Jumbo fake coins, in case anyone asks...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ewomack, Nov 10, 2019.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I came across this display in a magic store in San Francisco. The coins were actually pretty large, maybe 4 - 5 inches in diameter. I was amazed at the variety of types that they carried - not only Shield Nickels, but Buffalo Nickels, Mercury and Roosevelt dimes, Walking and JFK halves, IHCs and behind the IHC was a Flying Eagle Cent. I resisted the urge to buy any - not that the urge was really hitting me too strongly anyway. The Shield Nickel was a little tempting because I had never seen a "novelty" Shield Nickel.

IMG_5288.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I remember these being sold for 25 cents each when I was a kid back in the 60's. They were made of cast aluminum.

Stevearino likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Why isn’t the 2 cent bronze looking?

5. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

It's a shield nickel. They do have similar designs.

6. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

I'm a collector of the Thermo Art Plastics series of scaled coin plaques that were produced in the early 70's, mostly for bank displays. Over the years many banks have closed which had these coin plaques on display, and they have become available to the public. They are large, with the Cent around 11", and Dollar around 22" diameter. I have nearly a full collection of them including both obverse and reverse of the Indian Cent, Lincoln Cent, Buffalo Nickel, Mercury Dime, Washington Quarter, Franklin and Kennedy Halves, Peace Dollar, Indian $5 and $10, and St Gaudens $20. There is also an Ike Dollar that I need to buy, and while I have not been able to verify existence of a $2.50 or $1 Gold, but they may be out there.

Ana Silverbell likes this.
  7. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

They were sold as companion items for people that did coin magic with Audience Participation. I use to make and sell a Penny riddle one. Will have to dig the patter sheet out. it was mainly for up scaling the regular coin magic for larger groups. Since coin magic is considered close up magic.

8. coinscoinscoins

coinscoinscoins Junior Member

9. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I don't know how you resisted on the Shield Nickel! I would have bought it.

@rmpsrpms: Have you posted a thread highlighting part of your collection? I think it would be interesting to see.

10. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Ana Silverbell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted