June 7th: FLORIAN is Emperor.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

The history
    There were Aurelian and Probus, but between them two Emperors who ruled briefly: Tacitus (7 months ?) and Florian (2-3 months) . After the unexpected death of his half- brother (?), Florian was elevated as the Emperor by the Senate June 7th 276 AD, but was unable to stand against the superior power and popularity of Probus. The armies of Syria and Egypt refuse to acknowledge him, and he led a large force to Taurus, expecting to easily crush the smaller army that Probus might field. His opponent, however, merely delayed the battle for supremacy, and wisely waited as the parching heat and his own agents to wore down the morale of Florian's troops. He was finally killed by his own men at the end of the summer after a reign of 2-3 months.

1D7B80BE-0F43-4FA2-909B-2D56CED44B6F.jpeg

The coinage
    Even if he had a very short reign, Florian issued an industrial quantity of coins baring his name and portrait. His coins were produced by all the mints except Antioch and Tripolis, which, no doubt, fell at once into the hands of his opponent Probus. The antoninianii are showing him wearing a radiate crown, while on other denomination he is depicted wearing a laurel wreath. He also struck a few quinarii in the silver series, and a few asses, but no sestertii or dupondii; rare denarii have also been produced. Florian restored the old senatorial letters S-C on his bronze coinage, but he is not credited with either consular or trebunician power. The more than seventy reverse types are, with few exceptions, lacking of originality, and such as are suggestive of peace, prosperity and good government.

54A65F63-B061-4C6A-9A3F-56220F814AF9.jpeg
    Harmony with the soldiers ? Pathetically, he was executed by his own soldiers!

The one military event of this period of time, the Asiatic victory, is celebrated by the reverses VICTORIA PERPETVA and VICTORIAE AVGVSTI, testifying that Florian shared the victory with his predecessor Tacitus. In 1876 in Italy, one of the largest late third century hoards (45,000 coins) was discovered, and the whole hoard was acquired intact by the local museum in Verona to be studied. The hoard, contained many very rare or otherwise unpublished varieties for this Emperor. S.Estiot published in 1987 a volume analyzing the Tacitus and Florianus specimens; no wonder why many references of these Emperors have a "La Venera" or "Estiot" number. If you are a fan of Florian, you got to buy "The complete coinage of Emperor Florian" by Rasiel Suarez (@Suarez); this work now takes an exhaustive survey to list nearly 1,000 varieties of this ruler. Interesting detail: coins continued to be minted after his death, possibly until late September or early October.

989F02A2-95B9-4C6A-A9B5-F9614FCF7E9E.jpeg
    Septimius Severus is the first Emperor to whom the title of PACATOR ORBIS is conferred, in the inscription of their coins, and later Caracalla, Gallienus, Postumus, Marius, Aurelianus, Florianus, Numerian used the same reverse type, but no longer by hope that by reality, because the world has never been at peace under any of these rulers... Savior of the world...but Florian could't save his own life...
    Please show me your coins of Florian, and why not, of his victorious enemy Probus !

ominus1, galba68, svessien and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Great write up and coins! Now, is it just me or does that Florian bust remind anyone of an emperor whoes name rhymes with Plaraplalla?
    Screenshot_20200919-193455_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

ominus1, galba68, Jims Coins and 9 others like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Ocatarinetabellatchitchix , always a great post! Thank you.

[​IMG]
    FLORIAN
    AE23mm 3.54g
    Antoninian/Aurelian (VF, patina, deposits)

AV: IMP C M AN FLORIANVS P AVG; radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from rear bust r.
    REV: CONCORD MILIT; Emperor togate stg. r., clasping the hand of Concordia stg. l.
    EXE: S
    REF: LV 2738; RIC V-1 57var (unlisted bust type), RIC Online #4294 7 specs listed, only one in La Venera, and only 2 from prior sales; 1st issue for Siscia mint, 2nd officina, july-august 276AD.
    A rare coin from a very brief reign, as Florian has only reigned for a couple of months in the summer of 276AD.
    Ex: @seth77

seth77, ominus1, galba68 and 11 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Great post, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix! Not only is this a chance to show off this Florian ...

[​IMG]
    Florian, AD 276.
    Roman billon Aurelianus, 3.28 g, 21.2 mm, 12 h.
    Cyzicus, officina 3; issue 1, AD 276.
    Obv: IMP FLORIANVS AVG, Bust right, radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum.
    Rev: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Victory stg. r., holding wreath in r. hand and palm against l. shoulder, facing Emperor in military dress stg. l., r. hand outstretched and holding long sceptre in l. hand; T in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 116; MER/RIC temp #4530; Cohen 15; CBN 1982-3; RCV 11853; Hunter 20.

... but also a chance to celebrate that Kraftwerk, co-created by that other late, great Florian -- Florian Schneider ...

... has been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!

Capture.JPG

ominus1, galba68, Jims Coins and 10 others like this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't have a Florian but I do have his successor, Probus.
    Perhaps this reverse is a nod to the fact that he was in harmony with those soldiers that removed the last guy? :)

Probus
    AE Antoninianus
    Cyzicus mint
    280 AD
    Obverse: IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Victory standing right holding palm, presenting wreath to emperor standing left, holding spear; officina letter between, XXIMC below.
    Probus.png

ominus1, galba68, Jims Coins and 9 others like this.
  7. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

FlorianAnt2.jpg
    Florian. 276 AD. Antoninianus (22mm, 3.79 gm, 12h). Serdica mint. Obv: IMP C M ANN FLORIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right. Rev: PRO-VIDEN DE - OR, Providentia on left standing right, holding ensign in either hand, facing Sol on right, standing left, raising right hand and holding globe in left; ✴ in lower field; KAB in exergue. RIC V 112. Unusual legend break of DE - OR (vs. D - EOR) on reverse legend.

ominus1, galba68, Jims Coins and 11 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

PROBUS

[​IMG]
    RI
    Probus 276-282 CE
    Ant 21mm
    Rome mint
    captive on ground, Riding Horse (SPLIT HORSE!)
    in ex R-Thunderbolt-Z
    RIC 155

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

florian 2.jpg
    FLORIANUS
    Silvered Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP FLORIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum bust r
    REVERSE: CONCORDIA MILITVM; Victory stg. r., holding wreath in r. hand and palm against l. shoulder, facing Emperor in military dress stg. l., r. hand outstretched and holding long sceptre in l. hand Q in ex.
    Struck at 4th officina, Cyzicus mint, July-August 276AD.
    4.4g, 20mm
    RIC V-1 116, RIC Online #4533
    Florianus1.jpg
    FLORIANUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP FLORIANVS AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Victory standing right presenting wreath to Florian standing left. Q in ex.
    Struck at Cyzicus, 276 AD
    2.9g, 21mm
    RIC 116q

ominus1, galba68, svessien and 12 others like this.
  10. Alegandron

TACITUS

[​IMG]
    RI
    Tacitus
    275-276
    CE AE
    Ant
    Providentia

seth77, ominus1, galba68 and 10 others like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Florian (276 A.D.)
    Æ(S) Antoninianus
    O: IMP C M ANN FLORIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: PROVIDEN DEOR, Providentia standing right, holding two ensigns, facing Sol standing left, raising right hand and holding globe; star in lower centre, mintmark –/–//KA(•)Γ(•).
    Serdica Mint
    22.6mm
    3.56g
    RIC 111, BNC p.408

http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/coin/4480?idType=4480

Published on Wildwinds!

ominus1, galba68, PeteB and 9 others like this.
  12. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Mean looking character - quite amazing to see many of his coins reflect the bust you have shown. I do not own a Florian as of yet .. but now I have to look for one!!

ominus1 likes this.
  13. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

It is a shame that neither Tacitus nor Florian issued Sestertii, but the artistry the celators were still capable of in these troubled times can be seen on their extremely rare Medallions. These two here are in the Berlin coin cabinett:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-07 um 06.53.14.png
    IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG / IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG
    AE-Medallion, Rome 275/276
    41 mm / 57,36 gr

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-07 um 06.57.25.png
    IMP C M AN FLORIANVS P AVG / RESTITVTOR SAECVLI VOT X
    AE Medallion, Rome 276
    39 mm / 23,01 gr

Alegandron, ominus1, galba68 and 14 others like this.
  14. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I don’t know why… but I’ve always chased coins of Florian. I just have always wanted a few really nice examples but am never up to spend what it takes to get them… so I bid and lose, bid and lose. But I did manage to get one pretty nice one and about 4 terrible coins that I won’t show here.
    FlorianRIC116.jpg

Alegandron, ominus1, galba68 and 11 others like this.
  15. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Florian - Felicitas
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-2tJ5sWR17Lc9ehrv.jpg
    Florian - Providentia
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-C4npIDbdybVqL1T.jpg

Alegandron, galba68, Tejas and 11 others like this.
  16. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

My nicest Florian:-

Obv:- IMP C M AN FLORIANVS AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:- VIRTVS AVGVSTI, Emperor advancing right, holding a shield and spear, treading down captive.
    Minted in Lugdunum (IIII in exe) Emission 3 Officina 4, from September to October A.D. 276
    Reference:- Cohen 107. Bastien 150. RIC 16 Bust type C

[​IMG]

Alegandron, galba68, Tejas and 11 others like this.
  17. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

18. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a Salus reverse posted yet, so here's mine:
    temp.jpg
    Billon Antoninianus
    Rome mint
    Obv: IMP C FLORIANVS AVG
    Rev: SALVS AVG - Salus, standing left, holding scepter and feeding snake rising up from altar
    XXIΔ in exergue
    RIC 40
    23mm, 3.7g.

19. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Florianus (A.D. 275-276)

Type: Silvered AE antoninianus, 23mm 4.1 grams, bulk of silvering intact.

Obverse: IMP FLORIANVS AVG, Radiate portrait right, draped and cuirassed.

Reverse: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Victory standing right, presenting wreath of victory to Florian standing opposite and holding spear.

Mintmark: S. (Cyzicus)

Reference: Cohen 15; Sear 11853.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alegandron, galba68, Andres2 and 8 others like this.
  20. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Sear 11851 Florian, June-August 276 AD.jpg

Not the easiest of emperors, Florian.
    Like many others, I have the CONCORD MILIT.

21. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Great write-up, so much I didn't know about Florianus and his brief reign.

I have three Ants of Florian, from different mints, with very different bust types and different reverses:

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 22.22.06.png Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 22.22.44.png Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 22.22.53.png

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted