June 8th: the Death of the Emperor who never saw Rome.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

The history
    Macrinus
    was the Praetorian Prefect under Caracalla. When the Emperor heard a prophecy that Macrinus was destined to become the next Emperor, the poor Prefect probably pissed in his pants, knowing very well the patient and kind personality of the young ruler. So he commissioned the assassination of the Emperor, and four days later, the Eastern legions hailed Macrinus as Emperor, and his son Diadumenian as Caesar. Fourteen months later, a mutinery, inspired by the sister of Julia Domna, broke out in Syria in the spring of 218 AD. In an effort to win again the loyalty of the troops, Macrinus elevated his son to the rank of Augustus and declared a large donative. These efforts were too late, however, and the Emperor and Diadumenian were captured and executed June 8th. It appears that Macrinus spent his entire reign in the East and never had the chance to visit Rome again.

18F61747-0BA2-4641-AE04-3782D3D99998.jpeg

The coinage
    The coins of Macrinus are very rare in gold and scarce in bronze and silver. The existence of an Imperial mint in the East, probably at Antioch, under Severus, Caracalla and again under Elagabalus, makes it probable that during the short reign of Macrinus the same mint was in operation concurrently with that of Rome.

All of Macrinus’ coinage carries the same obverse legend, incorporating his adopted name of Severus: IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG (or slightly longer CAES on the bronze coinage). Two distinct bust varieties are represented, the first with cropped hair and beard, replaced later in September 217 AD with an older face and long beard. It is a mystery why the early types show a younger bust, but it may have been that the only images of Macrinus available to die engravers in Rome at the start of his reign were outdated to be replaced later. It is also possible that Macrinus actually wore a short beard, and deliberately ordered that the coins be changed to show a longer "philosopher's beard" to stress continuity with the Antonine dynasty and Septimius Severus. The development of Macrinus’ coinage is based largely on the reverse types, for which there are both dated and undated types, that follow Macrinus’ various imperial titles. A relatively typical range of types appear, including those that reference the fidelity of the military (FIDES MILITVM), Jupiter as the emperor’s protector, and various personifications (Annona, Felicitas, Fides, Salus, and Securitas). The development outlined in RIC IV.2 is as follows:

9D550785-D218-4FB5-8C0C-53E082D5EDF0.jpeg

Interesting fact: When Macrinus heard that the eastern mint (Antioch ?) started to produce coins bearing the title COS II on January 1st of 218 AD, he ordered that the coin legends be restored to the usual correct version, COS. Thus, specimens with the COS II legend may actually pre-date the coins bearing the legend COS !

Two provincials of the father/son duo:

048CF080-4344-4FA9-B8F6-4831F07C119E.jpeg
    Macrinus (ex @Justin Lee )

C8605733-D11E-4398-A94E-E3A4FE7A67F9.jpeg
    Diadumenian

Please show me your short/long beard examples of the Emperor who never saw Rome !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I've got a nice provincial of father that I can post when I get home.
    Still looking for son.
    Just posting this here now so that I remember to update when I get home from work :)

Thanks for the write-up and can't wait to see others' coins!

4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Showed this Macrinus more then once :)

Macrinus Nemesis bb (3).jpg

5. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Just one provincial from Macrinus in my collection.
    upload_2021-6-8_15-0-21.png

Macrinus (217-218) Syria: Antiochia ad Orontem, c. AD 217-218 AE20
    AVT K MOC MAKPINOC CE - laureate head right.
    Rev. SC within laurel wreath above, Δ below, ε.
    SNG Copenhagen 233; McAlee 725; BMC 387.
    3,91 gr, 20 mm

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is the coin that is my "all emperors" set.

Macrinus Den All.jpg

Denarius of Macrinus, Obverse: IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG “Emperor caesar Marcus Opellius Severus Macrinus augustus.” Reverse: SECVRITAS TEMPORUM Securitas standing, legs crossed, holding a scepter, leaning on a column, Similar to Sear 7365

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

An Imperial and a Provincial, both short-bearded.

Macrinus - Den Jupiter 2768.jpg MACRINUS
    AR Denarius. 3.18g, 19.7mm. Rome mint, circa August AD 217. RIC 73; Cohen 33. O: IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right. R: IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left holding thunderbolt and scepter.

Macrinus - Nicopolis AE27 2514.jpg MACRINUS
    AE27. 12.75g, 26.6mm. Varbanov 3437 (same dies); Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (Feb 2019) 8.23.7.6. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum, AD 217-218. Statius Longinus, magistrate. O: AVT K M AVP CEV ANTΩNEINOC, laureate, draped and curiassed bust, seen from behind. R: YΠ CTA ΛONΓINOY NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC I, Apollo standing facing, head turned left, holding branch and bow.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have not heard the suggestion that there was an Imperial mint for Macrinus in the East since many years ago when some people had trouble with the great portrait change that occurred at Rome giving us both the short beard and long beard portraits. The official word on the new man's appearance took a while to reach Rome. I have my opinions on the matter and no longer agree with the thoughts I had in 2013 when Bing brought this up.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/macrinus.223026/
    The question now: Which came first? This is one of the pages I regret being unable to update since I lost access to my site.
    rn0010bb1672.jpg rn0020bb1200.jpg

Provincials come both ways, too. I do not own a good long beard one.
    pn1550bb2037.jpg pn1560bb1879.jpg pn1590bb1707.jpg

I consider this last Marcianopolis interesting since the senior ruler is on the right side opposite the more common orientation. Accident?
    pn1600bb2318.jpg

9. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Medium beard:
    .png
    IMP CAES M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG
    Laureate and cuirassed bust right, featuring a medium beard, from the front
    PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP S C
    Felicitas standing facing, head left, long caduceus in right hand, cornucopia in left hand, drapery over left arm
    Sestertius, Rome, 1.Oct.-31.Dec.217
    20,5 gr, 31 mm
    RIC IV 139, Cohen 66, Sear 7386, Clay ("The Roman Coinage of Macrinus and Diadumenian") Sestertius obverse die Nr.2 and reverse Nr.42 (this coin)
    ex Prince Waldeck Collection, Auction Münzhandlung Basel 3, 1935 (Lot 730)

10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Nice write up and some fun coins!
    Here's the Mac himself:
    173128s.jpg share5685270963248838147.png

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Macrinus (217 - 218 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right, from front, younger features with medium beard.
    R: PONTIF MAX TR P COS P P, Jupiter standing half left, nude, no cloak, thunderbolt in right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand.
    2.73g
    20mm
    Rome Mint, Sep 217 A.D
    RIC IV 15 (S), RSC III 55b, BMCRE V 31, SRCV II 7342, Hunter III

Ex. Maxwell Hunt Collection

[​IMG]
    Macrinus (217 -218 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    MESOPOTAMIA, Carrhae
    O: AVT K M ΟΠ CЄ MAKPINOC CЄ, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: ΔHMAPX ЄΞ VΠATOC, eagle standing facing on bull's head flanked by pellets, head right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak.
    12.71g
    27mm
    Prieur 827; Bellinger 165

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Great write-up, as always, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix! Love these "on this day" historical tidbits!

Here's the short-bearded version of the fellow, on one of my favorite coins ever!

[​IMG]
    Macrinus, AD 217-218.
    Roman provincial Æ pentassarion, 12.64 g, 27 mm, 1 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Nicopolis, Legate Marcus Claudius Agrippa, AD 218.
    Obv: ΑV Κ ΟΠΠΕΛ CΕVΗ ΜΑΚΡΙΝΟC, laureate head, right.
    Rev: VΠ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΑ ΝΙΚΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ ΠΡΟC ΙCΤΡΩ, Nude Apollo with crossed legs standing right, his right arm drawn back, his left on a tree trunk, from which a lizard leaps across to him.
    Refs: AMNG I 1687; Moushmov 1210; Hristova and Jekov 8.23.7.2; Varbanov 3348; Mionnet Suppl. 2, p. 148, 541.

And the long-bearded version on an imperial denarius:

[​IMG]
    Macrinus, AD 217-218.
    Roman AR denarius, 2.94 g, 19.5 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 217.
    Obv: IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: PONTIF MAX TR P COS P P, Fides Militum standing facing, head right, right foot on helmet and holding a military standard in each hand.
    Refs: RIC 22A; BMCRE 38; Cohen 60; RCV 7345; ERIC II 69.

13. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great write-up as always, O. Here's my newest Macrinus, a tetradrachm from Tyre. Not much of a beard, but still a nice portrait.

8F845822-DBA7-4229-87FB-175DE9CDE111.jpeg

Macrinurs, Phoenicia, Tyre, 217-218 AD, BI Tetradrachm (25 mm, 12.52 g). ΑΥΤ•ΚΑΙ•Μ•ΟΠ•CЄ•ΜΑΚΡΙΝΟC•CЄ• Laureate head of Macrinus to right./ Rev. •ΔΗΜΑΡΧ•ЄΞ•ΥΠΑΤΟC•Π Π• Eagle with spread wings standing facing on club, head to left and holding wreath in beak; between the eagle's legs, murex shell. Prieur 1554.

