Jumping On The Owl Bandwagon

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nemo, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the kind words. It's a hoot to be in the CT OOG! :rolleyes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Really nice example !!!
    Congrats.

Nemo likes this.
  4. KeviniswhoIam

KeviniswhoIam Well-Known Member

attica2.jpg Well, I guess I will throw my hat into the owl bandwagon, with this being my first. I am also new to coin picture taking, as well as trying to put together a picture which does not portray my photographic ineptitude!

5. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Really great example.

KeviniswhoIam likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You are too modest. Your photo is quite decent. To improve, I suggest looking at it and deciding what about the coin is not well represented and try to figure out what change you could make to improve that. If it were my coin and photo, I might see if I could rotate the reverse in a way that put a bit more light and detail on the owl's breast. You are far beyond the inept level. You will quite possibly find that a minor change that improves one thing will degrade another. You may well decide that this is the best possible photo of this coin but the only way to know is to try a few variations and see what you see.

It is a beautiful coin. Photographing it over and over should be fun.

lordmarcovan and KeviniswhoIam like this.
  7. KeviniswhoIam

I took about 10 pictures of the obverse and reverse, picked what I felt are the best two, and edited them from there. I do have the ability to alter certain parts of the coin via masking, and played with that a bit, but felt that the changes made it look a bit unnatural.
    Frankly, the easiest thing to do was take the picture and edit it. I had the most difficult time making the background black and then putting both coins in place.....THAT is the real learning curve for me! I've taken pictures for years....landscapes, animals, figuratives....but coins are surprisingly difficult!
    I won this particular one in an auction, and was pleased with it. I have always wanted to find the time to do a pictorial archive of my collection, but I find that time is a precious commodity for me.
    Thankyou, @dougDoug for your kind words!

8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I've seen some pretty nice examples in the $500-$1,000 range, but that's still a lot of money -- too much for me!

KeviniswhoIam likes this.
  9. KeviniswhoIam

From what I can tell, Donna, they aren't that rare. I just didn't want one that was terribly worn, and didn't have proofing marks (for lack of a better term). I don't really know how my owl grades, but it looks better than alot I have seen, but still surpassed by a few others which were a bit rich for my blood!

DonnaML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted