cents says NGC.
    The Euro is worth more than a dollar but there is no way to cash it in.
    The old centavo is worth 50-80 cents depending on the variety.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Yeah, didn't think I was getting rich, just like I found a couple of 500 yen coins in a junk box and thought...Wow, those are almost $5...and then I realized that I wasn't going to Japan in the near future. :)

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

You could sell them to someone who is. :D

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Yep just had to uncover the lost artifacts ;)

20170924_203344.jpg (I edited the post)

Thanks,
    Jacob

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

At least half of my collection is from junk bins, so I'd be posting a lot of pictures.

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Actually my daughter and her husband went to Japan some time later and I gave them a bunch of modern coins I didn't want.

13. Kentucky

Pick out some good ones and let us see them.

LaCointessa likes this.
  14. Hiddendragon

Here's a few. The Turkish 25 kurush is gold and has about $50 worth of gold in it, so I'm pretty proud of finding that for 15 cents. 1929 lundy half puffin.jpg 1953 madagascar 5 francs.jpg 1965 belgian congo 10 francs.jpg 1973 greece 20 drachmai2.jpg turkey 25 kurush.jpg

15. Kentucky

16. LaCointessa

17. Hiddendragon

It was at my favorite local coin shop, which like most coin shops has world coin junk bins but specializes in U.S. coins. It's a small coin. I assume they just thought it was a token or something. It's also Turkish with no Western date or writing on it, so it's easy to dismiss if you don't know much about the series. I only knew enough to know it might be something good, until I got home and was able to do some research.

LaCointessa likes this.
  18. LaCointessa

I don't have any local coin shop in my neighborhood...
    or, dooooo I?

Draft saved Draft deleted