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Macrinus 3.jpg
    MACRINUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, laureate & cuirassed bust with short beard right
    REVERSE: PONTIF MAX TR P COS P P, Securitas standing left, holding scepter & leaning on column
    Struck at Rome, 217 AD
    3.15, 20mm
    RIC 24, RSC 62, BMC 40
    Macrinus 4.jpg
    MACRINUS
    Pentassarion AE28
    OBVERSE: AVT K OPEL CEVH MAKREINOC K M OPEL ANTWNEINOC - confronted busts
    REVERSE: VP PONTIAN-OV MARKIANO/ POLIT, Coiled serpent with radiate head
    Struck at Markianopolis, Moesia Inferior, Magistrate Pontianus; 217 - 218 AD
    12.6g, 28mm
    Hr & J (2012) 6.24.22.6
    Macrinus 1.jpg
    MACRINUS
    AE 26
    OBVERSE: AVT K M OPEL CEVH MAKPINOC, laureate head right
    REVERSE: UP AGRIPA (sic) NIKOPOLITWN PROS ISTRWN, Aequitas standing right, holding scales and cornucopiae
    Struck at Nikopolis ad Istrum, 217 AD
    10.2g, 26mm
    Moushmov 1243

15. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Macrinus - Securitas
    image.jpg
    Macrinus - IOVI CONSERVATORI
    image(1).jpg
    Macrinus - Amphipolis
    image(2).jpg

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Jovian, the commander of the guard and successor to Julian who concluded a shameful treaty with the Persians. He died on the way back to Constantinople from fumes of a charcoal brazier in his room that interacted with the chemicals from freshly plastered walls, according to the sources. Probably carbon monoxide.

Never saw Rome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

My only Macrinus is short-bearded:

Rom – Macrinus, Denar, Jupiter RIC 76b.png
    Macrinus, Roman Empire, AR denarius, 217–218 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG; laureate and cuirassed short-bearded bust of Macrinus r. Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI; Jupiter standing left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre; to left, small figure of Macrinus standing r. 20mm, 3.21g. Ref: RIC IV Macrinus 76b.

18. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...hmm...i thought it was Max Thrax who never saw Rome...(i know, you said 'home')..anyways... i bought these 2 provincials years ago together unidentified simply because i wanted a 'snake' coin..i suspected Marcrinus & Diadumenian later and @dougsmit settled it finally a while back :) IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0393.JPG 26&25mm, 8.71&6.70gms respectively..

19. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Roma E-Sale, Lot 614.jpg
    Emesa-Syria, Macrinus, AD 217-218, Reverse: Shamash between legs of eagle. Billon Tetradrachm: 11.67 gm, 25 mm, 1 h. Prieur 972.

Macrinus, Prieur 890.jpg
    Cyrrhestica-Beroea (modern day Aleppo, Syria), Macrinus, AD 217-218. Billon Tetradrachm: 14.80 gm, 26 mm, 6 h. Prieur 890.

20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I was going to mention Maximinus Thrax as well, as an emperor who never saw Rome during his reign.

Here's my one Imperial denarius of Macrinus, notable for its very light weight. Certainly not a short beard, but I don't know if one would call it medium or long:

Macrinus AR Denarius 217 AD, Obv. Laureate head right, IMP C M OPEL MACRINVS AVG / Rev. Securitas standing, facing, leaning on a column, head left, holding a scepter, PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP. RIC IV-2 24, RSC III 62, Sear RCV II 7347. 19 mm., 1.58 g.

Macrinus jpg version.jpg

I've posted my Roman Provincial coins of Macrinus & Diadumenian (from Marcianopolis) and of Diadumenian alone (from Nicopolis ad Istrum) within the last day or so, in the Marcianopolis and Artemis threads, so I won't repeat the descriptions here:

Macrinus & Diadumenian - Hermes photo jpg.jpg
    Diadumenian-Artemis (Nikopolis ad Istrum) jpg version.jpg

By the way, do we have a convention here on whether to spell those cities' names with a "c" (Latin) or a "k" (Greek)? It seems to me that even though the legends on the coins of those cities under Roman rule were in Greek, the cities themselves were named by Rome. For that reason, I spell them with a "c." But I see that others differ.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  21. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

For my discovery that Macrinus' coins dated TR P II COS followed rather than preceded those dated TR P II COS II, see my article on the Roman coinage of Macrinus and Diadumenian in Num. Zeitschrift 93, 1979.

The explanation is that Macrinus had been awarded consular ornaments while serving as Caracalla's praetorian prefect, but when he later assumed the actual consulship as emperor, he did not consider himself to be consul for the second time, equating the consular ornaments with a theoretical first consulship, but was satisfied with the rank of consul for the first time. Dio Cassius praises Macrinus for this demonstration of modesty, recording that Plautianus under Septimius Severus had been the first praetorian prefect who was awarded consular ornaments, and then ranked himself as consul for the second time when he later served as actual consul.

Draft saved Draft deleted