Julius Cesar Denarius, Moneyer S. Macer: Weakly Struck or Just Worn?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I have been looking at this J.C denarius for some time now, and the more I examine the more it affirms my belief that the coin saw relatively little actual wear (for sure circulated some), but most of the weakness seen is just a (really) poor strike. The obverse in particular is weak.

Not only was the strike way off-center, but also dramatically weak in parts. I have seen a few other J.C denarii like this.

What do you guys think, poor strike rather than circulation wear?

Julius Caesar. February-March 44 BC. AR Denarius. Rome mint. P. Sepullius Macer, moneyer.
    Obv: Laureate and veiled head right
    Rev: Venus standing left, holding Victory and scepter; shield set on ground to right. Crawford 480/13; Sydenham 1074.

IMG_5140_opt.jpg IMG_5145_opt.jpg

TJC, Alegandron, stevex6 and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree-- it's an uneven strike. The areas with few details didn't have enough metal to fill the dies recesses. I'd be happy to have this coin since the centering isn't too bad and much of the legends are visible :)

Okidoki and Eduard like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I agree - a bit of wear, but mostly a weak strike. Considering the haste with which most of JC's denarii were produced (out of military imperative), it's surprising that we have as many well-struck coins as we do. It is not the least bit surprising that most are weak.

Eduard and Theodosius like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

You lucky )%&, still want a portrait.

But like the others, looks like a poor strike. Still a great coin though, congrats.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I have one of these, and in almost every case the denarius shows evidence of (1) a weak strike, especially in the obverse wreath area of the portrait, and (2) an uneven, off-center strike.

On your coin, the obverse legends are decently strong, and on the reverse Victory is pretty well struck. As Julius Caesar denarii go, it's in relatively good condition.

Here's mine:

1c - Julius Caesar AR denarius.jpg

JULIUS CAESAR 100 - 44 B.C.
    AR Denarius (4.05 gm) Rome Feb. - Mar. 44 B.C.
    Sydenham 1072, Crawford 480/11
    CAESAR DICT PERPETVO Wreathed head of Caesar Rev. P SEPVLLIVS MACER Venus stg. L. holding Victory & scepter resting on star.

My portrait is not veiled, so a slightly different attribution from yours.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I agree. And I'd certainly take it into my collection.

Eduard likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I also agree about the strike versus wear of the OP coin...and I'd love to have it!!:hungry:

Of course, it goes without saying that I wish I could afford one nearly as nice as I-O-M's example:wideyed::woot:

Eduard likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It seems sad but the OP coin, for all its weak spots, is still above average and very fortunate to have the important parts strong and the lesser parts weak. Imagine the opposite coin with a strong back of the head and no face. The same goes for the reverse. I also would love the coin. Ides' coin is just a tiny bit (reverse centering) short of spectacular/perfection. I suppose the wreath could have a bit more detail but it hardly deserves mention when you consider what the other 99.9% of these look like. We all have to ask what to say about an issue when the best known not perfect. There are ancients that do not exist above "Fine Details". You can love them as they are or pretend they don't exist.

Paul M. and Eduard like this.
  10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I don't know what I like more about IOM's post: the coin or the photo. Both superb!

Thank you very much for your opinions. Seems you guys concur with my view.
    I forgot to mention that the planchet is not only oblong, but also not of uniform thickness throughout. Thicker on one side than the other.

This non-uniform thickness may explain part of the uneven strike and supports what TIF and J.A say.

I was lucky when this lot came up for auction some years ago: most people, including the auctioneer thought it was weak from wear. The off-center strike did not help either I guess. As a result it attracted relatively little attention and I was able to get it for a good price.

Carausius likes this.
  11. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

Datsuh niceuh! Giulio Cesare.

Paul M. and Bing like this.
  12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is an addition I would warmly welcome into my collection.

13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I like it. Enough of the coin's details were struck to give it good eye appeal. Plus, it's my favourite JC portrait style.

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a really nice one, Eduard. You have to be glad that that incredible wrinkled Adam's apple was not lost! :)

I have to say that I believe yours is Crawford 480/14 (without the shield) rather than 480/13. I think I see the scepter on your coin terminating at ground level with 480/14's star rather than a shield.

Poor centering and uneven strikes are practically a hallmark of these particular JC portrait issues...

IMG_8632.JPG

Eduard, Paul M., Carthago and 7 others like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Eduard, congrats on that sweet OP-addition ...

Oh, and that's always a total winner, Z-Bro (I love the Mick Jagger)

zumbly likes this.
  16. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Congrats Eduard, attractive example! Does look like more week strike than wear. Wish I had one to share but this type is likely to stay on my want list for a while.
    Yeah I'm a little jealous:)

17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you everybody.

I was looking further in ACsearch into Caesar's denarii of this type (moneyer Macer), and noticed that the two major types: Capite Velato (veiled head), and wreathed head are both about evenly distributed in terms of occurrence.
    I always thought the wreathed head was actually scarcer.

Zumbly, than you very much for posting your L.Aemilius Buca moneyer example.
    That is a very nice coin! (and much scarcer than the Macer type, it seems). Nicely centered and with full legends. Thank you also for setting me straight on the attribution. I think you are correct.

zumbly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted